Author Topic: UK review of EU engagement under way  (Read 699 times)

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
UK review of EU engagement under way
« on: 17:10 13-Jul-2012 »
Once more from my in-box today, we have a rather lengthy document laying out the terms of the (anticipated 2 year) review on the UK and its interests (or not) with (or within) the EU.

http://www.eufreshstart.org/downloads/full-green-paper.pdf

Maybe interesting for the Brits or EU watchers as it is likely to be the backbone for UK EU policy from 2014/15 onwards as well as results/findings being included election manifestos as future policy (or not).

One has to suspect that other EU capitals may well be carrying out a similar exercise either overtly or covertly.

"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
Re: UK review of EU engagement under way
« Reply #1 on: 05:38 14-Jul-2012 »
It seems to me that UK is apart from most of the rest, not only, for not being one of the Euro seventeen, but because there is a real debate about the pros and cons, and perhaps a somewhat more mercenary attitude. 
For most of the others a decision to leave might be forced, not their choice or preference, or because the EU has itself changed into something at odds with the national aspirations and ideals that inspired membership.

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
Re: UK review of EU engagement under way
« Reply #2 on: 16:46 16-Jul-2012 »
Further to that link above, I'll throw into the mix the statistical report from the boys and girls back in the boiler room of Chatham House, relating to public opinion on international priorities for the UK:

http://www.chathamhouse.org/sites/default/files/public/Research/Europe/0712ch_yougov_survey_0.pdf

Second most unloved county after Russia regionally is?  ::)
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me