Author Topic: Stupid Old Men!  (Read 1958 times)

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2616
  • -Receive: 801
Stupid Old Men!
« on: 16:27 08-Nov-2012 »
Somebody from New York forwarded me a statement under the heading, 'This is not the country I came to 30 years ago.'

I shall not comment on the political content of the statement; he and I have a right to disagree.
But the heading is a losers statement of a stupid old man.

Denmark is my country but today it is not Denmark of 1982 - for good and/or for bad.
I'm a man of 64, and certainly in 1982 I was healthier and stronger - sad, but normal.
My native Copenhagen does not exist anymore, but a new Copenhagen is there; Rome of my youth is gone, but there is still the urbs aeterna; no Yugoslavia anymore, but still the Dalmatian coast is fantastic; the wonderful Golden Town of Prague is now a turist trap, but wealthier than when Tania and I lived there; Tania says that the Kyiv she loved is down the drain, but there is more freedom and wealth. My kind and caring mother in law (she'll become 88 this December) longs back for the USSR, but she's still not senile enough to believe that it can and will come back. And I could go on like that.

My point is, that the world moves all the time; and we old farters may not like what it develops into. But, if we complain and propagate the past, the only relevant reply was made by Stephen King (in 'The Gunslinger series') - 'The World has moved on - and left you behind, old timer!'
« Last Edit: 17:00 08-Nov-2012 by Claus »

j'y suis, j'y reste!

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
Re: Stupid Old Men!
« Reply #1 on: 05:13 09-Nov-2012 »
They say wisdom is a result of experience,  but there is a new theory that healthy youthful minds have evolved illusions and oversized egos to enhance opportunities for survival.  According to this theory, those of us who indulge in few illusions of our own importance and superiority and value, are simply showing signs that our brains are past their prime, less organized, and the dismal nature of reality shows through the cracks.

Claus, for me, as an Amercan, the idea that in contradicting your NY friend, expressing a contrary opinion, even an annoying or mistaken opinion, on the generation gap, that somehow you are violating or detracting from his right to opine, that is an odd notion in my culture.   Of course, it may be that expressing such opinions has some more serious implications in your own culture?

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 15:29 09-Nov-2012 »
@ David - in my post I state clearly (or my American is too bad?) that he has every right to have his own opinion, just as I have the right to have another opinion.
No problem there, methinks.

But to wail that the world has changed over the last 30 years, that is what I complain about!

Generation problem, well he's 3 years younger than me...  8)
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 20:04 11-Nov-2012 »
I do understand what you have said.  I am merely expressing some curiosity about whether you have a personal aversion to discussing whatever NY was preaching about, or even whether discussing it might be somehow regarded as rude in Northern Europe. 

As for the generation gap, I wasn't thinking about a gap between you and NY , but rather assumed that NY was whining about, in his statement,  "Kids today," don't work, have no respect, discipline or character, etc.,  which is the usual rant, one might hear.

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 08:45 12-Nov-2012 »
1) ...whether you have a personal aversion to discussing whatever NY was preaching about, or even whether discussing it might be somehow regarded as rude in Northern Europe. No - I just think that it is not for me as a Dane to discuss USA politics in this forum.
2) ...NY was whining about, in his statement,  "Kids today," don't work, have no respect, discipline or character, etc.,  which is the usual rant, one might hear. No, he wasn't whining about 'kids today', he was whining about 'today' - and my point is/was that it's futile to do so.
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
« Reply #5 on: 17:55 12-Nov-2012 »
I always like the question is Canada better than Ukraine or the USA?
There is no better or worse, it is just what you like that makes the difference.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline misterb

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 313
  • -Receive: 346
« Reply #6 on: 19:15 12-Nov-2012 »
There is no better or worse, it is just what you like that makes the difference.

It is always a question of perception, and what set of circumstances will allow you to thrive as an individual or family. Some have a difficult time in Ukraine, and would be thrilled to move to Canada, and the opposite is also true for some who would rather leave Canada. Whatever tickles your pickle as some say!

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
« Reply #7 on: 19:46 12-Nov-2012 »

It is always a question of perception, and what set of circumstances will allow you to thrive as an individual or family. Some have a difficult time in Ukraine, and would be thrilled to move to Canada, and the opposite is also true for some who would rather leave Canada. Whatever tickles your pickle as some say!

Also depends where you were at in life also.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline misterb

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 313
  • -Receive: 346
« Reply #8 on: 19:58 12-Nov-2012 »

Also depends where you were at in life also.

Also. The variables and permutations could be endless. It all depends (not referring to the other kind of depends that some depend on ;D, pardon the pun). ;D

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: 20:05 12-Nov-2012 »
Give me north-east Greenland anytime - there is borealis, fish, and you need no fridge or freezer  ;D
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3116
  • -Receive: 4846
  • What's the future ever done for me?
« Reply #10 on: 20:46 12-Nov-2012 »
They got salo and beer?
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 06:55 13-Nov-2012 »
What, Greenland hasn't melted off yet?

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: 09:39 13-Nov-2012 »
Greenland, is one of the places I would like to visit.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Carlusha

« Reply #13 on: 15:36 13-Nov-2012 »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOnnHoFp5SE

The movie opens in Reykjavik, the capital of Iceland and doesn't actually arrive in Greenland until 3' 0". There are quite a few movies but this one seems the best.

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: 17:00 13-Nov-2012 »
Seems a little crowded there.....