Author Topic: Who Made Brits Eat Horse?  (Read 1143 times)

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
Who Made Brits Eat Horse?
« on: 19:15 10-Feb-2013 »
Who knows how long the British people have been eating horse instead of their traditional beef?  Nobody knows, not yet, and the ultimate masterminds of the substitution are as yet a mystery.  But, well... one can speculate about it...
   So, the trail of AuJus goes backwards, British or French retailers buying from British or French packagers who buy from British and French distributors, who in turn buy from Irish packagers, sourcing product from Poland and Italy which in turn buy from Rumania...  However, there is a suspicion that Russian mafia is involved.  And who could preside over a huge, complicated, possibly global fraud?  Who has done this sort of thing, over and over again? 
Could it possibly be that one of a few  Russian Uber-mafiosi, including Simeon Mogilovitch, would be responsible.   And if so, it is possible that this huge prank on the British has been purpetrated with the assent of the Kremlin.  Would anyone at the Kremlin be pleased to make the Brits eat horse? Revenge for providing santuary for Russian Oligarchs?   Nah, no way, can't be...  I must be turning into a conspiracy theorist.

http://mafiatoday.com/general-breaking-news/horsemeat-scandal-blamed-on-international-fraud-by-mafia-gangs/

Best TESCO jokes (from Metro)
http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/16/top-10-jokes-about-horse-burgers-following-the-tesco-revelation-3354967/

Best Twitter jokes from Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/twitter/9857264/Horse-meat-scandal-Twitters-best-and-worst-jokes.html

« Last Edit: 19:28 10-Feb-2013 by David Rochlin »

Carlusha

Re: Who Made Brits Eat Horse?
« Reply #1 on: 21:18 10-Feb-2013 »
Best one I saw was on FB which takes a swipe at illegal immigrants at the same time!

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 23:29 10-Feb-2013 »
Yes, well it all does go back to Romania which would appear to be a primary location where horses were processed into "Beef."  Romania's government is lamenting that they will soon be more or less out of business when their farm exports face various bans and restrictions.   UK's moratorium, preventing Romanian and other Eastern Europeans from seeking work in UK is about to end.  So, I guess UK can anticipate some huge number of Romanian job seekers entering UK, that or... Soylent Green.

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3116
  • -Receive: 4846
  • What's the future ever done for me?
« Reply #3 on: 15:35 11-Feb-2013 »
Tuesday is Soylent Green Day
IT'S PEOPLE!

Not cute little ponies, you guys are absolute savages!!!!
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 12:57 12-Feb-2013 »
Celebrate Soylent Green Day:
Party like it is 2022 !

Apparently EU laws prohibit blanket bans of food products unless there is a safety concern and real emergency.  Mislabeling horsemeat as beef doesn't seem to qualify as an act justifying, say restrictions on "Beef" imported from Romania:
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/8b94164c-7452-11e2-80a7-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2KghLaGxJ

Get your Soylent Green Snack crackers here:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e9aa/
I am checking to see if as a grocer, I can buy them by the case direct from Parallax Corp.
« Last Edit: 13:50 12-Feb-2013 by David Rochlin »

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 19:03 14-Feb-2013 »
I have ordered a full case of Soylent Green crackers direct from David Garth, the Brit who runs Parallax Corp., out of San Francisco.  He indicates that my store will be the first ordinary grocery store to have Soylent Green snacks on the shelf.  His other customers are specialty retailers, Think Geek, comic book stores, joke stores, and the like.
Imagine the consternation of my customers when they suddenly realize Soylent Green is now just another product at the Supermarket...

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2616
  • -Receive: 801
What's wrong with horse-meat?
« Reply #6 on: 20:02 14-Feb-2013 »
We have a number of Danish dishes where horsemeat is recommended as one prime ingrediant (or is that -ent?).
It's tasty, it's juicy, perhaps a little rough, but then mince it.
If you want, I can tell you how to make 'million-beef', my Ukrainian family was shocked with delight; but only after they had gorged did I tell them, it was horse  ;D.
Seems that the problem is pre-prepared lasagne (I can not refrain from remarking, that if you buy 'pre-prepared' you deserve whatever you get!), with the declarations not in order - but so far I saw nobody claim that the declaration said that the meat was cow, lamb, pork; and horse, is 'meat'. So, if the declaration said, 'meat', what's the prob?
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 21:00 14-Feb-2013 »
Claus, there were a couple of different scandals, the Findus Brand, Lasagna was one of the two biggest, but the other scandal related to raw ground beef sold in such markets as TESCO, in UK.  This product proved to have as much as 20% horsemeat.   I guess there is speculation that some of the horses may have been drugged with chemicals that might present some minor hazard to humans.  Meat originating from Romania, where there have been restrictions on horsemeat due to a communicable disease, could be a problem.  But, for the most part, the EU regards this as an issue of labeling fraud. 
   As you know, many Brits are sensitive about the treatment of animals, and the "Organic" food trend has made them a fussy group of consumers.  Not to mention that horse is not a part of Traditional British cuisine.  So, it is only to be expected that this situation is going to piss them off more than it would, say, the French, who certainly are upset, but are known to consume horsemeat voluntarily.
   By the way, some slaughterhouses in Yorkshire and other local places have been shut down in UK, so that the crisis isn't all international in terms of sourcing the meat.  In other words, they ate their own pet horses!

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
« Reply #8 on: 21:59 14-Feb-2013 »
I've tried a horse meat a few times but I can't say it tastes as good as beef. I also can't say that I agree with slaughtering horses. The meat is dry, tough and has very little fat. Horses are also companion animals. They have personalities and a lot of spirit. It's not like killing a stupid animal like a cow or a chicken which don't serve much purpose other than food.
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.