Author Topic: Thoughts on the news from the Vatican  (Read 8737 times)

Offline MWDabbs

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 217
  • -Receive: 285
    • Opera Mobile Store Blog
Thoughts on the news from the Vatican
« on: 00:59 13-Feb-2013 »
Curious -- what everyone thinks about a) the Pope's announcement to resign and b) the Vatican getting struck by lightning the same day? 

Neither happens frequently.  The lightning so far has been determined to be real, still being investigated. 

We cannot afford governments that cannot afford to take care of our veterans.

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1318
  • Statue of the Motherland
Re: Thoughts on the news from the Vatican
« Reply #1 on: 06:57 13-Feb-2013 »
He was never the best loved of Popes, and so will be among the least missed.  Perhaps the lightning and his resignation show that he does have a good or bad political sense, depending upon whether the lightning struck after or before the resignation.

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
« Reply #2 on: 08:57 13-Feb-2013 »
He was probably about to be exposed for diddling little boys.
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3120
  • -Receive: 4849
  • What's the future ever done for me?
« Reply #3 on: 10:22 13-Feb-2013 »
The lightening was to recharge the crappy batteries in his pace maker.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline fionnain

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 159
  • -Receive: 136
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #4 on: 15:15 13-Feb-2013 »
Papal resignation is a good idea.  If he can no longer do the job he should call it quits. 

I believe that he was a compromise candidate because he was already very old when first elected.  Everyone knew he would not be Pope for a very long time due to his age. 

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #5 on: 15:41 13-Feb-2013 »
None of Catholic faithful should see the Pope's resignation as a bad idea, as to do so would put the entire concept of papal infallibility into doubt - a cornerstone of the Vatican.  :D

As he is still in post until 28th February, his decision as the current Pope therefore must be infallible - On 1st March when he is no longer Pope, then possibly, that decision then may be open to scrutiny by the devout Catholic flock.  ;)
« Last Edit: 15:42 13-Feb-2013 by P-N »
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Offline lordtiberius

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 445
  • -Receive: 30
  • Freedom for Ukraine
    • My cv
« Reply #6 on: 19:53 13-Feb-2013 »

slander much?
My comic is about the Russian submarine Kursk. Check out the first 5 pages & tell me what u think!  https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kursk-by-Sasha-Janowicz/444388175655458?ref=tn_tnmn

Offline lordtiberius

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • Freedom for Ukraine
    • My cv
« Reply #7 on: 19:54 13-Feb-2013 »
None of Catholic faithful should see the Pope's resignation as a bad idea, as to do so would put the entire concept of papal infallibility into doubt - a cornerstone of the Vatican.  :D

As he is still in post until 28th February, his decision as the current Pope therefore must be infallible - On 1st March when he is no longer Pope, then possibly, that decision then may be open to scrutiny by the devout Catholic flock.  ;)

the pope is only infallible when it comes to moral teaching not things like auto parts or astrophysics
My comic is about the Russian submarine Kursk. Check out the first 5 pages & tell me what u think!  https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kursk-by-Sasha-Janowicz/444388175655458?ref=tn_tnmn

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #8 on: 20:09 13-Feb-2013 »
the pope is only infallible when it comes to moral teaching not things like auto parts or astrophysics

And there is no moral teaching in the ability and desire to relinquish power for the greater good - despite the fact it is more than 600 years since a previous Pope resigned?
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Offline lordtiberius

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • Freedom for Ukraine
    • My cv
« Reply #9 on: 20:46 13-Feb-2013 »

And there is no moral teaching in the ability and desire to relinquish power for the greater good - despite the fact it is more than 600 years since a previous Pope resigned?

I am sorry.  I don't understand your point.  Can you please elaborate?

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
« Reply #10 on: 21:02 13-Feb-2013 »

slander much?

It would be a real shocker if a high ranking Catholic priest were indicted for such a thing or concealing it, wouldn't it?

He gives me the creeps, and how can anyone be taken seriously who dresses like that and expects people to refer to him as "His Excellency" and kiss his ring? What century are we in?
« Last Edit: 21:14 13-Feb-2013 by kyivkpic »
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline fionnain

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 21:10 13-Feb-2013 »
I am trying to figure out why there is any controversy in the Pope resigning on 28 February?  The fact that it has not been done in approximately 600 years should not matter.  This man is old and has admitted that he does not have the strength to perform his Papal duties.  I think he is being unselfish in relinguishing power and authroity. 

As to Papal infalibility, it is simply a dogma of the Catholic Church that was first defined in the First Vatican Counsel that met in 1869-70 and before that time had never been defended.  It means that the Pope is preserved from the possiblity of error when, in the exercise of his office as Shephard and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole church. 

The dogma is very limited and does not mean that the Pope is right about everything.  Essentially, he is the Supreme Court in matters of Church Doctrine and morality, a court of one of last resort on Earth.  He decides what will be accepted as formal beliefs in the Roman Catholic Church.

Constructive critism is not a bad thing, but denegrating the Pope with unfounded comments that he is a pedofile serves no purpose but to make this forum look bad and hurts everyone. 

The thread was started to seek thoughts and comments about the first papal resignation in more than half a millenium.  I hope that it can stay on track. 

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #12 on: 21:11 13-Feb-2013 »

I am sorry.  I don't understand your point.  Can you please elaborate?

The point is that there can be an inferred moral and ethical lesson from this act of voluntary resignation from an otherwise powerful office/job for life (or rather until death over the past 600 years anyway) - Particularly in an era of falling dictators and rising authoritarianism during his time in office - and therefore this decision can possibly be seen to be covered by papal infallibility by those who may want to stretch matters (and no doubt there will be some) - as I (somewhat sarcastically) pointed out in my previous post to which you responded with some nonsense about auto parts and astrophysics.

Anyway, returning to the OP and knowing MW Dabbs as I do, I suspect he was subtly attempting to see if the papal resignation and the lightening strike on the Vatican the same day, would have somebody raise the issue of the Prophecies of Malachi (if indeed they are rightly attributed to Malachi of course).
« Last Edit: 21:20 13-Feb-2013 by P-N »

Offline lordtiberius

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • Freedom for Ukraine
    • My cv
« Reply #13 on: 21:16 13-Feb-2013 »
I am sorry.  But conversation is just not possible without insults or an apology for said insults. God Bless You.

Offline fionnain

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: 21:24 13-Feb-2013 »

slander much?

It would be a real shocker if a high ranking Catholic priest were indicted for such a thing or concealing it, wouldn't it?

He gives me the creeps, and how can anyone be taken seriously who dresses like that and expects people to refer to him as "His Excellency" and kiss his ring? What century are we in?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

At least 1 Billion Catholics world wide take him seriously, so you are most definetly in the minority in disliking his attire and his person.  Live and let live and let freedom ring!!