Author Topic: Interesting from Canada  (Read 4085 times)

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2616
  • -Receive: 801
UNinteresting from Canada
« Reply #15 on: 17:34 16-Feb-2013 »
... as for presidents, here's a link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States

Concerning Ike, whom I respect - he put power behind equal rights, he pointed out the danger of the industrial-military conspirancy; he was not a great general and it was foolish of him to have tricky-dicky as a VP. But he was a man of integrity!
I did not know that he did fly-fishing, but so much the better - so did I in my younger years  ;D
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Offline fionnain

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 159
  • -Receive: 136
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Re: Interesting from Canada
« Reply #16 on: 22:20 16-Feb-2013 »
"That his back ground is not a typical Canadian. Plus he is known for his anti french and his religious views."

And what, pray tell, would be a typical Canadian background? Being a Jew explains his anti French and religious views?

Being Jewish would explain his view on religion, because Judaism is a religion  :D :D :D :D :D.
Montreal , based on the government since 1960's, there is a battle between the English/Immigrants and Quebecois on language rights. He would fall into the Immigrant category. Montreal is a very polarized town.  Canada typically has a moderate approach than this guy.

I know plenty of Jews that do not practice and do not give a hoot about religion.  When speaking of Jews, there are many, many differents kinds and beliefs.  Reformed, Orthadox and Messionic are three that come to mind.   

BTW, I thought most Canadians and English were anti-French  :D :D :D :D :D, but I could be wrong.   

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 768
  • -Receive: 1067
« Reply #17 on: 00:42 17-Feb-2013 »
"That his back ground is not a typical Canadian. Plus he is known for his anti french and his religious views."

And what, pray tell, would be a typical Canadian background? Being a Jew explains his anti French and religious views?

Being Jewish would explain his view on religion, because Judaism is a religion  :D :D :D :D :D.
Montreal , based on the government since 1960's, there is a battle between the English/Immigrants and Quebecois on language rights. He would fall into the Immigrant category. Montreal is a very polarized town.  Canada typically has a moderate approach than this guy.

I know plenty of Jews that do not practice and do not give a hoot about religion.  When speaking of Jews, there are many, many differents kinds and beliefs.  Reformed, Orthadox and Messionic are three that come to mind.   

BTW, I thought most Canadians and English were anti-French  :D :D :D :D :D, but I could be wrong.

Again, he is a polarizing person in Quebec and Quebec has language issues which makes it difference than the rest of Canada. Jewish population in Montreal are quite traditional and influential.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Galganov

http://www.galganov.com/
« Last Edit: 04:31 17-Feb-2013 by clanholmes »
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
sigh from a moderator
« Reply #18 on: 15:01 19-Feb-2013 »
Friends, could we keep all and any religion out of the discussions here?
Or do we need a special thread for 'religion'?
Let me count on my artheris-crookked fingers (I list them according to the Latin alphabet:)

There is Buddism, but in that belief there is no god
There is Christianity, always in civil war
There is Hinduism, with a lot of gods
There is Islaam, based on the old testament and the thorah
There is Judaism, with one god whom they consider a contract partner
There is Shintoism, which I can't grasp (my fault)
There are probably a lot of other religions, of which I know naught

All very good, let whomsover believe in whatsoever.

But - please we're a multinational, multicultured page.

Do not use your faith - whatever - as proof of anything. And let's not argue over it. Just keep it out of discussions  :)
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3116
  • -Receive: 4846
  • What's the future ever done for me?
Re: sigh from a moderator
« Reply #19 on: 16:41 19-Feb-2013 »
Let me count on my artheris-crookked fingers (I list them according to the Latin alphabet:)

Do not use your faith - whatever - as proof of anything. And let's not argue over it. Just keep it out of discussions  :)

One of my early favorites form B5...a short list for Claus
Babylon 5 - Introduction of Various Earth Religions to Aliens
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
Re: sigh from a moderator
« Reply #20 on: 16:43 19-Feb-2013 »

Claus. certain religions have beliefs that helps determine their point of view, thus with this gentleman, he is a part of Jewish Defence league, thus he has a more hawkish view of the USA and more orthodox view of a family. Not saying it is right or wrong, but it shows more of his perspective. Same as he is Anglophone living in Montreal which have seen their power dwindle and many right taken away.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
Religion - please banned here!
« Reply #21 on: 16:57 19-Feb-2013 »
@Fraucha: I consider it funny, thanks. But perhaps other readers may be insulted. Why not keep this kind of stuff out of here?
@Clan: I know that, of course; but I'd be happier if we all, all the time would keep religion (and 'race') out of the discussions.
j'y suis, j'y reste!

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
Re: Religion - please banned here!
« Reply #22 on: 17:22 19-Feb-2013 »
@Fraucha: I consider it funny, thanks. But perhaps other readers may be insulted. Why not keep this kind of stuff out of here?
@Clan: I know that, of course; but I'd be happier if we all, all the time would keep religion (and 'race') out of the discussions.

Religion is a choice, Race is not. Being a part of Jewish Defence league also shows his attitude to other things like Guns and defence of Israel. Bashing a religion is not acceptable, but stating that he believes that guns are more acceptable because his involvement in the Jewish Defence League is fair comment. They believe that owning weapons and defence of Israel
"The Jewish Defense League (JDL) is a Jewish militant organization whose stated goal is to "protect Jews from antisemitism by whatever means necessary".[1] While the group asserts that it "unequivocally condemns terrorism" and states that it has a "strict no-tolerance policy against terrorism and other felonious acts,"[2] it was described as "a right-wing terrorist group" by the FBI in 2001.[3][4] According to the FBI, the JDL has been involved in plotting and executing numerous acts of terrorism within the United States.[3]"
Claus, there is no way around it. Being part of this organization helps determine his thought pattern about guns & violence which he wrote about. I can be Christian, but not sponsor violent measures like blowing up abortion clinics. I can be a Muslim, but not Al Queda.

Socrates

Read, but not write

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: 17:25 19-Feb-2013 »

Here is a thread "Thoughts on the news from the Vatican  "

I guess it is only the "J" Word you want to keep out. Again he is a part of a group that believes the use of violence is ok to defend their religion.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: 20:38 19-Feb-2013 »

Well, actually it is NOT funny, nor is it a joke. In the context of the show and the episode the Commander(Sinclair) was demonstrating the different religions of the planet Earth to each of the individual Ambassadors in the opening sequence. Most planets in the show had ONE religion and fought wars from planet to planet, here Earth has many many religions and yet, somehow managed to survive. It demonstrates the human diversity and is a direct slap to anyone who thinks that one religion is a correct one and also demonstrating it is a choice.

Babylon 5 was a 5 year exercise with multiple messages from diplomacy, religion, social ills and values and the futility and stupidity of war etc. There was a certain episode that focused on a war between two of the main characters planets/societies/religions that managed to fling asteroids on the enemies planet. A reality, I might add that is not that far off considering there are some private companies entertaining the prospect of asteroid mining. Asteroids are much cleaner than nukes....anyway I digress.

So, tell me, Claus, how can this video insult anyone? Are they insulted that their religion was mentioned or not? If so then you only listed 6 who should be insulted?
« Last Edit: 04:57 20-Feb-2013 by Fraucha »
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline clanholmes

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: 11:19 20-Feb-2013 »
Claus is just being over sensitive to the possible issues coming from religious bashing that may impact this site. Aka the pandora's box. But the note that we talk about other religions, but it is one particular one has stirred Claus.
Socrates

Read, but not write

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: 14:37 20-Feb-2013 »
But if we are equal opportunity bashers is it okay?

Offline misterb

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 313
  • -Receive: 346
« Reply #27 on: 15:19 20-Feb-2013 »

Are you actually projecting your own ideology? You obviously have not spent much time in Canada, and if you did it was in redneck country. Why would most Canadians be anti-French? 25% of Canadians speak French and parents who are enrolling their children in French immersion is on the rise. Unlike the United States, we welcome multiculturalism and don't employ such expressions as ''melting pot''.

FYI, the author in question from the OP, is widely known for being a bigot himself, at minimum. I loosely agree with his comments on a return to values in parenting, society, etc., although using such information for the purpose of partisan politics and party bashing is idiotic and disrespectful to those that have and do die in such circumstances. Gladly, a minority of Canadians would agree with such banter, and are able to have an informed and intelligent debate.
« Last Edit: 15:47 20-Feb-2013 by misterb »

Offline fionnain

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 159
  • -Receive: 136
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #28 on: 16:07 20-Feb-2013 »

Are you actually projecting your own ideology? You obviously have not spent much time in Canada, and if you did it was in redneck country. Why would most Canadians be anti-French? 25% of Canadians speak French and parents who are enrolling their children in French immersion is on the rise. Unlike the United States, we welcome multiculturalism and don't employ such expressions as ''melting pot''.

FYI, the author in question from the OP, is widely known for being a bigot himself, at minimum. I loosely agree with his comments on a return to values in parenting, society, etc., although using such information for the purpose of partisan politics and party bashing is idiotic and disrespectful to those that have and do die in such circumstances. Gladly, a minority of Canadians would agree with such banter, and are able to have an informed and intelligent debate.

No sense of humor Aie?  The French invite jokes about them because of their snob attitudes.  They are just a little too sensitive about themselves, but do not give a damn about others.  With Allies like the French, better build your own Army or you will be in danger on your flanks. 

Oh well, at least it is refreshing to see someone finding anything interesting about Canada and defending the Great White North.

BTW, what is wrong with the melting pot?  It made America a great nation and the so called "multi-culturalism" is nothing more than a modern day Tower of Babble.  When in Rome, do as the Romans do!!

What made America a great country and World Super Power was the fact that all Americans shared a common language and melted into the American Culure.  America became one Country and stood united to save Europe from evil in two world wars.  Immigrants assimilated and a distinct and unique American Culture emerged.  Today, we have people that want to be a separate culture and country within a country and all this does does is polarize and push us one step closer the Balkinization of America. 

European nations were the cause and source of the worst wars in the 20th Century.  Many different cultures and many different languages that eventually clashed causing the deaths of millions and millions of people. 

So, you can have your multi-culturaism, but keep it out of America.  Besides, multi-culturalism is an excuse for bashing the white man and blaming all evil on him, while accepting and glorifying the evils of any non-white, non-European country or culture. 
« Last Edit: 16:16 20-Feb-2013 by fionnain »

Offline misterb

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 313
  • -Receive: 346
« Reply #29 on: 16:48 20-Feb-2013 »

So, you can have your multi-culturaism, but keep it out of America.  Besides, multi-culturalism is an excuse for bashing the white man and blaming all evil on him, while accepting and glorifying the evils of any non-white, non-European country or culture.

And you plan to set up shop in Ukraine?   ??? ??? ??? :D :D :D

FYI, ''The French'' and French-Canadians and even Quebecois are greatly different.