Author Topic: Building a house in Ukraine  (Read 15859 times)

Offline Kord

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 541
  • -Receive: 341
Re: Building a house in Ukraine
« Reply #45 on: 22:07 01-Jul-2014 »
Glyn you must have been born with the Midas touch.

Bold move with leaving your interior wall finish as concrete.

Kitchen looks great too.

Congratulations.

Offline Glyn Thomas.

• All this work and I get called:
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 717
  • -Receive: 2029
    • Kiev Life
« Reply #46 on: 07:54 02-Jul-2014 »
Thanks - it does cause some raised eyebrows but eventually I can see exposed concrete being all the rage... especially when they calculate they don't need plaster, paint and then carpet on the walls.

lol
I am the shadow of the waxwing slain.. by the false azure of the windowpane...

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
« Reply #47 on: 08:47 02-Jul-2014 »
A few metal gears and industrial what-nots on the walls and you can start a Steam Punk theme.

Carlusha

« Reply #48 on: 13:25 02-Jul-2014 »
Thanks - it does cause some raised eyebrows but eventually I can see exposed concrete being all the rage... especially when they calculate they don't need plaster, paint and then carpet on the walls.

lol

Any wall covering would do after 17 years exposure to carpeted walls in various relative's and friend's homes. Thankfully, my babushka has seen the light!

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: 13:29 02-Jul-2014 »
Carpeted walls. Still don't get it. Never will. Looks stupid, looks ugly and god damn hard to walk on the side of a wall.

Offline BubbaGump

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 653
  • -Receive: 818
« Reply #50 on: 15:37 02-Jul-2014 »
Carpeted walls. Still don't get it. Never will. Looks stupid, looks ugly and god damn hard to walk on the side of a wall.

...but great for alcoholics and those who don't know which end is up...
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Offline ash

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #51 on: 19:48 22-Aug-2014 »
I'm curious about how you found the plot of land, what it cost, and the general area of where it is? (How far to a metro stop?)

Offline Kord

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 541
  • -Receive: 341
« Reply #52 on: 15:39 04-Apr-2015 »

I may finally have an answer for the mysterious conundrum of the carpeted walls.

Whenever I visit my wife's mother's home my clothes gather a coating of old paint due to my brushing up against some walls that have not been re-painted in a while. The carpets are there to prevent old paint from rubbing off on clothes.

The other theory I have is based on the old -Soviet notion that a carpet meant that your family was better off than non-carpet owning families. Hence carpets were a kind of status symbol. Hanging that bling on your wall maybe was one-upmanship for mere floor covering.

Offline BubbaGump

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #53 on: 16:12 04-Apr-2015 »
...will stick with the rationale the wife gave me...soundproofing...based on experience, it makes sense...
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Carlusha

« Reply #54 on: 17:38 04-Apr-2015 »
My other half said it began in the late 50s when cheap sheet Khrushchyovka building programme took over from the better, more solidly constructed Stalinka buildings. The standard of the former was so bad with extremely poor insulation AND soundproofing qualities, fitting carpets to the walls served fairly well to reduce this annoying feature of "modernity".

Offline BubbaGump

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #55 on: 17:56 04-Apr-2015 »
My other half said it began in the late 50s when cheap sheet Khrushchyovka building programme took over from the better, more solidly constructed Stalinka buildings. The standard of the former was so bad with extremely poor insulation AND soundproofing qualities, fitting carpets to the walls served fairly well to reduce this annoying feature of "modernity".

...same explanation received...forms a consensus...good enough for me...

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #56 on: 18:00 04-Apr-2015 »
That's why they put carpets on the walls?

Carlusha

« Reply #57 on: 18:33 04-Apr-2015 »
That's why they put carpets on the walls?

Perhaps they also believe Lionel Ritchie might visit?

Offline steveo

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 245
  • -Receive: 417
« Reply #58 on: 07:19 05-Apr-2015 »
The one answer I've heard for the 'carpet on the walls' conundrum is that the carpet was 'too nice' to put on the floor, and that it would get ruined if people walked on it...strange but true...

Offline Art

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 23
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #59 on: 18:01 29-Apr-2015 »
When I was in Istanbul, I was in a carpet shop where everything was hand woven. It took an Artist 6 months or longer to weave such a beautiful rug. They are made to hang on the wall. It is a form of artwork. Many very famous Artists designed these, but other people did the actual weaving. Tapestry!