Author Topic: First experience on opening an account ...  (Read 2003 times)

Offline manano2k

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 67
  • -Receive: 12
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
First experience on opening an account ...
« on: 15:48 05-Aug-2013 »
 Well , off we went to Privat Bank here in Alchevsk only to be turned down by the nice lady in charge of opening accounts ..

Unfortunately my temp residence card has a correction on my name which has been corrected over by hand .. Didn't pose any problems for the last 3 times that I entered and exited from the country at the immigration counter , BUT apparently the sweet lady in charge of opening accounts had a problem with this DESPITE the Ovir putting an official stamp where they made the correction !

Despite my assurances to the lady , she simply said that it was their banks policy not to accept any documents with any corrections !!

Needless to say that 20 mins later I was turned away from the bank and she said that she would call my wife in a couple of days and let us know if u was 'approved' or not ..

Sigh ...

Offline misterb

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 313
  • -Receive: 346
Re: First experience on opening an account ...
« Reply #1 on: 06:40 06-Aug-2013 »
Well , off we went to Privat Bank here in Alchevsk only to be turned down by the nice lady in charge of opening accounts ..

Unfortunately my temp residence card has a correction on my name which has been corrected over by hand .. Didn't pose any problems for the last 3 times that I entered and exited from the country at the immigration counter , BUT apparently the sweet lady in charge of opening accounts had a problem with this DESPITE the Ovir putting an official stamp where they made the correction !

Despite my assurances to the lady , she simply said that it was their banks policy not to accept any documents with any corrections !!

Needless to say that 20 mins later I was turned away from the bank and she said that she would call my wife in a couple of days and let us know if u was 'approved' or not ..

Sigh ...

If it's not one thing it's another in Ukraine. ''Standardization'' is like a beautiful mirage in the desert, and Ukraine seems to be getting closer to it, but in reality, it doesn't exist, here anyway.

I would just waltz back in there every day for the next week, and politely tell the woman every day, ''if OVIR approved that documentation, which is your official documentation that represents your person in Ukraine, ''how then can your bank refuse it?'' You can't very well return to OVIR and request another document because they'll only tell you that everything is proper in their eyes and send you off. Between a rock and a hard place. Take some other documentation with you that will confirm your identity from your native country (photo ID), or your marriage certificate. Although, the transliteration from a foreign document won't help you very much in that case.

Offline manano2k

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 09:08 06-Aug-2013 »
That's what I plan to do .. Or else maybe open an account in Donetsk where they may have greater experience :)

Thanks for the advice misterb :) I will post the final outcome in a few days should things change :)

Offline steveo

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 245
  • -Receive: 417
« Reply #3 on: 10:37 06-Aug-2013 »
Hi manano2k,

It isn't about 'greater experience', it is pretty standard universally with banking that they won't accept documentation where there is any ambiguity with names. Not your fault, and really it is something that OVIR should have issued you with another document rather than correcting a document in that way, but as misterb points out, it could be difficult to get a new card issued, I would persevere however and ask at OVIR to issue a new TRP card with the correct spelling of your name, explaining your circumstance, you may find that it could cause further problems later on if you don't sort it out.

Offline manano2k

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 19:47 06-Aug-2013 »
thanks Steveo :) I thought about that .. but seeing that i MAY be close to getting my PR I am hoping that it's not worth the hassle of going to the Ovir .. That is in itself a lengthy process (I think) ..

also I travel often so staying here for an extended period of time is difficult for me ..

I am called to the Ovir office on Thursday and then I will know my situation with regards to the PR .. if it's going to take time , i may get the TPR changed as you rightly pointed out ..

as for the bank account , no one called as yet so i may go down to the bank again in a couple of days and ask politely again :)