Expatriate Life > Learning a new language

Language Lesson 5 - Traditional Ukrainian dishes

(1/1)

Glyn Thomas.:
The traditional Ukrainian dishes

Traditional dishes: Borsch, vareniki, cabbage rolls, uzvar are the essentials of the traditional Ukrainian table.

Borsch is a vegetable soup with meat or mushrooms of Ukrainian origin that is popular in Eastern Europe. One of the most popular dishes on ukrainians? table. Main ingredient of read borsch is beetroot. Ukrainian borsch has around 20 different ingredients. It is usually served with pampushkas and sour cream.   

Varenyky is a traditional ukrainian dish. This small triange- or crescent-shaped are dumplings of unleavened dough stuffed with meat, mushrooms, vegetables, fruits, berries and cottage cheese. Traditional ukrainian stuffings for varenyky are: cherries, cottage cheese, cabbage, potatoes, poppyseed. It is usually served with sour cream. 

Cabbage rolls -  is a dish consisting of cooked cabbage leaves wrapped around a variety of fillings. In Europe, the filling is traditionally based around meat with rice or buckwheat. It is common to the ethnic cuisines of the Balkans, as well as other parts of Europe such as Finland and Sweden, and the Middle East.   

Uzvar is a kompot prepared from several kinds of dried fruits (original recipe features apples, pears and prunes) sweetened with honey or sugar. It is a traditional ukrainian Christmas drink also popular in southern regions of Russia. 

Sayings:  If there is borsch and cabbage at home, there is always something to eat (Borsch i kapusta, v dome ne pusto), Bread is the staff of life (Khleb vsemu golova).

In the restaurant (an example of odering the traditional dishes):
- Zdravstvuite!(Hello! )
- Zdravstvuite!(Hello! )
- Vot meniu, pozhalusta(Here is our menu)
- Spasibo! (Thank you!)
- Chto budete zakazyvat? (What would you like to order?)
- My hotim poprobovat? kakie-nibud traditzionnye ukrainskie bliuda. Chto posovetuete? (We would like to try some traditional ukrainian dishes. What would you recommend?)
- Poprobuite ukrainskiy borsch, varenyky i uzvar. (You can order the ukrainian borsch, varenyky and uzvar.)
- Borsch s pampushkami I smetanoi? Prekrasno! A vareniki s chem? (Borsch with pampushkas and sour cream? Sounds great! And what type of vareniki?)
- Mozhno c miasom, kapustoi, tvorogom ili vishnei (We have vareniki with meat, cabbage, cottage cheese or cherries.)
- Vareniki s tvorogom I smetanoi, pozhalusta? (Vareniki with cottage cheese and sour cream, please.) 
- Okay!

Claus:
I may not agree with the selection  :D
But good info!

Viiking:
     I finally found a good place for a traditional American hamburger (not McDonalds) here in Ivano-Frankivsk.    I savored every bit of it!    It was my first since arriving in I-F back in November.   

Carlusha:

--- Quote from: Viiking on 09:36 02-Oct-2013 ---     I finally found a good place for a traditional American hamburger (not McDonalds) here in Ivano-Frankivsk.    I savored every bit of it!    It was my first since arriving in I-F back in November.   

--- End quote ---

This topic os for language lessons! What our Viiking meant was either:

Я, нарешті, знайшов гарне місце для традиційних американських гамбургерів (Не McDonalds) тут, в Івано-Франківську. Я смакував кожну частину його! Це був мій перший починаючи з прибуття в якщо назад в листопаді.

or

Я, наконец, нашел хорошее место для традиционных американских гамбургеров (не McDonalds) здесь, в Ивано-Франковске. Я смаковал каждую часть его! Это был мой первый начиная с прибытия в если назад в ноябре.

:D :D :D

Sorry!

djwebb1969:
these all nice too:

okroshka - a cold soup
kholodets - beef aspic (meat in a sort of jelly) - a cold dish that takes all night to make
galuptsy - peppers stuffed with rice and mince

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version