Author Topic: Language Lesson 6 - Souvenirs  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Glyn Thomas.

• All this work and I get called:
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 717
  • -Receive: 2029
    • Kiev Life
Language Lesson 6 - Souvenirs
« on: 07:12 07-Oct-2013 »
From our partner NovaMova:

LESSON 6
TRADITIONAL UKRAINIAN & RUSSIAN & SOUVENIRS

Ukrainian classics:

"Pysanka" is a Ukrainian Easter egg, decorated with traditional Ukrainian folk designs using a wax-resist (batik) method. The word pysanka comes from the verb pysaty, "to write", as the designs are not painted on, but written with beeswax. 

"Rushnyk" is a ritual cloth embroidered with symbols and cryptograms of the ancient world. They have been used throughout Eastern Europe in sacred rituals, religious services and ceremonial events such as weddings and funerals. In rituals it acts as a gift, amulet, coverlet, decoration or a symbol of festive occasion.

"Vyshyvanka" is the Ukrainian traditional clothing which contains elements of Ukrainian ethnic embroidery. Many variations of its design were created. Usually, it was made of homemade linen which was produced by loom. Local features are usually represented in the shirt's ornamental pattern. Nowadays vyshyvanka became a trendy attribute of a suit and you can see more and more men and women in modern vyshyvankas.

Russian classics:
"Matryoshka" doll is a set of wooden dolls of decreasing size placed one inside the other. Number of  nested dolls inside varies from three and more. They are usually egg-shaped with flat bottom and consist of two parts, the upper one and the lower one.  Traditionally the outer layer is a woman, dressed in a red sarafan and shawl.

"Samovar" is a heated metal container traditionally used to heat and boil water in and around Russia. Though traditionally heated with coal or charcoal, many newer samovars use electricity to heat water in a manner similar to an electric water boiler. Antique samovars are often displayed for their beautiful workmanship.

Ukrainian / Russian: "Horilka" or "Vodka" ? the sure gift   :P

Dialogue V magazine suvenirov? At the souvenir shop?

- Dobryi den! Pokazhite, pozhalusta, etot rushnyk/matreshku? Good afternoon! Can I take a look at this Rushnyk /Matryoshka please.

- Bolshoi ili malenkyi? for Rushnyk. Bolshuiu ili malenkuiu? for Matreshka. The bigger or smaller one?

- Vot etot, bolshoi, s krasnym risunkom ? for Rushnyk. Vot etu, bolshuiu- for Matreshka. The bigger one, with red tracery.

- Pozhalusta. Eto traditzionniy ukrainskiy/ruskiy suvenir! - Here it is! This is a traditional Ukrainian/Russian souvenir.

- Mozhno ia posmotru poblizhe?  Can I take a look at it?

- Konechno! Tam eshche vnutri piat? matreshek - for Matreshka. A vot posmotrite eshche ukrainskie i russkie suveniry: vyshyvanka, pysanka, samovar. Sure! Inside there are 5 more dolls. Here are some more Ukrainian and Russian souvenirs: samovar, pysanka, rushnyk, vyshyvanka.

- Spasibo, ia voz mu rushnyk/matreshku. Skolko on/ona stoit? Thank you, I will buy the matryoshka. How much is it?
- 200 griven. 200 UAH.

- Vozmite, pozhalusta, dengi. Spasibo! Here is the money. Thank you!

- Pozhalusta! Prihodite eshche! You are welcome! Will be happy to see you back!

« Last Edit: 07:16 07-Oct-2013 by ace123 »

I am the shadow of the waxwing slain.. by the false azure of the windowpane...

Offline Viiking

• Ruthenian
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 251
  • "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.?
Re: Language Lesson 6 - Souvenirs
« Reply #1 on: 09:43 10-Oct-2013 »
 Post removed as being off topic slightly (like my hamburger comment).   Sorry but the lesson on food was read just before dinner!
« Last Edit: 13:28 10-Oct-2013 by Viiking »
Military Historian and Translator