Author Topic: Getting From Kiev Airport To Kharkov  (Read 2519 times)

Offline rigi

• Subscriber
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Getting From Kiev Airport To Kharkov
« on: 00:38 08-Feb-2009 »
Hi Everyone

need help getting from Kiev airport to Kharkov  with two small kids

our options are bus to Kharkov or getting to Kiev to the train station

any help

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1030
  • -Receive: 1340
  • Statue of the Motherland
Re: Getting From Kiev Airport To Kharkov
« Reply #1 on: 01:46 08-Feb-2009 »
Autolux:
This is one of the best bus companies to use in Ukraine.  I have taken their bus from KBP airport to Odessa or back, several times.
Click on 'The Schedule,' to see the Kyiv to Kharkov schedule.
Note that times might have to be adjusted, because you would be taking a bus from KBP to the Kyiv Autolux bus station, then transfering to a bus heading to kharkov.

http://www.autolux.ua/english/company/html
You can buy a ticket online.  Looks like it would end up around $16 per passenger.   Don't forget that you are starting from Borispil...  (I did once...)
The bus is fairly modern, like a tourbus, and they even serve coffee on board.  There will be some rest stops.
I have also used the Gunsel Bus company.  Not quite as nice, but not bad and a good option, because sometimes their schedule is a couple hours different from Autolux, which might work out better with your airport arrival or departure time.  I don't know if you can book online, not apparently on this site, and I don't have a link for their schedule:
http://www.gunsel.com.ua/site
You can go pretty much anywhere on the train, but the train takes about 12 hours to go pretty much anywhere, being as it travels in a big circle around the country.  I wouldn't recommend it, unless you just have to do it once to get it out of your system, that you might be missing something.  You aren't...

You can also take an internal flight from KBP to Kharkov on Aerosvit if the price is not critical.  This would be the most comfortable and fastest way.  My experiences with booking flights is that one way booking is usually far less than half the price of round trip.  A flight to Odessa might be $42-$65 one way, but round trip is about $182.  Note, that in most medium sized Ukrainian cities, bus schedules offer more departure/arrival options than plane travel.  So, often you might have a long layover if you travel somewhere by plane, and might as well save money, taking a bus.
You can book online:
http://www.aerosvit.com/
« Last Edit: 02:09 08-Feb-2009 by David Rochlin »

Offline rambo

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #2 on: 04:16 08-Feb-2009 »
Bus: As David says, Autolux is great. The trip will take around 8 hours. Cost is approximately $15 one way. From Kiev's Borispol airport (Terminal B), it is easy to catch the bus since it stops very close to the terminal. When you arrive in Kharkov, the bus terminal is very close to the center of the city and a taxi to anywhere in Kharkov should cost no more than $7.

Plane: My favorite option since it is the fastest one. You are in the air for approx one hour. Booking in advance is essential. Aerosvit planes are ok, but most are pretty old and I worry much about how safe they are. Cost is approximately $100 one way. Booking in advance is essential. Kharkov airport is roughly half an hour (assuming it is not rush hour) by taxi from the center of Kharkov and the taxi should cost no more than $12.

Train: Safest and potentialy slowest option. Unless you have someone in Kiev who can purchase the tickets for you in advance, you could have a lot of difficulty trying to find tickets for the 17:30 express service to Kharkov (which takes about 8 hours). The regular trains are much slower and frustrating. Cost is approximately $15 for a one way ticket. Also, going from Kiev's Borispol airport to the train station can be an expensive and time-consuming affair. Kharkov's train station is very close to the center of the city and going there by taxi should cost no more than $5.

Hope this helps.

Offline matlockk

• I used to live here
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 163
  • -Receive: 134
« Reply #3 on: 06:50 08-Feb-2009 »
The Dniproavia flight from Kiev to Kharkov is a modern Embraer jet and is in the air for about 1 hour. I don't think the cost difference is enormous compared to others. Just give yourself 3 hours between arrival and transfer to domestic.

Offline rigi

• Subscriber
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: 21:34 09-Feb-2009 »
is it better to order tickets for Autolux bus in advance from their web-site?

Carlusha

« Reply #5 on: 21:47 09-Feb-2009 »

I haven't personally ordered from their internet site but a good friend did a couple of months ago for the KBP to Odessa run without any problem. He did ths to ensure a seat but reported the bus wasn't full. He also recommended booking the VIP bus if one operates on your route.

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1030
  • -Receive: 1340
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #6 on: 22:18 09-Feb-2009 »

I haven't personally ordered from their internet site but a good friend did a couple of months ago for the KBP to Odessa run without any problem. He did ths to ensure a seat but reported the bus wasn't full. He also recommended booking the VIP bus if one operates on your route.

The VIP bus is better, but...
Although the trip shaves off a couple hours, with fewer stops, VIP on Autolux often depart a couple hours later, so that you end up at the destination at almost the same time.  VIP costs almost twice as much, so that a flight, if available, is about the same cost, one way (for Odessa, it was.) 
Also, VIP was not sold (for Odessa,)  on the website, as of three months ago.  To get a ticket for a VIP bus, you had to email the company, and use the phone.  The online "Store" does not let you book in an automated fashion, unless you are buying a regular service, ticket.