Author Topic: Happy Independence Day 2014  (Read 3766 times)

Carlusha

Happy Independence Day 2014
« on: 23:27 03-Jul-2014 »
It's your day. Enjoy.

Best wishes to all expatua members who care.

Offline Glyn Thomas.

• All this work and I get called:
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 717
  • -Receive: 2028
    • Kiev Life
Re: Happy Independence Day 2014
« Reply #1 on: 04:58 04-Jul-2014 »
Still reckon we could run it better but it may be too late.  8)
I am the shadow of the waxwing slain.. by the false azure of the windowpane...

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3116
  • -Receive: 4846
  • What's the future ever done for me?
« Reply #2 on: 06:59 04-Jul-2014 »
But we would have to drive on the wrong side of the road and send our prisoners to Australia.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline Viiking

• Ruthenian
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 251
  • "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.?
« Reply #3 on: 07:18 04-Jul-2014 »
     I am enjoying being at work  :(    As a Ukrainian employee I do not get this day off  :'(

I just heard about even more changes to the Ukrainian constitution on the news this morning.   They will tweak it to death I am afraid.   Problem for us Americans we think our constitution it is too sacrosanct to change although a few changes such as term limits and killing off the electoral college might be good ideas.

Happy Fourth to my fellow Americans!    Ray
Military Historian and Translator

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4042
  • -Receive: 1741
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #4 on: 07:22 04-Jul-2014 »
Happy 4th everyone. 

We'll be celebrating at TexMex with Lviv's newest expat family.  I hear Chef Mike's gonna do it up special.
Recent science has shown that saliva causes cancer, but only swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

Offline Viiking

• Ruthenian
  • Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 251
  • "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.?
« Reply #5 on: 07:50 04-Jul-2014 »
Happy 4th everyone. 

We'll be celebrating at TexMex with Lviv's newest expat family.  I hear Chef Mike's gonna do it up special.

Heck, we do not even have a McDonalds in our neck of the woods just 116 klicks away (Ivano-Frankivsk) which would be an hour in the states and not three as it is in Ukraine.   I have heard about Chef Mike.   I understand he is American.   
Military Historian and Translator

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 541
  • -Receive: 812
« Reply #6 on: 07:55 04-Jul-2014 »
Happy 4th everyone. 

Heck, we do not even have a McDonalds in our neck of the woods just 116 klicks away (Ivano-Frankivsk) which would be an hour in the states and not three as it is in Ukraine.   I have heard about Chef Mike.   I understand he is American.   
Not only is he American, more importantly, he is from the great state of Colorado!  ;D
"But if history teaches anything, it teaches that simpleminded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly. It means the betrayal of our past, the squandering of our freedom."

Ronald Reagan

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4042
  • -Receive: 1741
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #7 on: 08:00 04-Jul-2014 »
He's from Colorado, Ray.  And the restaurant is done completely American style.  The entire staff is required to speak English (they're mostly English students at Uni) and good service is stressed as the top priority.

Mike even dragged my wife and I into the kitchen to tell the cooks they did a good job.  They're still learning that refried beans must have water added occasionally to maintain the correct viscosity.  They were properly impress and are paying more attention to details now.

Chef Mike's certainly showing the locals a thing or two as well.  It seems that nearly every night there are some local cafe owners stopping in for the experience and asking "how you do "this"?
Recent science has shown that saliva causes cancer, but only swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 541
  • -Receive: 812
« Reply #8 on: 08:06 04-Jul-2014 »
Happy 4th everyone. 

Many thanks and happy Fourth, Tim and Katya! As Lviv's newest expat family, Nina and I await Chef Mike's special efforts, and your pleasant company, with breathless anticipation. Along with the family will be three other IDP's from Donbas to share in their first celebration of our Independence Day.

Ace, the UK might have run it better, but we Yanks would all be sure votes for UKIP (independence has undeniable appeal...) and Nigel Farage!  :D
"But if history teaches anything, it teaches that simpleminded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly. It means the betrayal of our past, the squandering of our freedom."

Ronald Reagan

Offline AUSSIEPAT

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 159
  • -Receive: 228
  • Well, here I am...
« Reply #9 on: 11:35 04-Jul-2014 »
But we would have to drive on the wrong side of the road and send our prisoners to Australia.

We drive on the CORRECT side of the road...  If I want to lean out the window with my uzi, I don't need to be a southpaw to do it...  :P

And what exactly, may I ask, is wrong with being born of prisoners?  We have many "good" politicians and businessmen in Oz (all of them dead unfortunately...)

Anyway, Happy 4th to all US expats here...
Confucius say? if you run into Vladimir the Kremlin-based midget on the street, just shift into reverse and keep going.

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 11:59 04-Jul-2014 »
  If I want to lean out the window with my uzi, I don't need to be a southpaw to do it...  :P

Well, I leaned my new thing for today!!
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
« Reply #11 on: 12:06 04-Jul-2014 »
I miss America. I miss Republicans who are against abortion but are for the war , and Democrats who think men putting their penises in other mens' hairy buttholes should be celebrated but that eating meat is gross.
« Last Edit: 12:18 04-Jul-2014 by kyivkpic »
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline BubbaGump

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 653
  • -Receive: 818
« Reply #12 on: 12:19 04-Jul-2014 »
And what exactly, may I ask, is wrong with being born of prisoners?

...absolutely nothing...why...the USA owes much to you Aussies for giving us such luminaries as Olivia Newton-John, Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman...umm...uhh...maybe I need to go lie down for a while...forget all I just said, okay?

:D :D :D
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: 12:21 04-Jul-2014 »
I remember a great Aussie TV show

Prisoners of Cell Block H.

fun times...

Offline AUSSIEPAT

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 159
  • -Receive: 228
  • Well, here I am...
« Reply #14 on: 12:29 04-Jul-2014 »

...absolutely nothing...why...the USA owes much to you Aussies for giving us such luminaries as Olivia Newton-John, Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman...umm...uhh...maybe I need to go lie down for a while...forget all I just said, okay?

:D :D :D

You can keep Mel Gibson, and Nicole Kidman, but Hugh and Olivia are definitely ours to keep.....
Confucius say? if you run into Vladimir the Kremlin-based midget on the street, just shift into reverse and keep going.