Author Topic: Kaliningrad  (Read 1291 times)

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
Kaliningrad
« on: 15:51 28-Dec-2014 »
It appears the Lithuanian Consulate has closed in Kaliningrad, with a few sensible/reliable commentators claiming 9000 Russian troops mobilised and a lot of port activity.

Another "planned exercise" nobody knew about - or something more sinister?

"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3116
  • -Receive: 4846
  • What's the future ever done for me?
Re: Kaliningrad
« Reply #1 on: 16:16 28-Dec-2014 »
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2473
  • -Receive: 1869
« Reply #2 on: 16:43 28-Dec-2014 »
It may be saber rattling  caused by Lith. going Euro next month and further away from Vlad the Bad.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/World/2014/12/21/Russia-growls-across-the-border-as-Lithuania-readies-for-euro/
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline P-N

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 634
  • -Receive: 2266
  • Cogito Ergo Sum
    • Odessatalk
« Reply #3 on: 17:21 28-Dec-2014 »
The military drills I can understand given the more prominent role conventional military has been given in the new RF military doctrine - that was nothing more than stating The Kremlin intends to bait NATO on a continuing and escalating basis. 

It's the closure of the Lithuanian Consulate that is a surprise, despite the rhetoric Lithuania has spewed forth toward The Kremlin.  The Russian Kaliningrad residents get to travel 50km into Poland of Lithuania for shopping more or less as they wish.  Closing the Lithuanian Consulate would seem to state that the agreement with Lithuania may not hold much longer.

If that is the case, the question is whether it is to protect Lithuanian interests on their soil (rabble rousing or "incidents"), or whether it is to try an up the pressure cooker in Kaliningrad to turn its ire toward the Kremlin.  Last time that happened The Kremlin had to send in forces from outside its enclave because those stationed there refused to suppress the population.

There's not been any reported serious upturn in the usual and continual prodding of Lithuania by Kremlin fingers, so it seems a little difficult to fathom.

« Last Edit: 20:42 28-Dec-2014 by P-N »
"When surrounded by the dark void of the willfully blind, it does not excuse those that are a spark of light their duty to shine" - Me

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #4 on: 05:24 29-Dec-2014 »
It can also relate to espionage.  Perhaps Lithuania felt the Consulate doesn't have expertise or security, or integrity to deal with sensitive business.
Maybe some sort of incident, or massive corruption happened there that the home office felt was a threat and determined that they could better control matters centrally from the embassy.

Carlusha

« Reply #5 on: 16:33 29-Dec-2014 »
Cast your expert eyes over this snippet:

http://intelnews.org/2014/11/13/01-1595/