Author Topic: Chewing tobacco & cigars in Odessa  (Read 5646 times)

Carlusha

Re: Chewing tobacco & cigars in Odessa
« Reply #15 on: 08:41 29-Jun-2015 »
I went back to Fortuna yesterday and picked up a Partagas Serie D #5. Good news and bad news. Good - its probably real. The band looked fine and it had 3 caps. Most fakes don't bother putting on 3 caps. I didn't have my glasses with me so I couldn't read the box code. The lady said I could smoke it in the shop if I wanted to so I assumed it was ready to smoke. I say "probably real" because it didn't taste right. I just finished it a few minutes ago. I'm guessing it was under a year old and, therefore, not smokable. Seeing the box code would have shown me the date it was rolled. It had a hint of the Cuban twang and the dark ash associated with Cubans.

The bad news. They're more over priced than I thought. I paid $25 US for that cigar. I just checked Puro Express and it costs $7.42 there ($185.50 for a box of 25.) So they're marking up the cigars over 200%. That's not good. So I wont be going back there.

...... and when you returned home, picked up your glasses, was the date within the box code OK?

Offline Drathaar

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 56
  • -Receive: 27
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #16 on: 20:25 30-Jun-2015 »
I went back to Fortuna yesterday and picked up a Partagas Serie D #5. Good news and bad news. Good - its probably real. The band looked fine and it had 3 caps. Most fakes don't bother putting on 3 caps. I didn't have my glasses with me so I couldn't read the box code. The lady said I could smoke it in the shop if I wanted to so I assumed it was ready to smoke. I say "probably real" because it didn't taste right. I just finished it a few minutes ago. I'm guessing it was under a year old and, therefore, not smokable. Seeing the box code would have shown me the date it was rolled. It had a hint of the Cuban twang and the dark ash associated with Cubans.

The bad news. They're more over priced than I thought. I paid $25 US for that cigar. I just checked Puro Express and it costs $7.42 there ($185.50 for a box of 25.) So they're marking up the cigars over 200%. That's not good. So I wont be going back there.

...... and when you returned home, picked up your glasses, was the date within the box code OK?

I only bought one cigar. I left the rest of them there with the box  ;)

Adjusted so that D's comment is OUTSIDE the quotation field!

« Last Edit: 08:43 01-Jul-2015 by Old Perdun »

Offline Drathaar

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: 21:08 23-Aug-2015 »
I found a site that delivers here from the UK. The only American chew they have is Grizzly. I ordered from them yesterday. The package should be here next week. I could only enter the address in English, so hopefully it makes it.
http://mrsnuff.com/

For cigars I'm using my Cuban source that I used in the U.S. I've been using this guy for about 10 years and can guarantee he sells the real deal. I didn't inspect the ones at Fortuna. I didn't want my first impression from the manager to be a bad one. I did run across some fakes here a few years ago though. In the U.S. we guard our Cuban sources, over here I don't think I need to.
www.puroexpress.com

He's got a few non cuban cigars as well - Zino and Davidoff. In my opinion, both brands are way overpriced. They're good, but you can get better for a lot less.

Mr Snuff didn't end well. I still haven't received my order and they're being dicks about a refund. I've ordered twice from Norhterner since then and have both orders. http://www.northerner.com/
Be careful with the European chew, its all pouches. The good news is they have American chew as well. It takes longer to get here because it has to be shipped from the US for some reason. But it gets here.

Also, I wanted a new pipe and couldn't find anyone to ship here. I went to Peterson's website because I wanted a 2015 St Patrick's day pipe and they don't ship here. So I contacted their customer service to see if they knew who would ship here. They couldn't answer the question but they sent me a pipe anyway. I had to give my info over email, I couldn't order via their website still. Also, they didn't have any St Pats pipes so I got something else. I still want that pipe though!

Offline Nfdavis12

• Subscriber
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #18 on: 07:47 30-Dec-2016 »
Hey,

I just arrived in Odessa from USA yesterday.  I'm looking for Skoal and Grizzly.  I see that this post is a little over a year old, but I didn't know if you knew where I can get some locally.

Thanks
Nathan

Offline Drathaar

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: 18:44 23-May-2018 »
Sorry, just saw this. There is no chewing tobacco in Odessa and probably none in Ukraine. I used Northerner.com to get it. I've since quit by using vaporizers. I had my last vape about 3 weeks ago. It took about 3 years to step down from 25 mg to zero.

I came back to this thread because I went to Fortuna today and they've closed up shop. They were moving all the shelves out when I got there. I need a new place.

Offline jbenet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 936
  • -Receive: 742
  • Death to (your name here)!
« Reply #20 on: 20:58 24-May-2018 »
I was gonna say, reading this, that that Fortuna tobacco shop shut a while ago... good on ya for quitting... my mom died FROM smoking, 2 packs a day since she was 16... had a good 50 years of it though...

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1025
  • -Receive: 1336
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #21 on: 01:28 25-May-2018 »
I sell chewing tobacco in America, expect to be in Kyiv in two or three weeks and may be able to bring something as far as Kyiv.  I will not be in Odessa, however.

Tnic

« Reply #22 on: 10:53 25-May-2018 »
I sell chewing tobacco in America, expect to be in Kyiv in two or three weeks and may be able to bring something as far as Kyiv.  I will not be in Odessa, however.

He quit Dave.