Expatriate Life > Visa and Immigration

Successful TRP! - British National in Kharkiv

(1/5) > >>

Koua:
Hello everyone!

I joined here a few months ago in preparations for my own TRP. I'm really happy to now post that I have successfully received it, with all of its bureaucratic magic. I thought perhaps I could try to give back to the forum in some way by outlining how my process was different compared to the guides available here.

Firstly, your nationality is very, very important. I am British and it cost $1400 to get my Visa D in the London Consulate. I was also quoted this exact amount from Moldova, Belarus, and Poland, so where the Consulate is based does not matter in this regard. This was also for the fifteen day route and the man who was in charge of the visa processing at the Consulate told me it costs twice as much for three days (the fastest, according to him) and he did not recommend it. In his words, it was 'not worth it'.* So, whilst considering going for the Visa D, remember to quote your nationality to whatever Consulate you are going to before arriving! I did this and it saved a lot of heartache. The prices seem to fluctuate a lot these days.

Secondly, in Kharkiv at least, the ZHEK no longer has any involvement in your TRP or registration. This is now handled between the OVIR and the passport control centre here. The OVIR was very informative in this process and so if in doubt, ask questions before being shuffled down the queue again!**

Despite the back-and-forth between the OVIR and the passport control office once I was back in the country with my Visa D, it was relatively smooth and the personnel dealing with the process were very professional. The medical insurance was in the same building as where I had to hand in my initial applications, and all were very patient with my questions. There were a lot of people in Kharkiv going through the same TRP process so it seems they're quite overloaded with applications from what I saw. Just go early, bring a bottle of water, and also a lot of small change! (The random payments for 'processing' nearly screwed us over at one point, but luckily an attendant was very kind and lent my husband some small change... as I said, the staff could not have been more helpful  :) )

Finally, the list of what I needed for the TRP, in case it helps anyone in Kharkiv. (Although I would always recommend asking the OVIR for specifics for your situation)

* Marriage Certificate
* Passport copy (notarised and translated) - it also had to be a copy of after I received my Visa D
* Medical insurance (for one year)
* Visa D
* Applications (from myself and my husband)
* Six passport-sized photos
If anyone has any questions on my experiences, just ask. I could go on forever about little details, giving advice, rambling, but here are what I say are the more important points about what I learnt and anything else I can go into upon request! To anyone going for the Visa D/TRP route - the best of luck.

*If anyone does go to the Ukrainian Consulate in London for their Visa D, I recommend getting there at least an hour before they open, as the queues are surprisingly long and people begin queuing early. You will not get a pass for being there for the Visa D.
** As a note for anyone dealing with the OVIR in Kharkiv, it gets crazy and very, very busy. Prepare for a potentially long wait and to revisit 4-5 times for different stamps and queries. The queuing system beginning outside is also a waste of time if there for the TRP - the department in charge of them will queue people separately once the building opens regardless of the names on the list outside. (If you ever go there, this will make sense)

Hairball:
I am a USC that just went through the process also. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be. We made a vacation out of it and went to Krakow....Great Place :)

My wife called the consulate before we left to make sure we had all documents needed. When we arrived at the consulate, we were the only people there. We took gifts of American cigarettes and candies and the women working there squealed in delight. They filled out my "D" application and had me sign on the check mark.

Of course all documents that were in English were translated and notarized, then copied.

Marriage certificate
Insurance
Passport
"D" visa application
Notarized letter from wife to say she was responsible for me
Wife's passport
2 Passport photos

Then they gave me a paper to take to the bank around the corner to pay the fee of $325 USD and a 5 Zolty bank commission. When we returned back to the consulate, there was one woman at the counter. When she left the woman said my passport with "D"  visa would be complete in 5 minutes :)

When we get back to Kyiv, we go to OVIR on Saturday morning.( Now my wife had already had been there a few times before to make sure we had it right before even starting this process.)

It was smoking hot and so I dressed for the weather.....Then I get a big no! "Dress respectful" we are going to government building.
I am sweating my ass off in the bus and she grabs my hand and says this is our stop.

Damn, I have seen ghettoes that were more appealing. We enter a dark smelly building that the concrete was worn down to the steel. Crawl up four flights of stairs and step in a hallway that was packed with people. She says to wait here while she disappeared in the crowd.
I was trying to make the best out of things and checking out all the people, the condition of the building and ect. Then a lady came out of one of the offices ballistic and causing a big scene. Then some dude comes out of another office with 1/2" of paperwork swearing in English saying these f@#king people are crazy...

My wife calls me into a office to meet Mr Brickface...give him my passport and he looks at the same paperwork that we took to the consulate. He mentioned that my "d" was not copied. He has me sign a paper in a couple of places with the check marks and we give him four passport photos.  Then she tells me to go back to the hall and wait. She comes out in a few minutes and we walk to the end of the hall and have some documents made, then shove money in a purple box and get receipts and head back to Mr.Brickface's office...I wait in the hall some more, then wifey comes out grabs me and I go in to sign a paper that has my passport photo on it....He tells us TRP will be ready next week, and come back to get it. We have to register with ZHEK with in 10 days.
 Pretty simple....we leave and wife asks me if I want to go for coffee.....No! I want beer....cold beer

That is my story and I an sticking to it :D

Koua:

--- Quote from: Hairball on 12:28 01-Sep-2015 ---I am a USC that just went through the process also. It was not as difficult as I thought it would be. We made a vacation out of it and went to Krakow....Great Place :)

--- End quote ---

Congratulations! Sounds like your process was a lot easier... and less expensive  :'(  The beer was still well-earned though. I think myself and the husband drank through a good two or three bottles of wine the weekend after...

86aaaaa:
The posts here state that documents need to be "notarized" but Ukraine is party to the agreement (forget the name) which requires documents to be certified by "Apostille" not notarized. http://mfa.gov.ua/en/consular-affairs/consultation/apostily

Which brings to mind a question: should I, before I leave, get my divorce decree Apostilled here in The-Land-That-Ronald-Reagan-Built or can I just bring it with me and get it Apostilled at the US Consulate in Odessa when (if??) I ever need to have it done?

Carlusha:

--- Quote from: 86aaaaa on 08:08 20-Oct-2015 ---
.... can I just bring it with me and get it Apostilled at the US Consulate in Odessa when (if??) I ever need to have it done?

--- End quote ---

Unless there has been a recent change, as far as I am aware, only China, Russia (may have closed), Georgia, Moldova, Greece, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey have consular offices in Odessa.

Back to topic .....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version