Author Topic: Cell phones and data plans  (Read 2222 times)

Offline 86aaaaa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
  • I'm typing my personal tag line riiiiight... now
Cell phones and data plans
« on: 01:24 14-Oct-2015 »
Hi fellow board members! While thinking of my upcoming move to Ukraine it occurred to me that I have no idea if there is cell phone data service everywhere and if so is it 4G, LTI, 3G, 2G, etc. I thought this might make a handy reference for newbie expats as well as those planning a trip or thinking of living in Ukraine.

If you would like to participate, and you live in Ukraine:
Please respond with your city, name of cell service provider, and type of data plan(s) available. Add'l info such as data limits, cost, if it's prepaid or bundled would be nice to have also  ;D ;D ;D

(if you don't live here but have a significant other here then give their info please)

SINE QUA NON

Offline SteveH

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 983
  • -Receive: 251
Re: Cell phones and data plans
« Reply #1 on: 01:55 14-Oct-2015 »
http://www.kyivstar.ua/en/kr-620/mm/

http://www.life.ua/uk/mobilnij-zvyazok/taryfy/

A Lot of Mobiles are Dual Sim, allowing 2 Separate networks, Even some Modern Smartphones, Microsoft Lumia`s.

Carlusha

« Reply #2 on: 08:04 14-Oct-2015 »
No 4g in Ukraine but old faithful 3g is available but sucks in many areas.  :(

May be excellent reception and 3g coverage for the guy whose apartment is next to the phone mast (while he is at home).   :)

Offline Remington

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 216
  • -Receive: 191
« Reply #3 on: 13:13 14-Oct-2015 »
May be excellent reception and 3g coverage for the guy whose apartment is next to the phone mast (while he is at home).   :)

Yup and he'll feel fuzzy warm in the winter from massive radio signals. :D

Offline djwebb1969

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 43
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #4 on: 16:10 14-Oct-2015 »
I have to say that in most parts of the Kiev metro you can get a mobile phone signal - on the London underground you can't.

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 543
  • -Receive: 812
« Reply #5 on: 18:09 14-Oct-2015 »
There's free wifi in many public facilities. I don't use my phone data very often.
"But if history teaches anything, it teaches that simpleminded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly. It means the betrayal of our past, the squandering of our freedom."

Ronald Reagan

Offline 86aaaaa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 13:16 17-Oct-2015 »
I have to say that in most parts of the Kiev metro you can get a mobile phone signal - on the London underground you can't.
Never been to Kyiv but aren't the trains and trams all above ground? Or is it a subway, parts of it anyway?
SINE QUA NON

Offline djwebb1969

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 43
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #7 on: 13:49 17-Oct-2015 »
Never been to Kyiv but aren't the trains and trams all above ground? Or is it a subway, parts of it anyway?

Trams are above ground in all countries!!

The metro trains are underground, at least in most parts of the network. When you cross the river Dniepr, yes, you are on an overground (super-riverine, if I may make a word up) bridge. But the stations either side are underground.

I can't remember if there are some stations overground - as in London, there may be. But the metro/subway/underground is underground -- and very, very deep underground. You'll be surprised how long the escalator trips are to get down to the platforms.

Offline 86aaaaa

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 14:01 17-Oct-2015 »
No 4g in Ukraine but old faithful 3g is available but sucks in many areas.  :(
Checking out the links in SteveH's post I see that 3g in UA is faster than 4g or 4g "LTI" here in the states. I guess it would depend on your area there as it does here.
I'm just glad that the service is available.   :)

By the way, I can't make cell calls in my apartment here in a big metro area of Texas. Hope that helps expats there, if anyone was beginning to get homesick.
SINE QUA NON

Offline roz

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #9 on: 09:15 11-Nov-2015 »
Worth mentioning that cellphone coverage all around Ukraine is really good - Kyivstar better than MTS generally and includes almost all rural areas and better than in many EU countries.  'Free minutes' are in many plans and cheaper within the same provider so many people have 2 phones.  roz