Russia Invades... > Euromaidan.. and beyond

Corruption cannot be eradicated in this country ...

(1/25) > >>

frank1010:
A start must definitely be made and criminal Corruption taking place at the highes levels (where it is about huge money stolen from the state) needs to be battled. Little corruption I would call self defense and a means for survival is a much more difficult task and cannot be executed by prosecuting people but to raise salaries to a suitable and adequate level. One example. My girlfriend works as a teacher. Her monthly salary is about 100 dollars (about 2600 hrywnas). Bearing in mind the ever increasing energy, water and electricity costs it is just enough for a meager survival ... but not enough to even support her mother who lives on an even lower pension and the sister who is without job. Despite that teachers are forced from time to time to sign a paper and to take unpaid holidays for quarantine reasons (budget cuts) which is like robbing them further. If such people have an opportunity to make some extra money (parents pay for better marks of their kids) what do you all think such teacher would do? My girlfriend does not practise this but some of her colleagues do ...

Hence in my opinion such corruption cannot be eradicated by prosecuting poor people. The only way is to bring their salaries to suitable levels. Just my 5 cents ...

Or has this part of the forum been established to outline experience made by forum members about corruption experienced in daily life?

AkMike:
If the money wasn't already being taken off the top, there'd be more at the bottom.

kyivkpic:

--- Quote from: frank1010 on 10:02 31-Jan-2016 ---A start must definitely be made and criminal Corruption taking place at the highes levels (where it is about huge money stolen from the state) needs to be battled. Little corruption I would call self defense and a means for survival is a much more difficult task and cannot be executed by prosecuting people but to raise salaries to a suitable and adequate level. One example. My girlfriend works as a teacher. Her monthly salary is about 100 dollars (about 2600 hrywnas). Bearing in mind the ever increasing energy, water and electricity costs it is just enough for a meager survival ... but not enough to even support her mother who lives on an even lower pension and the sister who is without job. Despite that teachers are forced from time to time to sign a paper and to take unpaid holidays for quarantine reasons (budget cuts) which is like robbing them further. If such people have an opportunity to make some extra money (parents pay for better marks of their kids) what do you all think such teacher would do? My girlfriend does not practise this but some of her colleagues do ...

Hence in my opinion such corruption cannot be eradicated by prosecuting poor people. The only way is to bring their salaries to suitable levels. Just my 5 cents ...

Or has this part of the forum been established to outline experience made by forum members about corruption experienced in daily life?

--- End quote ---

It is discussed on the forum. Corruption is a part of life in Ukraine. It is what the revolution was about to a large degree.

An increase in public servants' salaries is one of the first approaches needed. The reforms have been less than inspiring, though. It's been a slow process. There is still plenty of the old guard who are interested in perpetuating the culture of corruption. There is a lot of international pressure and the civil society in Ukraine is trying to change the government, slowly but surely.

The war hasn't helped either. Russia has been trying its best to screw things up for Ukraine, externally and internally. I hope that reforms will pick up speed soon. As financial networks become more digitized and cash is phased out in Ukraine, it will be a major obstacle to a lot of the high level corruption that drains the country and the low level corruption that destroys institutions like public schools. 

jbenet:
News last night was that Poreshenko fired 86 some judges for corruption... anyone heard anything on this?

AkMike:
There was something a couple of days ago about 25-30 getting canned. But that's a bunch smaller number than you show. 

More is better!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version