Author Topic: Travelling to Europe? Canadians and Americans may require visas soon  (Read 2778 times)

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2474
  • -Receive: 1869

Canadian and U.S. citizens looking to head to Europe could soon be required to apply for visas before travelling, according to a report.

Reuters reports that the European Commission (EC) executive body is considering making visitors from the two North American countries apply for visas.

A migration spokesperson for the EC said in an email ?non-reciprocity situations with Canada and the US? will be looked at on April 12.

?Achieving full visa waiver reciprocity for citizens of all Member States is a priority for the EU,? a spokesperson said. ?Notifications of non-reciprocity situations with Canada and the US were published on 12 April 2014 ? the Commission therefore has to verify the situation as of 12 April 2016.?

While Canadians and Americans travel visa-free throughout the European Union, the same cannot be said for all travelers from EU member countries.

The Canadian government requires entry visas from Romanians, Bulgarians and citizens from the Czech Republic. The United States requires visas from residents of Croatia, Cyprus, and Poland in addition to Bulgaria and Romania.

The proposed regulation would allow the Commission to temporarily suspend the EU?s own visa exemptions on foreign countries if they didn?t lift their visa requirements.

?Our goal remains the full reciprocal visa waiver with our strategic partners, and we are working constructively with them with this in mind,? the EC spokesperson said.

Gar Pardy, a former director of consular affairs bureau at Global Affairs, said the move is part of a long?running issue between the EU and its North American counterparts.

?There is not going to be a visa war,? Pardy told Global News. ?The commission is just trying to back up their policy with some discussion.?

The EU has made past attempts to push Ottawa and Washington to treat travellers from all its member states equally. In December 2013, a law went into effect requiring EU countries to have a common response to visa matters and in 2014 the Commission threatened again to increase scrutiny of US and Canadian travellers.

Pardy said given the millions of Canadians who visit Europe each year he doesn?t see the visa requirement happening.

?If [the Europeans] are going to stop the Canadians and the Americans from going into Europe ? then in effect all they are doing is hurting themselves,? he said. ?This is nothing more than I think a shot across the bow.?

The EU has given Canada an ultimatum: Canada has until Tuesday to ?comply with the EU?s Visa Reciprocity Mechanism,? Citizenship and Immigration spokesperson Jennifer Bourque said in an email.

?Canada?s visa policy is not based on reciprocity. Rather, Canada must be satisfied that countries meet its criteria for a visa exemption,? Bourque wrote. ?Canada remains committed to extending visa-free travel to all Europeans as soon as possible.?

According to Reuters, the debate over visas comes at an awkward time as U.S. President Barack Obama is set to arrive in Europe next week to close the transatlantic trade agreement before Obama leaves office in Jan. 2017.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2625207/traveling-to-europe-canadians-and-americans-may-require-a-visa-report/

In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 210
  • -Receive: 336
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
What an argument .... we have so many visitors to EU thats why we don't  have to comply with a full reciprocal visa waiver .... but there is another point, havent the USA recently announced that EU citizens who in the past have ever to suspicious countries like libya, syria, Iran,  etc need to apply for a visa? That could be quite a few germans for example as pre war syria was a very popular study tours destination combined with Jordan.

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 541
  • -Receive: 812
With the small possibility of mutual visa-free travel ('vft') denials (because if the EU ends vft for all Americans and Canadians the US and Canada will certainly retaliate by ending all EU vft to the North American countries), anyone with transatlantic airline share holdings may want to consider a temporary reallocation to other investments.
"But if history teaches anything, it teaches that simpleminded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly. It means the betrayal of our past, the squandering of our freedom."

Ronald Reagan

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
That would probably hit US airlines at the most who are all in rather bad shape by the way. Almost all american airlines have gone through chapter 11 if I remember well and employees had to accept pension cuts. Moreover there are huge bilateral investments on either side of the atlantic and I am sure that neither the US nor EU will want to hamper these. But on the other side EU has to react if the US requires certain EU member states to apply for Visa and others not ... it would be as if California introduces visa for foreign visitors and other states would not ...

Personally I dont travel to paranoid countries with excessive and lethal  gun use anyway. Hence if the US want to retaliate it would bother me as much as if there is a drop of water missing in the amazon river .

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
Airlines are generally doing well right now.  Ticket prices remain only a little lower than last year, while the cost of fuel has plummeted. 
  I wouldn't go to Turkey right now, but hey.

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_bankruptcies_in_the_United_States

I am also not travelling to Turkey, Russia, America, South AFrica, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Saudi Aarabia, Yemen, Sudan, and many other countries which I have frequently visited in former time due to work.

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
That would probably hit US airlines at the most who are all in rather bad shape by the way. Almost all american airlines have gone through chapter 11 if I remember well and employees had to accept pension cuts. Moreover there are huge bilateral investments on either side of the atlantic and I am sure that neither the US nor EU will want to hamper these. But on the other side EU has to react if the US requires certain EU member states to apply for Visa and others not ... it would be as if California introduces visa for foreign visitors and other states would not ...

Your financial info re:US international legacy airlines is extremely out of date (US major airline bankruptcies most recently occurred in 2006/7, at the leading edge of the Great Recession; my airline, Continental, was not one of them). Furthermore, bankruptcy protection for large but inefficient airlines has allowed evolutionary restructuring of those airlines into much more efficient companies. All three major US international carriers (American, Delta, and United Continental) are presently experiencing record-breaking positive financial results. I won't go into all three of them, but citing some results of one-Delta-mirrors the performances of the other two. Delta's 2015 numbers ($): revenue 40.51B, EBIT 7.63B, pretax margin 17.67%, net profit 4.53B. Compare to Lufthansa's 2015 results (Euros): revenue 32.06B, EBIT 1.82B, pretax margin 5.7%, net profit 1.7B. All numbers are verifiable via internet search.

Tell me, do you still think Delta is in "rather bad shape"?
"But if history teaches anything, it teaches that simpleminded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly. It means the betrayal of our past, the squandering of our freedom."

Ronald Reagan

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_bankruptcies_in_the_United_States

I am also not travelling to Turkey, Russia, America, South AFrica, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Saudi Aarabia, Yemen, Sudan, and many other countries which I have frequently visited in former time due to work.

Don't go to Australia either, since they send their wannabe immigrants to offshore holding camps. That is probably intensely frowned upon by the leftist globalist coterie. By the way, we in the US will try to bear up under the disappointment of your absence from our shores.

Ronald Reagan

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
Airlines worldwide are not in very bad shape right now mainly because of the low fuel cost (which is one of the main factors in their calculations). Secondly airlines have increased their profitability by slashing wages and implemented pension cuts  (http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/01/news/companies/american_bankruptcy_employees/) ... However that (fuel costs) could change rather quickly.

I am not a wannabee immigrant. I have enough money to settle anywhere and live a comfortable life without being a burden to any social system. I have worked hard and long for that. And honestly speaking I dont care if the US of A or the people there are disappointed or care about me visiting or not. I stay where I feel comfortable and I have lived in several different countries and visited practically the whole world due to my work.

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
Airlines worldwide are not in very bad shape right now mainly because of the low fuel cost (which is one of the main factors in their calculations). Secondly airlines have increased their profitability by slashing wages and implemented pension cuts  (http://money.cnn.com/2011/12/01/news/companies/american_bankruptcy_employees/) ... However that (fuel costs) could change rather quickly.

I am not a wannabee immigrant. I have enough money to settle anywhere and live a comfortable life without being a burden to any social system. I have worked hard and long for that. And honestly speaking I dont care if the US of A or the people there are disappointed or care about me visiting or not. I stay where I feel comfortable and I have lived in several different countries and visited practically the whole world due to my work.

Providing a link to a business article about American Airlines that is four years and four months old (before its merger with US Airways, making it the largest airline in the world) hardly supports your fallacious arguments about the state of US major international airlines' current finances and business prospects. You simply reinforce the state of temporal displacement in which you exist, i.e.: you're living in the past!

Ronald Reagan

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
You think then when 2 weaklings merge a sprinter emerges?

Formerly Aeroflot was the largest airline in the world.  And what are they now? Maybe the article is a bit outdated. But US airline industry has traditionally been in bad shape. like many other american industries by the way. Maybe this merger is the biggest airline in the world. Lets see how long. Wasnt PanAm also at some stage the largest airline? If you are so confident in them please feel free to invest your money in that company. I will not ... Good luck with your investments.
« Last Edit: 23:15 09-Apr-2016 by frank1010 »

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
Despite current profitability, airlines are so over regulated, so at the mercy of Unions, and extortionate airport charges, their planes are eventually certain to circle the drain again, rather than rise indefinitely on favorable economic conditions.  American Investor Warren Buffett has said he would never buy an airline.

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
Airlines are regulated for a good reason. They transport  millions of people around the globe and if they would be let doing anything they want for the sake of competition we would certainly see many more planes falling from the skies and many many dead people. Or planes would be shot down by wannabee terrorists ... ah sorry, as per russia these should be called legitimate separatists ... sure, investing in the airline industry is risky business because there is a thin line between success and failure. Part of regulatory fees goes to airtraffic control and the rights to fly over any country. Some charge more and some charge less. For example and airtraffic controller in Germany can earn upto 200 000 euros per year. In spain upto a million ....

But cc3 certainly has good inside knowledge of this business. Good luck to his investments in the airline business.

All I know is that practically all major airlines of this planet have been on the virge of bankruptcy at some moment in time. Even Lufthansa .... and the profit margins are low.

Offline Hairball

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 193
  • I live here....
Airline fuel cost has nothing to do with todays fuel cost. They are probably working on the cost of fuel 10 years ago today. They buy futures so far out to hedge the cost of fuel. One airline even bought their own refinery.

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You