Author Topic: Your experience with corruption?  (Read 3169 times)

Offline jbenet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 944
  • -Receive: 755
  • Death to (your name here)!
Re: Your experience with corruption?
« Reply #15 on: 09:47 22-Aug-2016 »
A better question would be whether you experience corruption now and how does it compare to 5 years ago.

Please don't mix up what happened in the past with how it is today because a lot of clearing up has been done.

It ain't brilliant but its a lot better nowadays.

Father in law works in shipping for his whole life, and knows everything, and I mean EVERYTHING there is to know about international protocols, standards, conventions and laws regarding keeping a ship in US Coast Guard ready order. He's home on one of his breaks, and had to do his tests for recertification. Spent a month memorising everything that he would be tested on, says he nailed every question, but didn't pass. Looking at the results posted on the certifying agency's bulletin board, he noticed that the names that passed all had the Russian abbreviation for "paid" next to them. He didn't pass. Yet they couldn't show him where he got any answers wrong, they just told him "your answers are too detailed to be judged".

He was adamantly not wanting to "grease" any palms, so he went and spoke with an old friend of his who was an exam inspector previously about what the "too detailed answers" issue was. The friend then explained to him that he'll have to pay, no one passes without doing so, no matter how many times they take the exam. His friend then explained that the exam inspection typically costs $400 each, but the inspector only gets about $30 of it, the rest of it "goes up the chain right to Kyiv".

He really was hopeful for the "New Ukraine", but now he is not. He also told me that in the past, a "gift" of $100 would sometimes be helpful to the examiner, but that now it is institutionalised and much more expensive.
« Last Edit: 11:22 23-Aug-2016 by jbenet »

Offline Glyn Thomas.

• All this work and I get called:
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 717
  • -Receive: 2029
    • Kiev Life
« Reply #16 on: 10:33 23-Aug-2016 »
So why not report it?

Theres an anti-corruption Bureau...

Make someone famous.

I know it's difficult - especially if a name has to be tagged to the complaint but its only by reporting this poop that anything changes.
I am the shadow of the waxwing slain.. by the false azure of the windowpane...

Offline jbenet

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 944
  • -Receive: 755
  • Death to (your name here)!
« Reply #17 on: 11:24 23-Aug-2016 »
I said that to him, even said "what about the unqualified who pay to pass" and he said it would be the end of his career... instead, he's thinking of getting US certifications instead.