Author Topic: English language school for non-Russian/Ukr speakers?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline jbb

• Subscriber
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Greetings --
My wife, Cambodian, wants to work on her English in Kyiv.
She does not speak Russian or Ukrainian.
Does anyone know of a school that teaches English, without using Russian/Ukr. as a crutch?
(I went to our neighborhood language school, D'Elite, but they turned out to be De-Dumb and De-Rude)
thanks
Jim

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3110
  • -Receive: 4834
  • What's the future ever done for me?
Re: English language school for non-Russian/Ukr speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 04:34 20-Aug-2016 »
There are many schools but yes they will be using Ukrainian or Russian as the home language.... Ukraine is just not that metro yet.
I know a person who works here:  https://www.facebook.com/progress.com.ua/?pnref=lhc
I am sure there are many more on the forum with their links also.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 210
  • -Receive: 336
« Reply #2 on: 05:20 22-Aug-2016 »
Maybe consider using the rosetta stone learning programs for a start? Same works with images and not using any crutch. In my experience that stuff works rather well ...

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 05:58 22-Aug-2016 »
Maybe consider using the rosetta stone learning programs for a start? Same works with images and not using any crutch. In my experience that stuff works rather well ...

I have the complete Russian Rosetta Stone. It is the biggest piece of poop I have ever wasted my money on.

Try this and see if they have something for you. I have used both Russian and Chinese they work great   http://www.innovativelanguage.com/
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline BobLviv

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 159
  • -Receive: 124
  • Feel free to contact me about anything interesting
« Reply #4 on: 07:52 22-Aug-2016 »
Aren't there regular courses/lessons been provided on internet with the help of e.g. Skype to be able to speak and not only read/write?
How about try Google here ... ;)

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2458
  • -Receive: 1864
« Reply #5 on: 19:54 22-Aug-2016 »
Rosettra Stone indeed is a POS.  ::)
I've heard of much better results from Pimsleur lessons.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 20:27 22-Aug-2016 »

I have the complete Russian Rosetta Stone. It is the biggest piece of poop I have ever wasted my money on.

Try this and see if they have something for you. I have used both Russian and Chinese they work great   http://www.innovativelanguage.com/

Could you explain the reasons for your opinion? I have used Rosetta Stone in the past and I was quite satisfied. Also friends and family members used this and were also satisfied ...

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 05:44 23-Aug-2016 »
The reasons are multiple, the basic premise was ok, but often the lame phrases you learned were totally useless in most situations. There was little in the way of actually teaching your the rules, endings and restructure, no real cultural content and the photos are the same from language to language. It is a cookie cutter system at best. I did it, twice, and got nothing out of it. I could go on and on....

Recent reviews of Rosetta Stone also reflect this. They sunk a lot into advertising and less into content. Almost never any updates either or additions to your course as if all you need is what they give you . Innovative Language lessons on the other hand are updated every week with new lessons, documents audio, video, writing assignments etc. All done by Native speakers along with one who is not.  Miles above Rosetta Stone.

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 19:15 23-Aug-2016 »
Got your point. Nevertheless I still believe Rosetta Stone is good if you start with a new language from scratch ...

Offline KamNamync

• KamNamyncCC
  • Subscriber
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
English language school for non Russian/Ukr speakers
« Reply #9 on: 11:53 06-Aug-2019 »
Many classroom teachers do not know very much about learning disabilities, ADHD, and what to do about it in the classroom.  What can be done to help educate our colleagues about LD and ADHD?  Also, what would regular teachers like to know about LD?

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
Re: English language school for non Russian/Ukr speakers
« Reply #10 on: 14:37 06-Aug-2019 »
Many classroom teachers do not know very much about learning disabilities, ADHD, and what to do about it in the classroom.  What can be done to help educate our colleagues about LD and ADHD?  Also, what would regular teachers like to know about LD?

Teachers here in public schools have training classes available to them for such things. Are you just trolling?

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2458
  • -Receive: 1864
« Reply #11 on: 19:06 06-Aug-2019 »
It's mostly a copy paste..   moscovies just don't learn

Hammertime Countdown in 5     ..... 4   ....3    ....2    ....1..   Bye Bye
« Last Edit: 19:20 06-Aug-2019 by AkMike »
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline shuggah21

• Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 63
  • -Receive: 120
« Reply #12 on: 14:14 07-Aug-2019 »
I have taken immersion Spanish classes where no language is spoken other than Spanish, starting with day 1. Anyone regardless of their native language can learn in an immersion class. This is also how the US military teaches foreign languages at the Monterey Language Instititute. Perhaps you can find an immersion class here in Ukraine, then your wife's language would not matter.

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: 04:05 08-Aug-2019 »
I have taken immersion Spanish classes where no language is spoken other than Spanish, starting with day 1. Anyone regardless of their native language can learn in an immersion class. This is also how the US military teaches foreign languages at the Monterey Language Instititute. Perhaps you can find an immersion class here in Ukraine, then your wife's language would not matter.

Living in Ukraine is an immersion class. For ADHD though?? Well....if you want to be insulting living in Ukraine is also an immersion for that also.

I went to DLI, it is NOT immersion.