Author Topic: Child born in Ukraine to a U.S citizen and Ukrainian citizen.  (Read 4611 times)

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
If you use the US passport it may kick in the 90-180 day stay rule. 
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Tiancai

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 82
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
I'm leaving Ukraine next week with my little guy and we have both US and Ukrainian passports. I am so nervous about being stopped by customs in Ukraine. Should I just show his US passport when leaving? We are flying to Poland and staying the night there first. I know that the visa-free starts June 11 but since he's a child he doesn't technically have a biometric passport but I'm not sure I trust It. It seems like there are so many discrepancies in what to show and what not to show when leaving Ukraine. I have combed the forums and haven't found an exact answer.  I just don't want there to be issues with stamps etc. Or have to pay a fine since technically he's been here for more the 90 days (I don't know if that applies since he was born here and his father is Ukrainian.) Someone help me to not be so nervous about this!

Your kid has a biometric passport just like everyone else, and it's eligible for travel to EU without visa. Even though it has no biometric data in it, cause they don't collect it for kids under 6 or 12 (I forgot which age) it still qualifies cause they use the same blanks, and it has the biometric symbol on the front cover. If you're leaving on or after June 11th, I suggest you only show the Ukrainian passport to the customs (you're gonna have to show it either way, cause the U.S. passport isn't in their system) and then use U.S. passport to enter Poland (less questions if you're both the same nationality).

Offline steveo

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 245
  • -Receive: 417
Even though it has no biometric data in it, cause they don't collect it for kids under 6 or 12 (I forgot which age) it still qualifies cause they use the same blanks, and it has the biometric symbol on the front cover.

Kids under 12 :)