Author Topic: the green leaf that people put on a smoked ham, and bread  (Read 6328 times)

Offline 3000ftup

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 28
Anyone know the name of the green leaf put on a smoked ham sandwich?  Very common in Ukraine.  I seem to think it was called iupka or something like that.  (please correct me) It has a very strong interesting flavour.  Better yet, anyone know what it is called in USA? 

Vera

Is it the leaf you are talking about?

Offline 3000ftup

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Hi Vera, no that is Dill.. the leaf I am trying to describe is kind of broad... even in Russian movies, they show people putting it on top of a slice of ham.  It has a strong flavor to it.

ecocks

Wonder why they love dill so much here?  I had to have several discussions in the family to get them to understand it's a flavor, not a topping.   

:-\

Vera

Ooops....well they put dill in and on every other dish here so I though that might be it. Ok would be interested to see if someone has the answer.....

Offline 3000ftup

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Ed, pretty funny about it being a topping, but hey, a good topping!  The leaf I am trying to remember is around 3cm X 6cm  with strong flavor.  I have had it in Ukraine, and it is very common all markets sell it.   

Offline Yelena

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Ed, pretty funny about it being a topping, but hey, a good topping!  The leaf I am trying to remember is around 3cm X 6cm  with strong flavor.  I have had it in Ukraine, and it is very common all markets sell it.   

Probably, the leaf vegetable you are talking about is lettuce (though it is more commonly used for salads).

Vera

I was thinking of lettuce too but then it has to be something with strong flavor......hmmmm.....Mint maybe? I don't know!!! I am intrigued and would love to find out what that thing is!!! Robert, could you try and describe the flavor a bit or compare to something.
Any of these maybe?

« Last Edit: 21:55 22-Jun-2008 by Vera »

Offline 3000ftup

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
No, not lettuce, or mint either... it is common for a breakfast snack or snack sandwich... a piece of grey bread, slice of smoked ham, and a leaf placed on top... it has been 8 months since I was in Ukraine, and now it is difficult to describe...  except I want some!  Vera, the photo you put up, makes me want to get back to Ukraine, and enjoy the great food!!!  but what a great flavor... somehow Yupka, or ekrop, or something similar comes to mind, I have probably killed the brain cell storing the info by now. All food stores and markets sell it.  didn't think it was going to be such a mystery question, but I appreciate all of your input.

Offline 3000ftup

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Hey Vera, it just may be the leaf on the small photo!!! what is that?

Vera

You mean in the picture with some slices of red fish? That is dill I would say. Ok here is my last attempt then I give up. Can it be this?

Offline 3000ftup

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Vera, I think it is the real small photo that you put up with lettuce... what is that?  probably will be mint... I never would have thought... The last was parsley... I appreciate your help!!!  :)

Vera

That is probably NOT it. It is indeed pretty indigenous plant here I would say. It’s called Schavel' (Щавель). The only thing I know people do with it is a soup so called “green borsch" very delicious by the way ...you put sour cream in it. Yummy......I do not see it being cooked a lot in many homes don't know why....it is very tasty....yummm.
I do not think anyone puts schavel' on ham sandwiches though, so that must not be it :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( and it has kind of like very specific sour taste.

Offline 3000ftup

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Yes Vera, I am pretty sure that is it!  you nailed the description perfectly... and now I remember I think it was used in cooking Green Borsch... absolutely awesome!!!  I don't know why people always like red borsch, if they ever had tried green borsch, ... I have never seen Schavel in USA... one more great reason I need to get to Ukraine ASAP
Thank you very much!!!!
Robert

Offline 3000ftup

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
Hi Vera, I googled schavel, and they described it as a green borsch... however in the recipe they called the leaf (sorrel) it is very rare in USA... but grows in acidic soils in Europe.  but seeds can be found through some herbal gurus.  I will try to get some.  Thank you very much for your help!  It is great stuff!!!  Try a leaf on a slice of smoked ham on grey bread...  it will lite up your taste buds  Yummm   :)
Robert