Author Topic: Iphone purchased in US as gift for Ukrainian friend  (Read 1695 times)

Offline rmullin

• Subscriber
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
I want to purchase an Iphone in the US and bring to a friend in Kiev.  Will she need to do anything except change the SIM card? 

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
Re: Iphone purchased in US as gift for Ukrainian friend
« Reply #1 on: 15:06 11-Mar-2017 »
Make sure the phone is unlocked in the USA FIRST.

Put the phone in your pocket on your way over (which means toss the damn box) put the charger and crap in your hand luggage. Don't freak out about customs, as far as they are concerned it is YOUR phone so don't bother to mention it. Oh maybe you have two phones? Not a big deal, many people here and more than one phone.

All sims here can be used and macro and micro sims can be made at her carrier, usually for anywhere from 0 to 10uah.

Or you can buy an iPhone here and really the price is about 10% higher and they are already unlocked.

Offline Voyager1

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #2 on: 08:24 26-Mar-2017 »
I think I would purchase it here in Ukraine. Prices are about the same.

But then I don't think I'd go with iphone after reading this:
https://www.rt.com/viral/382080-nightskies-cia-infiltrate-iphone/

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 09:34 26-Mar-2017 »
I think I would purchase it here in Ukraine. Prices are about the same.

But then I don't think I'd go with iphone after reading this:
https://www.rt.com/viral/382080-nightskies-cia-infiltrate-iphone/

Don't be such a dumb ass. Seriously. The NSA and CIA doesn't give a rat's ass about you. They can hack all the other phones so what makes this any less secure?

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
« Reply #4 on: 09:50 26-Mar-2017 »
Considering the link is from RT you know it's gotta be fact,,,, Right??  ::) ::) ::)
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 10:17 26-Mar-2017 »
RT=FOX FOX=RT 

Carlusha

« Reply #6 on: 10:57 26-Mar-2017 »
Scaremongering suggests one has fully integrated into Ukrainian society!

I prefer :

Startling leaked documents show the CIA could purchase Apple Macs and iPhones, install spyware onto them, and give them to targets.

The secret files, dumped online today, are the latest documents from WikiLeaks' Vault 7 series of classified CIA hacking tools and manuals. The files, dated 2008 to 2013, describe malware that could be smuggled onto Apple-designed computers and smartphones before they are handed over to specific targets.

Far more believable IMHO, thank you very much.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/23/wikileaks_cia_darkmatter_vault_7/

Offline VGera

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 137
  • Is everything already bad, or still getting worse?
« Reply #7 on: 09:21 26-Dec-2018 »
Hi all! Having read all the materials related to the matter I did not get a clear answer, so the question:
Does anyone have a successfull experience of unlocking a new Iphone purchased in US? Either officially (if there is any way to push US carrier do it if they refuse to unlock amicably) or local crack (with a positive result and stable work over time).

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
« Reply #8 on: 12:39 26-Dec-2018 »
Yes they can be unlocked cheaply in the states. The providers won't because it's not in their interest to not have a captive audience. But there are repair type shopes that can and will unlock them. My wifr had an Allpe phone unlocked for abot 15$,  6-7 years ago.  I'm sure that they can be unlocked here as well.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1030
  • -Receive: 1340
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #9 on: 13:21 26-Dec-2018 »
You need to clarify that you mean a new phone that is not imei blacklisted.  A phone that is imei blacklisted, (serial number registered in a database,)  because it was purchased for a subsidized price per terms of a carrier contract and the contract terms were not fulfilled or ransom not paid for early termination, or stolen,  will not work in the U.S. at least.

That is a different sort of situation from a phone that is a carrier phone, that has software/firmware related to the carrier, but is not under contract and is unlocked or can be.
Generally, it is better to get a phone that is 'Factory Unlocked" to begin with.

Offline VGera

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 14:42 26-Dec-2018 »
I think in the case I am dealing with they are "new contract phones" purchased at a low price. I believe that the only way to get such a phone working here is to agree to pay a termination fee from the carrier if he offers such an option, or am I wrong?

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1030
  • -Receive: 1340
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #11 on: 16:40 26-Dec-2018 »
The phone would be bricked in the U.S. without paying a fee to the carrier, if the carrier has actually a contract in effect, but might be usable if the carrier never made a contract involving those serial numbers and the phones are not stolen.  I am not sure whether such phones would also be useless in Ukraine or Western Europe.

Offline wolfcastle

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #12 on: 10:11 27-Dec-2018 »
You can buy from the Apple Store, an unlocked, carrier free iphone, it should work no problem on the networks here in Ukraine.  Now you would have to pay the full price of the phone, you won't get any of the carrier discounts but you won't be on a contract or limited to one carrier.

Offline VGera

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: 13:30 27-Dec-2018 »
.. Now you would have to ...

Thank you for your suggestion, if I had intended to buy an Iphone, I would have definitely purchased it factory unlocked. But just to make it clear, I did not buy anything and this is not my headache.

By the way, Scott, I just remembered your question regarding the place to take kids out at Christmass time. One suggestion: do you know the ski baze in Holosiyevo forest? Skis, boards, tubes... It is not a place for pro's but still a nice place to spend half of a winter day with kids if the weather allows.

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3755301,30.504314,16.73z

I have no financial relation to this place, just live nearby and sometimes go there with my daughter.