Author Topic: Russian Nationality, and Russia's Future  (Read 1627 times)

Offline sosednik

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 106
  • -Receive: 286
  • Героям слава! Смерть ворогам!
Russian Nationality, and Russia's Future
« on: 07:37 20-May-2017 »
An interesting article by Michael Khodarkovsky, a historian who teaches in Chicago (not to be confused with Mikhail Khodarkovsky, the dissident exile now based in Switzerland):

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/18/opinion/russia-the Kremlin-based midget-national-identity.html

I wasn't aware of Russia's recent bizarre attempts to re-define citizenship and nationality by legislation.

From the article:

A century ago, preparing the ground for the Bolshevik Revolution, Vladimir Lenin famously predicted that the chain of imperialism could be broken at one of its weaker links, Russia. Today, too, behind a seemingly resurgent Russia and its strongman leader lies a weak and fragile Russian state that may prove Lenin prescient again.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1880
  • -Receive: 1612
  • 100% Against jellied eels
Re: Russian Nationality, and Russia's Future
« Reply #1 on: 11:34 20-May-2017 »
"Two months ago the Russian parliament passed a law that would allow anyone who speaks Russian or has any connection to Russia and the former Soviet Union to become a Russian citizen. The goal is to increase Russia's population by millions from among those living in neighboring countries and occupied territories."

The countries the Kremlin-based midget wants to solidify his base with, FSU states, also have birth rate problems.  So, at best, a temporary solution of sorts if it works.

"Slavic" does not necessarily equal "Russian" -- it's a language subset of Indo-European languages.  It's not DNA or culture based; there is some over-lap of course, but not precisely the same. 

The Kremlin wants a nation of compliant and subordinate "Slavs" -- I don't think that's what they get with this.  A stew of Chechens, Serbians, Ukrainians, Dagestanis, Uzbeks, and Czech people branded as "Russian" sounds like chaos to me, at least for the first 50-100 years.  Think back to old New York when ethnic gangs ran wild.

Demographic and political crises are coming to Russia - maybe these flowers won't bloom in our lifetime, but they will at some point. 

See very crude map of the ethno-genesis of Indo-European people that morphed into various subsets, of course don't forget to factor in certain things like the Mongol invasions, and subsequent mixing.
« Last Edit: 11:47 20-May-2017 by Reggie »
🇺🇸   Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.  🇺🇸

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
« Reply #2 on: 12:38 20-May-2017 »
I say let's go to China and live under the new CCP who likes to make money and build poop they don't need. Komrade Mao!

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 12:56 20-May-2017 »
I say let's go to China and live under the new CCP who likes to make money and build poop they don't need. Komrade Mao!

Fraucha, have you noticed that the Chinese crap they sell in Ukraine is inferior to the Chinese crap they sell in the U.S.?    I bought a soldering iron for some home repair -- didn't even get hot enough.   Hair dryer for my wife.  Same  Coffee maker.  Ditto. 

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 14:24 20-May-2017 »
Yep because Ukrainian shopkeepers order cheap poop. Because 1) they are tight fisted  2) they build in a customer base by having you go back often. and most importantly 3) The Chinese know the Ukrainians will buy all kinds of cheap poop...including misspelled Engrish T-Shirts that would be rejected anywhere else.

A cheap hair dryer breaks down and you buy another cheap one...Or you can pay for a good one and keep it for years.

"Ho Wa! Long Dong,You make worng words of English, now we no can sell to Eagle for $10."
"Worry is nothing!! Wing Wong, we sell Ukraine for same price they do knot know right from wong."

(yes I am not being PC)

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 00:23 21-May-2017 »
(yes I am not being PC)

Quality humor is almost never PC - it's the intent behind the joke.  And you don't have any bad intent.  Vintage Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle.  All funny stuff.  Our names sound funny in other languages too - I'm cool with that.  The Japanese call me "Leggie". 

Carlusha

« Reply #6 on: 05:39 21-May-2017 »

The Japanese call me "Leggie".

If a Jap says, "Leggie's late", is he referring to the making of a new law or that Reggie is late arriving?

Sorry, I'll get my coat.  ::)

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 07:08 21-May-2017 »
One more off topic for me.....Speaking of Chinese Quality

Nearly ALL of Apple's Products are made in China..Including the much sought after status symbol the iPhone. My ex-wife set up contracts for Apple and China back in the day. I went with her as one of Apple's Corporate Engineers (Environmental Test/Reliability and Redesign) to stress quality and reliability. We never looked back until those poor guys at FoxConn--AND just so you know Apple is not the only big name company they manufacture for, just the largest. I swear by my Apple reliability standards as does Apple today.

So I have no issue with Chinese quality when I buy products in the USA...in Ukraine it reminds me of the early days when we were shipping scrap metal to Japan to make products for the USA--when made in Japan meant cheap crap, today Made in Japan is not a bad thing. (even when they outsource to China......) Buying something Chinese here...I know I am getting substandard rejects or must mass produced crap to make profit.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 07:53 21-May-2017 »
So I have no issue with Chinese quality when I buy products in the USA...in Ukraine it reminds me of the early days when we were shipping scrap metal to Japan to make products for the USA

Honestly, I almost wrote exactly the same thing, but I thought people might be too young to remember when "made in Japan" meant crap.  Yeah, the Chinese stuff in the U.S. works fine for the most part.    In Ukraine, it's like 50/50 whether it will even work when you get it home.

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1030
  • -Receive: 1340
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #9 on: 10:48 21-May-2017 »
When you order from a Chinese factory, for the most part, quality specs are part of the order.  When crap arrives the cheapest price was purchased, perhaps without complex quality specs in the order, or low specs.  I bought about fifty sets of earbuds for $1 and I was disappointed that one in three broke almost immediately.  But, pay a couple dollars more, be more sophisticated as a buyer and they are pretty good.