Author Topic: Interesting places to go in Kiev  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Kate Dobromishev

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Interesting places to go in Kiev
« on: 11:33 30-May-2017 »
This article is about places in Kiev that are of interest both for tourists and for expats in Kiev. Locals may as well find it useful.

Tourists who visit beautiful Kiev for the first time are highly recommended to use the services of local guides: it will save your time, protect from hassle and you will really feel the spirit of the city with all its secret places and colors. And we offer a 10% discount for any tour for those who add the word "expatua" in comment field when booking
-

And now we gonna tell about some interesting places that are worthy your attention. This includes a secret courtyard, strange cocktails, gourmet restaurant and many more.
So, let's start with a very unusual place; it's absolutely not a tourist-type site, and you definitely will not see it in any tour (until somebody reads this article).

:)  In Kiev on Raduzhna Street, retiree Vladimir Chaika turned three staircases of 9-storey multi-compartment building he lives in into a real museum. He decorated the walls along the staircase with a wonderful stucco molding with "gilding" and portraits of women from the Middle Ages, and the other are now turned into panel picture with palm trees, swans and fountains. Now three floors of the building look more like Versailles or the Hermitage than like a regular modern house.

:)  Perhaps many of you have already heard that, but for those who did not yet - one of Kiev courtyards in Reitarska Street has for more than 26 years become a home to old ravens that are living in a huge cage. People living close to this country yard as well as its numerous guests take care of the birds and tell legends about where these birds came from. So, one of the versions is that the birds met here quite by accident. It was Karlusha who has first settled into the courtyard. Then raven Cyril joined, and later a love triangle appeared: Karlusha became jealous of Cyril to Corbin (his owner brought him there), so Corbin was taken to a separate sector in a common cage. The ravens are of the same age as Ukrainian independence; they adore sausages, drink beer and beat cats.

:)  The following information is for sweet teeth (and for those who love making pics in cafes). I was pleasantly surprised by the creative approach to desserts in Altruist cafe on Antonovich Street.  The guys have managed to turn simple sweet into unusual dessert of cotton candy, waffle, chocolate and milkshake. Probably that is a mini-holiday for girls. However, guys will also find creative and delicious meals in the menu.

:P  Where to drink?
Great question, but where can you drink in a style? Where can you find the most unusual cocktails in the city? I definitely know - in TRUE BURGER BAR on Bogdan Khmelnitsky Street. Be sure to try the cocktails:
-   Bee To Be (based on premium vodka Ciroc served in beeswax-glass on a stand  that was printed on 3D-printer)

-   Elisir di Lunga Vita (combines sweet, bitter and sour parts with a note of spiciness. It is based on gin Tanqueray NoTen)

-   Cheddarhead Charlie (not only a drink, it is eatable. It's served in a waffle cone with a waterproof layer of heated cheddar. Inside the cocktail is based on premium vodka Ciroc)

:)  And one more place, this time its luxury - fine dining Alaska restaurant in Sichovyh Striltsiv Street. It has just opened, but the interior, cuisine and ambitions of this place are really amazing. Just check the photos.
We wish you pleasant walks, pleasant appetite and pleasant Kiev.

If you liked the article, comment on the type of places you would like to learn more in Kiev: secret yards, bars, historical sights, unusual food, other?

« Last Edit: 18:05 30-May-2017 by Kate Dobromishev »

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1880
  • -Receive: 1612
  • 100% Against jellied eels
Re: Interesting places to go in Kiev
« Reply #1 on: 13:54 30-May-2017 »
Tourists who visit beautiful Kiev for the first time are highly recommended to use the services of local guides: it will save your time, protect from hassle and you will really feel the spirit of the city with all its secret places and colors.

Sorry.  But this just reads like some nonsense advertisement.   I can only speak for myself, but I don't like it when somebody tries to sell me crap disguised as an article. 

Foreigners in Ukraine are not stupid.  I only write for myself, but a lot of them don't like to be peddled a perfume that they didn't ask for.   

How are "local guides" going to "protect" people from hassle?   It just reads like absurd bullpoop.

Try coming at people in an honest and straightforward manner.   

And none of your photos compel me to sign up for a tour.  That's just stuff you like.   It just looks like rubbish clipped out of a fashion magazine.  Know your audience.

I know you will reject what I have to say because people generally are very egocentric in Ukrainel they only hear the sound of their own voices and can't imagine looking at issues from the perspective of other people. 

I've got news for you:  If you want to sell people things, you better learn honesty and looking at the world with eyes other than your own.

So did you just come here to spray your advertisements for cheap crap? 

What do you want to charge foreigners in Ukraine?  (Let me guess, you don't want to discuss your prices here.)

Expats:  Pay attention.  They want you to buy a T shirt on their website for 15 Euros that you can buy in Novus for $2.  Avoid establishments that are pre-geared to fleece you. 
« Last Edit: 16:33 30-May-2017 by Reggie »
🇺🇸   Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.  🇺🇸

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1030
  • -Receive: 1340
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #2 on: 17:08 30-May-2017 »
I liked the V. Chaika stairwell story.  I would suggest you might expand-extend the better ones into full articles, edit grammar slightly,  and submit them to online publications, globally and get paid.  I read material like that all the time on Gizmodo and elsewhere.  And no, stories about these places don't really seem to have been published yet in English.  I can't say, though, that I have been actively googling them since that artist nailed the sculpture of Gogol's nose to the door on Andrivsky's Spoosk.

Offline Hairball

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 193
  • I live here....
« Reply #3 on: 17:20 30-May-2017 »
As an expat, it is very hard to get excited about tours. I took a guided tour once. I found it to be a huge disappointment as the guide abandoned me half way through the tour and told me I could browse around by myself. The best guide I found is my family. My wife teaches me about Ukraine, and my step-daughter shows me the "pop culture".....family is the best :)

Carlusha

« Reply #4 on: 20:55 30-May-2017 »

The best guide I found is my family. My wife teaches me about Ukraine, and my step-daughter shows me the "pop culture".....family is the best :)

Nice one! 100% on the nail!

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
« Reply #5 on: 21:02 30-May-2017 »
Now if you put together a solid tour with bus, hotels and food to go around looking at WW2 battle sites in Ukraine....you might have something there to hawk.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 00:27 31-May-2017 »
Now if you put together a solid tour with bus, hotels and food to go around looking at WW2 battle sites in Ukraine....you might have something there to hawk.

What are you trying to say?  That looking at crows in a cage in someone's backyard and a waffle cone filled with cheese slices isn't worth 50-100 Euros?  :D  (Sorry, my sense of humor or lack thereof has come alive at this hour.)

In all seriousness, people should beware.  Everyone knows about marriage agency scams, right?  OK.   Now on dating sites, people should be careful because they have prop-women that will insist on scheduling your "date" and take you to the restaurants they are paid to promote.  Generally, it's a better idea to keep sight-seeing activities and restaurants visits random instead of going to places that 'cater to foreigners' or are trying really hard to get you in the door. 

Stay safe people.

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 00:57 31-May-2017 »
I usually look for a guided tour when I visit a new city.  They can be worthwhile.  If you live in the city, then of course you have time to find places, get around and explore on your own without wasting kopeks.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 01:19 31-May-2017 »
I usually look for a guided tour when I visit a new city. 

Stay safe David.  This isn't Niagra Falls.   And it's not a group tour by a reputable travel agent.

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: 01:40 31-May-2017 »
This isn't the 90's Russian Techno Pop, gangster era of Kiev, either.  Nobody is getting robbed in a literal sense on a day tour of Kyiv. 

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 02:04 31-May-2017 »
This isn't the 90's Russian Techno Pop, gangster era of Kiev, either.  Nobody is getting robbed in a literal sense on a day tour of Kyiv.

Just be safe.  I'm not your Dad, so if you want to go skydiving or wrestle crocodiles, that's your private business.

Just remember you don't have to be robbed at gun point by the mafia to return home with a lighter wallet.

http://www.visitkievukraine.com/essential/dangers/