Introductions... > Please read this first!!!

Expat T Shirt

(1/7) > >>

Glyn Thomas.:
Seeing as how many of us are not expats but actually live, breathe, work, marry, procreate in Ukraine... I had a word with those nice chaps at Shot Dead in the Head and they have made us a nice T shirt... even mugs....

https://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/i-m-not-an-expat-t-shirt.html

Reggie:

I like the idea; I am happy to buy one and would wear it outside of Ukraine. 

But inside Ukraine; it can be like putting a target on your shirt.  I would also like one written in Ukrainian.

kyivkpic:

--- Quote from: Reggie on 11:39 09-Jun-2017 ---

I like the idea; I am happy to buy one and would wear it outside of Ukraine. 

But inside Ukraine; it can be like putting a target on your shirt.  I would also like one written in Ukrainian.

--- End quote ---

Stating that you are a foreigner in the Ukrainian language would be putting an even larger target on your shirt.

I work in a suit and tie business business park and today (casual Friday) I saw some guy from another company wearing a shirt that says, "Frak ISIS".

I guess his boss can't read English.

Reggie:
I think you missed it, but I want that particular shirt (in whatever language) for only wearing outside of Ukraine.  Nothing like starting up a conversation with a Ukrainian who is living abroad while wearing a T-Shirt written in Ukrainian.  Imagine walking down the street or jogging in NY or London wearing a Ukrainian T-shirt; someone might stop you and say, 'Hi, I'm Ukrainian, I work here in NY; so cool to see a Ukrainian T-shirt here.'   It's a conversation piece, which is what Slogan-T-shirts are.

But in any language, I'm not going to wear the word 'Expat' on a shirt here.  There are already pickpockets, corrupt officials, and Russian sympathizers crawling around, so no reason to help self-identify any more than necessary in a public setting.  (Makes no difference that it says, "I'm not an Expat" because the word is what they see first.)

Also, some of the people here equate Expat with Sexpat; which is our own fault partly; To be clear: I'm not saying that Pedophilia-Tourism shouldn't have a mark of shame -- it should absolutely -- but Sexpat is the wrong word in my opinion.  Ukrainians travel also and have sex; nobody gets bent out of shape about it when consenting adults are involved.  I don't get bent out of shape if they come to NY and sleep with whomever (adult) they want; and Ukrainians certainly have no issues jumping into bed with each other here.  To some Ukrainian ears and eyes, there is little difference between the word 'Expat' and 'Sexpat.'  Personally, I wish we would have just stuck with some term like 'Traveling Pedophiles'.  To be honest, I always feel a bit resentful when Ukrainians ask me 'Why are you living in or staying so long in Ukraine?' -- especially when they are already having all manner of sex with each other; and nobody assumes the worst if they are screwing someone while traveling or living abroad.  I don't see why we do this liberal self-loathing to ourselves, but we have.  Really, just my 2 cents.  If others have a different view, that's cool too.  Maybe better left for another thread, on a different day.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm 100% behind the idea of this site having T-shirt and happy to support the idea.  I just don't like that particular message on my T-shirt for wearing in Ukraine.   But that's just me.

Glyn Thomas.:
All good stuff but as someone who regularly wears a T Shirt saying "My children are Foreign" I am perhaps less worried by WTF anyone thinks.

But - by all means - please, all open your own T Shirt shops... and forums come to think of it.... And thats not a dig at anyone here.. more the guy who commented elsewhere that is was too expensive. I've sent him a potato and some paint.

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version