Author Topic: Expat T Shirt  (Read 3361 times)

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3120
  • -Receive: 4849
  • What's the future ever done for me?
Re: Expat T Shirt
« Reply #15 on: 10:39 10-Jun-2017 »
I don't think expat has a negative connotation, or maybe it does depending on the city you live in.  Some of you have expressed concern wearing that word on your chest as if you are a target. If that is the case, then, respectfully, you live in the wrong place/city/town.  Crap in my town I am pretty damn sure even the best English speakers don't even know what that word means. My guess it is the same in most of Ukraine.

Some have expressed concern that it sounds too much like sexpat...I guess it would if you come from a city of whores who prey on the idiot guys who come to prey on the girls.

Or maybe, some of you are afraid to wear a shirt that is in proper English, as that will for sure paint a target on you. I would suggest then at least the t-shirt have a graphic of a target printed on the back just for poops and giggles. So you are an expat who lives in fear? Then, why do you stay here???

I would not have a problem wearing this shirt, as I am sure Reggie is ready to order his special green shirt!! :-D

I am an expat. I live here.
I hate your Fraking Borscht,
     but I like your salo.
   Deal with it and STFU.
         p.s. Frak the Kremlin-based midget

Yeah I would wear that!!

« Last Edit: 10:58 10-Jun-2017 by Fraucha »
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1880
  • -Receive: 1609
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #16 on: 12:35 10-Jun-2017 »

Fraucha, I like you.  And you make some good points.  And some blah blah blah too.  Okay, here it is.

With this point below, I think you hit the nail on the head.  It does probably depend what city you are in.  I'm not surprised that in smaller towns or villages they don't know the word 'expat' or 'sexpat.'  That makes sense.

Some have expressed concern that it sounds too much like sexpat...I guess it would if you come from a city of whores who prey on the idiot guys who come to prey on the girls.

However, I'm sure in bigger cities like Odessa, where dating-tours of drunken men are sitting around with whores on their laps, people will know that word.  I don't know much about Odessa, but since that is a common and established business, and a part of their local economy, I'm sure some people care about the 'expats' and some people don't.  A bit like Amsterdam.   And then you have all the other cities in-between.

So you are an expat who lives in fear?

Three points: 

1.  I write under my real name here; I have my real email address posted on my page here (not open to a select few, but to the general public); and a search will show my picture is up here too.  It would be easy for me to say to others "so you are an expat that lives in fear" -- but I don't, because people protect their privacy online, because let's face it, there are creepy people that come here from time.  I could play the role of Captain America too, and imply others are pussies for not putting up their real information, but I don't because it's wrong.

2.  The problem with the word 'Expat', in some cities and contexts, is that for some Ukrainians it basically means "Traveling-Foreign-Pedophile."  That's the subjective connotation (what the word invokes for some Ukrainians in addition to its literal or primary meaning).  I wouldn't wear a T-shirt in New York that says "I'm not a pedophile."  It's not really about "fear," but taste.

3.  When traveling; sometimes it's prudent to try to identify as little as possible as a foreigner.  For some it's just a matter of being clever to avoid hassles that go along with it.     

why do you stay here???

Why should staying in Ukraine be dependent on being willing to wear this particular T-shirt?  Come on; isn't that going a bit overboard?  That's just a dumb comment on so many levels.   People could say the same to you: "Why do you stay here when you don't write under your real name?" But nobody does, because it's silly.
🇺🇸   Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.  🇺🇸

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1318
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #17 on: 13:59 10-Jun-2017 »
Lot's of Ukrainians and now Americans too, wear Tees that have nonsense English words on them.  This is now a bonafide fashion trend that originated in countries like Haiti and the Philippines as a result of American fashion companies donating all defective shirts with nonsense printed on them to be distributed by aid orgs, in the Third World.   
So, English words on a shirt, in of themselves should not make you a target.  It might have been less conspicuous if it also had been a cammo shirt...

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: 15:11 10-Jun-2017 »

why do you stay here???

Why should staying in Ukraine be dependent on being willing to wear this particular T-shirt?  Come on; isn't that going a bit overboard?  That's just a dumb comment on so many levels.   People could say the same to you: "Why do you stay here when you don't write under your real name?" But nobody does, because it's silly.

Well I get what you are saying but the 'Why do you stay here?' is a question for someone who lives in fear....I feel if you are so much afraid to wear that shirt then really, why would you stay here? Why would you by choice stay in a place that you are afraid to say or be who you are?   I most likely should have rewrote that sentence. Also, I was being a dick, so....yeah, that may be it too!
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
« Reply #19 on: 15:47 10-Jun-2017 »
All good stuff but as someone who regularly wears a T Shirt saying "My children are Foreign" I am perhaps less worried by WTF anyone thinks.

But - by all means - please, all open your own T Shirt shops... and forums come to think of it.... And thats not a dig at anyone here.. more the guy who commented elsewhere that is was too expensive. I've sent him a potato and some paint.

8)

LOL
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1880
  • -Receive: 1609
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #20 on: 17:33 10-Jun-2017 »
I most likely should have rewrote that sentence. Also, I was being a dick, so....yeah, that may be it too!

Nah, don't worry about it.  No big deal. Winter is the time for everyone to get grumpy, now is the good weather season.  Just home from supermarket, I'll open up a cold one in your honor.   Peace and Love.

Why would you by choice stay in a place that you are afraid to say or be who you are?   

Come on Fraucha.  Nobody accuses me of not being myself.  Usually I get requests like, "Hey can you be more like . . . ."   :D :D  By having an opinion about the T-shirt, I am being myself.  It's the problem with lawyers; for each lawyer you have to factor in 6 different opinions.  :D :D

We are wild.  Poor Ace.  One image of a T-shirt and we give him a treatise on outerwear.  Sincere apologies. 
« Last Edit: 22:45 10-Jun-2017 by Reggie »
🇺🇸   Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.  🇺🇸

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: 05:41 11-Jun-2017 »
I most likely should have rewrote that sentence. Also, I was being a dick, so....yeah, that may be it too!

Nah, don't worry about it.  No big deal. Winter is the time for everyone to get grumpy, now is the good weather season.  Just home from supermarket, I'll open up a cold one in your honor.   Peace and Love.

Why would you by choice stay in a place that you are afraid to say or be who you are?   

Come on Fraucha.  Nobody accuses me of not being myself.  Usually I get requests like, "Hey can you be more like . . . ."   :D :D  By having an opinion about the T-shirt, I am being myself.  It's the problem with lawyers; for each lawyer you have to factor in 6 different opinions.  :D :D

We are wild.  Poor Ace.  One image of a T-shirt and we give him a treatise on outerwear.  Sincere apologies.

We haven't touched on Men's Lingerie yet, and I hope NOT to. :D :D :D :D

Offline Kord

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 501
  • -Receive: 341
« Reply #22 on: 09:43 11-Jun-2017 »
Oh Fraucha, methinks thou protest too much.

Offline Kord

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: 12:21 11-Jun-2017 »
I don't think expat has a negative connotation, or maybe it does depending on the city you live in.  Some of you have expressed concern wearing that word on your chest as if you are a target. If that is the case, then, respectfully, you live in the wrong place/city/town.  Crap in my town I am pretty damn sure even the best English speakers don't even know what that word means. My guess it is the same in most of Ukraine.

Or maybe, some of you are afraid to wear a shirt that is in proper English, as that will for sure paint a target on you. I would suggest then at least the t-shirt have a graphic of a target printed on the back just for poops and giggles. So you are an expat who lives in fear? Then, why do you stay here???

I would not have a problem wearing this shirt, as I am sure Reggie is ready to order his special green shirt!! :-D

I am an expat. I live here.
I hate your Fraking Borscht,
     but I like your salo.
   Deal with it and STFU.
         p.s. Frak the Kremlin-based midget

Yeah I would wear that!!

Funny, reminds of my idea to go ahead and wear a shirt with a target(s) printed on it with "Place label here" to help the slow ones keep up.

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 108
  • -Receive: 289
« Reply #24 on: 15:37 11-Jun-2017 »
WHAT IS AN EXPAT?
It's an immigrant, but a bit more white, a bit more wealthy and with a bit more options to go back "home"

Offline Kord

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: 17:44 11-Jun-2017 »
WHAT IS AN EXPAT?
It's an immigrant, but a bit more white, a bit more wealthy and with a bit more options to go back "home"
That is a stereotype and not at all accurate. Caucasians (a person from the Caucasus.
"the Caucasians of Southern Russia") are not white skinned (more cappuccino skin , nor are the many African people who settled here. Not sure about their financial status but I don't think many wealthy expats are standing in schwarma stands day in and day out or selling sneakers in the local bazaar. Just because there is an option to go home does not necessarily mean it should be considered. Out of the drying pan and in to the fire sometimes.

I'm from US and white as Wonder Bread. I walk by the rows of sweet cars and think "Crap I'm so poor I can't even afford a car."  :(  :D

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 541
  • -Receive: 812
« Reply #26 on: 20:32 11-Jun-2017 »
I think of my status here in UA as not so much an 'expat' but as a 'refugee'... from USA political correctness.

8)

"But if history teaches anything, it teaches that simpleminded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly. It means the betrayal of our past, the squandering of our freedom."

Ronald Reagan

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 108
  • -Receive: 289
« Reply #27 on: 06:24 12-Jun-2017 »
WHAT IS AN EXPAT?
That is a stereotype and not at all accurate. Caucasians (a person from the Caucasus.
"the Caucasians of Southern Russia") are not white skinned (more cappuccino skin , nor are the many African people who settled here. Not sure about their financial status but I don't think many wealthy expats are standing in schwarma stands day in and day out or selling sneakers in the local bazaar. Just because there is an option to go home does not necessarily mean it should be considered. Out of the drying pan and in to the fire sometimes.
I think that's my point exactly... Would you ever call these "Southern Russia caucasians" Expat ? Or immigrant ? (if they are poor & can't even go back home)

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4047
  • -Receive: 1744
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #28 on: 07:07 12-Jun-2017 »
I think of my status here in UA as not so much an 'expat' but as a 'refugee'... from USA political correctness.

8)

I'd prefer to be there to irritate the PC police.  Of course triggering liberals gets a little boring after awhile as they're just so predictable.   :D
Recent science has shown that saliva causes cancer, but only swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: 09:47 12-Jun-2017 »

8)

I'd prefer to be there to irritate the PC police.  Of course triggering liberals gets a little boring after awhile as they're just so predictable.   :D

Liberals are the biggest frigging sorest losers I have ever seen anywhere. I am ashamed that I am an American just for their Fraked-up antics after they LOST because they are Fraking losers boo-Frakin-hoo!  Even more ashamed than having Obama in office....and that was pretty bad as I LEFT THE COUNTRY.

So ...
Salo, Pol Pot, Hammered Dulcimer