Author Topic: Expat T Shirt  (Read 3397 times)

Offline Glyn Thomas.

• All this work and I get called:
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 717
  • -Receive: 2028
    • Kiev Life
Expat T Shirt
« on: 11:27 09-Jun-2017 »
Seeing as how many of us are not expats but actually live, breathe, work, marry, procreate in Ukraine... I had a word with those nice chaps at Shot Dead in the Head and they have made us a nice T shirt... even mugs....

https://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/i-m-not-an-expat-t-shirt.html

I am the shadow of the waxwing slain.. by the false azure of the windowpane...

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1880
  • -Receive: 1609
  • 100% Against jellied eels
Re: Expat T Shirt
« Reply #1 on: 11:39 09-Jun-2017 »

I like the idea; I am happy to buy one and would wear it outside of Ukraine. 

But inside Ukraine; it can be like putting a target on your shirt.  I would also like one written in Ukrainian.
🇺🇸   Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.  🇺🇸

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
« Reply #2 on: 14:13 09-Jun-2017 »

I like the idea; I am happy to buy one and would wear it outside of Ukraine. 

But inside Ukraine; it can be like putting a target on your shirt.  I would also like one written in Ukrainian.

Stating that you are a foreigner in the Ukrainian language would be putting an even larger target on your shirt.

I work in a suit and tie business business park and today (casual Friday) I saw some guy from another company wearing a shirt that says, "Frak ISIS".

I guess his boss can't read English.
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 14:29 09-Jun-2017 »
I think you missed it, but I want that particular shirt (in whatever language) for only wearing outside of Ukraine.  Nothing like starting up a conversation with a Ukrainian who is living abroad while wearing a T-Shirt written in Ukrainian.  Imagine walking down the street or jogging in NY or London wearing a Ukrainian T-shirt; someone might stop you and say, 'Hi, I'm Ukrainian, I work here in NY; so cool to see a Ukrainian T-shirt here.'   It's a conversation piece, which is what Slogan-T-shirts are.

But in any language, I'm not going to wear the word 'Expat' on a shirt here.  There are already pickpockets, corrupt officials, and Russian sympathizers crawling around, so no reason to help self-identify any more than necessary in a public setting.  (Makes no difference that it says, "I'm not an Expat" because the word is what they see first.)

Also, some of the people here equate Expat with Sexpat; which is our own fault partly; To be clear: I'm not saying that Pedophilia-Tourism shouldn't have a mark of shame -- it should absolutely -- but Sexpat is the wrong word in my opinion.  Ukrainians travel also and have sex; nobody gets bent out of shape about it when consenting adults are involved.  I don't get bent out of shape if they come to NY and sleep with whomever (adult) they want; and Ukrainians certainly have no issues jumping into bed with each other here.  To some Ukrainian ears and eyes, there is little difference between the word 'Expat' and 'Sexpat.'  Personally, I wish we would have just stuck with some term like 'Traveling Pedophiles'.  To be honest, I always feel a bit resentful when Ukrainians ask me 'Why are you living in or staying so long in Ukraine?' -- especially when they are already having all manner of sex with each other; and nobody assumes the worst if they are screwing someone while traveling or living abroad.  I don't see why we do this liberal self-loathing to ourselves, but we have.  Really, just my 2 cents.  If others have a different view, that's cool too.  Maybe better left for another thread, on a different day.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm 100% behind the idea of this site having T-shirt and happy to support the idea.  I just don't like that particular message on my T-shirt for wearing in Ukraine.   But that's just me.
« Last Edit: 15:19 09-Jun-2017 by Reggie »

Offline Glyn Thomas.

• All this work and I get called:
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 717
  • -Receive: 2028
    • Kiev Life
« Reply #4 on: 15:22 09-Jun-2017 »
All good stuff but as someone who regularly wears a T Shirt saying "My children are Foreign" I am perhaps less worried by WTF anyone thinks.

But - by all means - please, all open your own T Shirt shops... and forums come to think of it.... And thats not a dig at anyone here.. more the guy who commented elsewhere that is was too expensive. I've sent him a potato and some paint.

8)
I am the shadow of the waxwing slain.. by the false azure of the windowpane...

Carlusha

« Reply #5 on: 15:27 09-Jun-2017 »

But - by all means - please, all open your own T Shirt shops... and forums come to think of it.... And thats not a dig at anyone here.. more the guy who commented elsewhere that is was too expensive. I've sent him a potato and some paint.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 15:39 09-Jun-2017 »
All good stuff but as someone who regularly wears a T Shirt saying "My children are Foreign"

A father that that respects his kids; that's great.  I respect that. 

I am perhaps less worried by WTF anyone thinks.

Now this is B.S. There are plenty of T-shirts you wouldn't wear in public. 

And you're doing a great job on this site.
Don't be offended.  I support your effort to sell merchandise.  But for the reasons I stated, I don't like the word 'Expat' on my shirt here in Ukraine, but that's just me.  I'm happy to buy one and wear it in America.

Look, I'd wear this hat in NY; but I wouldn't wear it jogging through Afghanistan, if that makes sense.

« Last Edit: 15:45 09-Jun-2017 by Reggie »

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 16:01 09-Jun-2017 »

Look at you having a ha ha at my expense.   :D :D  Wait till Glyn expands the T-shirt line.

Just for the record I'm not going to wear that one around Ukraine either. 

« Last Edit: 21:52 09-Jan-2019 by UKUA »

Carlusha

« Reply #8 on: 16:16 09-Jun-2017 »

Look at you having a ha ha at my expense.   :D :D  Wait till Glyn expands the T-shirt line.

Just for the record I'm not going to wear that one around Ukraine either.

You are mistaken. I was laughing at Ace's

And thats not a dig at anyone here.. more the guy who commented elsewhere that is was too expensive. I've sent him a potato and some paint.

which I find really funny ..... potato and paint ..... childhood memories. OK?

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: 16:21 09-Jun-2017 »

I'm just kidding.   :D :D  First we'll have David wear the "Old Perdun" shirts around town.  Someone has to clear the minefields.  And if all goes well, then maybe I'll wear one to Hawaii.   :D :D

Just so everyone feels better (see photo below).
« Last Edit: 16:30 09-Jun-2017 by Reggie »

Carlusha

« Reply #10 on: 16:33 09-Jun-2017 »
And there was me reminiscing about the potatoes and paint I used in the late 1940s under the guidance of my beloved Mother.  :( :(

8) Peace  8)

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1318
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #11 on: 02:01 10-Jun-2017 »

I'm just kidding.   :D :D  First we'll have David wear the "Old Perdun" shirts around town.  Someone has to clear the minefields.  And if all goes well, then maybe I'll wear one to Hawaii.   :D :D

Just so everyone feels better (see photo below).

Oddly, people on the street often do ask me for directions, particularly in Odessa, but one person did in Kyiv on the visit I just completed.   Sometimes I can even help...   The problem is that scammers are real experts on identifying foreign clothing and I can't bring myself to wear all black or adopt Ukrainian styles completely.   

Since I am brought into it:
I am not sure I understand what expat is intended to mean here?  By definition, an expat is someone who lives either temporarily or permanently in a foreign country.  Some people tend to use the word to identify guest workers of various stripes.   If you live away from your nation of birth and get citizenship abroad, perhaps that means you are no longer an expat, although that might still be a gray area and some would still say you are an expat at least under some circumstances.  I get that there is some humor involved.  Maybe it's too subtle for me.  It wouldn't be the first time, for sure.
« Last Edit: 02:20 10-Jun-2017 by David Rochlin »

Carlusha

« Reply #12 on: 08:27 10-Jun-2017 »
WHAT IS AN EXPAT?

Let's compromise. It's far healthier.

We know for a fact that many members are NOT full time residents for one reason or another. In fact, many have not even set foot in Ukraine. As we all know, the definition of an expatriate refers to someone living outside their native country.

An expat for argument's sake shall henceforth refer to any member of the Expatua forum.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: 09:19 10-Jun-2017 »

Expat has a normal meaning elsewhere -- for example Ernest Hemingway was an 'expat.'

Problem is here it sounds too much like 'Sexpat' and that's how some Ukrainians hear and read it.  They imagine drunk men from foreign lands on dating tours with hookers on their laps.

We should have a thread to talk about that -- 'sexpat' was always a poor choice, but became common (not because of this site, but it did). 

Carlusha

« Reply #14 on: 09:51 10-Jun-2017 »

Problem is here it sounds too much like 'Sexpat' and that's how some Ukrainians hear and read it.  They imagine drunk men from foreign lands on dating tours with hookers on their laps.

We should have a thread to talk about that -- 'sexpat' was always a poor choice, but became common (not because of this site, but it did).

Depends upon one's thoughts at any given time.

Granted, the drunk men from foreign lands do exist but are easily identified and avoided, especially here in Odessa.

We do have a topic in which one may talk about "sex" and "sexpats" if one has anything of interest to post or share.

Expat Ukraine Forum ? Expatriate Cafe ? Posting for postings sake

Although moderated, the topic allows for almost anything as long as it doesn't cause offence. If anyone wonders, although Moderators ids appear by a topic, the entire Moderation team, Admin and Technical gurus are able to perform moderation on any topic.