Author Topic: Advise for public school needed  (Read 1900 times)

Offline mavioglu

• Subscriber
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Advise for public school needed
« on: 08:29 12-Jun-2017 »
Hi I am a single parent of six and eight year old kids. We will be spending next year in Kiev. I can not afford private schools. I was wondering whether anyone can advice some public schools who is more open to accepting foreign kids with almost no Russian or Ukrainian.
Kids will be taking Russian lessons all summer so come September they may be able to speak a bit.
I appreciate all suggestions thx.

Carlusha

Re: Advise for public school needed
« Reply #1 on: 08:46 12-Jun-2017 »
Hello and welcome aboard.

It may help those who have or know of schools, to be advised if the children's mother tongue is English or otherwise.

Offline mavioglu

• Subscriber
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 12:05 12-Jun-2017 »
Sorry my mistake :)
Their mother tongue is English.

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 300
« Reply #3 on: 19:08 12-Jun-2017 »
Hi I am a single parent of six and eight year old kids. We will be spending next year in Kiev. I can not afford private schools. I was wondering whether anyone can advice some public schools who is more open to accepting foreign kids with almost no Russian or Ukrainian.
That will be a very challenging life... It is very hard to get places in public school in Kiev (for kinder garden, I doubt it get easier for older kids)

Being single parent is already quite heroic, in a foreign country, without much money, without speaking the language that's borderline suicidal

Offline cc3

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 543
  • -Receive: 812
« Reply #4 on: 03:22 13-Jun-2017 »
The country is converting to Ukrainian as the predominant national language. How about Ukrainian lessons?
"But if history teaches anything, it teaches that simpleminded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly. It means the betrayal of our past, the squandering of our freedom."

Ronald Reagan

Offline steveo

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 245
  • -Receive: 417
« Reply #5 on: 06:21 13-Jun-2017 »
Kids will be taking Russian lessons all summer so come September they may be able to speak a bit.
I appreciate all suggestions thx.

You can do it, but you'll need some help getting it done, by a local, or someone who is connected with the school. We got into the kindergarten early by donating two toilets...the director mentioned in the interview they really needed two new toilets, and my wife got the hint. Our first class at school was organised by the teacher, we talked to her first, then applied through the director. There isn't any support, as far as I know, for learning Ukrainian at school for non-speakers, but you can get tutors...which is normal in Ukraine...lots of students have tutors for almost every subject.

Cost also depends where you're studying, in what area etc...in some places you can pay more at State schools than in private schools, in charity (?), gift (?), parents' committee fees (?), school donations (?)...one friend paid many thousands of dollars at their state school for a swimming pool, which never happened, another paid donations for a swimming pool that was built, but the kids are only allowed to use it once a week. There are lots of variables with schools, and if you'll be working in Kyiv, get your employer to help out and give advice. 

Offline somanylollipops

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #6 on: 07:02 13-Jun-2017 »
If your kids' mother is Jewish and you can prove it, there is a great Jewish educational complex just outside of Kiev. They have a bus taking the kids to and from school, and you pay based on how much you can afford. It's clean and modern, and very affordable.

Offline mavioglu

• Subscriber
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 08:09 13-Jun-2017 »
Thx for all suggestions and comments  ;D

I have been told about "gifts" and "donations". And I think I will do my best to "help" the school. I was wondering whether anyone can refer school names that are known to have accepted a foreigner before.

Thx

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
« Reply #8 on: 09:27 13-Jun-2017 »
If your kids' mother is Jewish and you can prove it, there is a great Jewish educational complex just outside of Kiev. They have a bus taking the kids to and from school, and you pay based on how much you can afford. It's clean and modern, and very affordable.

Can you please provide some details. Sounds interesting.
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline somanylollipops

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #9 on: 13:16 15-Jun-2017 »

Can you please provide some details. Sounds interesting.

Basically, it's a Jewish educational complex for kids of all ages, affiliated with the Brodetsky Synagogue in Kiev.. They are funded largely by donations form Jewish communities all over the world.

Try calling the synagogue, they will be able to give you real info.

phone: (044) 221 – 73 – 80
 098-8070553

website (in Russian): http://mitsva613.com.ua/ru/

« Last Edit: 13:21 15-Jun-2017 by somanylollipops »