Author Topic: Registering a car in Ukraine  (Read 7870 times)

Offline Laimon

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Registering a car in Ukraine
« Reply #60 on: 11:33 02-Dec-2018 »
If you want to de-register any car in EU, you need to have the car on the territory of the country of registration ! For me, it means that I have to drive the car back to CZ, de-register it and have an export licenses issued, then travel back to Ukraine, where at the border and according to the new law, will NOT allow me to import the car due to age (2009) !! Well done !

We will speak with a dealer in Lviv and see how can they help. Another broker offered help for about 1500$ all hassle free service.

Checking few German websites, I found that my car is ranging between 2000 and 5500 EUR. A broker would be an option to reduce the value of the car.

We will take the car to the border (Mostestska) next week, I will keep you all posted.

Offline Pantherdk

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 63
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #61 on: 18:58 02-Dec-2018 »
If you want to de-register any car in EU, you need to have the car on the territory of the country of registration ! For me, it means that I have to drive the car back to CZ, de-register it and have an export licenses issued, then travel back to Ukraine, where at the border and according to the new law, will NOT allow me to import the car due to age (2009) !! Well done !

We will speak with a dealer in Lviv and see how can they help. Another broker offered help for about 1500$ all hassle free service.

Checking few German websites, I found that my car is ranging between 2000 and 5500 EUR. A broker would be an option to reduce the value of the car.

We will take the car to the border (Mostestska) next week, I will keep you all posted.

why cant you import a 2009 car ?
The calculator on the import say they cap the import tax on 15 years

Offline Laimon

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #62 on: 06:32 03-Dec-2018 »
True, but valid only for cars on the territories of Ukraine. According to the new law, you can't import to Ukraine cars over five years old. The calculator is for cars inside Ukraine and for individuals who would like to legalize/register their vehicles.

That's to my understanding, not sure if there are exceptions, perhaps for foreign diplomats.

UKUA

« Reply #63 on: 08:44 03-Dec-2018 »
"De-registering" a UK registered vehicle.

Page 10 for you Brits

By law you must tell the DVLA if you are taking your vehicle abroad for more than 12 months

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
« Reply #64 on: 09:25 03-Dec-2018 »
Would that 5 year limit also apply to motorcycles?  ???

And is this limited to Euro Cars? Different for vehicles brought in from the US / Canada?
« Last Edit: 09:27 03-Dec-2018 by AkMike »
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline VGera

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 137
  • Is everything already bad, or still getting worse?
« Reply #65 on: 10:44 03-Dec-2018 »
True, but valid only for cars on the territories of Ukraine. According to the new law, you can't import to Ukraine cars over five years old. The calculator is for cars inside Ukraine and for individuals who would like to legalize/register their vehicles.

That's to my understanding, not sure if there are exceptions, perhaps for foreign diplomats.

Seems that this statement does not have a lawfull background. On the other hand the limit of EURO 5 or higher for newly imported cars is still valid.

A good site for duties calculation is here

https://www.mdoffice.com.ua/ru/aMDOAvto.html

There is also a page, where you can find an "average market price". I have no idea if the officials use the same tables but this site belongs to one of the leading customs declaration program manufacturer. Usually their source is quite credible.

Regarding the brockers: there are 2 types of them over the place.
1. Expensive guys that fix big and small problems
2. Hard working "cheap" guys that mostly do their job (check your dox, submit papers to the customs ) but do not solve problems.
Same as lawyers. They either have to know the law or the judge. Who knows which one would be better for you.
« Last Edit: 10:49 03-Dec-2018 by VGera »

Offline Laimon

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #66 on: 05:44 24-Feb-2019 »
I finally made it ! It was a hassle even after we hired a broker. You will have to de-register the car from the EU anyway, without this document it was impossible.

The total cost including the broker was 2200$ which I consider as a success.

The queues at the border are horrible and thousands of cars are lying down waiting for paperwork. The same at the traffic police in Striyj. It is way better if you have someone with you who knows people from the inside.

My advise to you all, hire someone! Alone, you will have to camp few days at the border and another couple of days at the traffic police.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #67 on: 07:45 24-Feb-2019 »
But you must have hit the customs just before the discount rates expired. The lines should be much shorter now that everyone who waited until the last minute before paying the discount rate has expired.

Cars brought in now will pay a higher rate from what I understand.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline BobLviv

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 173
  • -Receive: 139
  • Feel free to contact me about anything interesting
« Reply #68 on: 10:43 24-Feb-2019 »
I finally made it ! It was a hassle even after we hired a broker. You will have to de-register the car from the EU anyway, without this document it was impossible.
The queues at the border are horrible and thousands of cars are lying down waiting for paperwork. The same at the traffic police in Striyj. It is way better if you have someone with you who knows people from the inside.
My advise to you all, hire someone! Alone, you will have to camp few days at the border and another couple of days at the traffic police.

Laimon, a big congratulations with your success. It's good to hear that you were lucky enough to be apparently at the better border and customs office, and to find a broker who was willing to help you. For me that is a clear sign that you did select the right office ;)

AdMike, You're right. The special period with the 50% rebate prices ended at the end of 22 Febr. Hence the terrible queues everywhere. I understood that certain customs office even remained open till midnight that day.

To provide a general update on my car situation as reported earlier, I appear to be not this lucky at all. My car is still, since 21st Oct. locked up in the customs area and the status of the case is detrimental, to say the least.
I'm working hard to find a working solution, whereby I've full trust in my lawyer in this case ....
No more to say for now.
Slava Ukraina ;)

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #69 on: 11:26 24-Feb-2019 »
I hope it all gets sorted out for you Bob!

I'll be following these steps later on this summer with a motorcycle so I look forward to any helpful hints.

I will be using a broker just for ease but recommendations about a good one would be helpful also.

Offline BobLviv

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #70 on: 16:42 24-Feb-2019 »
I hope it all gets sorted out for you Bob!
 I'll be following these steps later on this summer with a motorcycle so I look forward to any helpful hints.
  I will be using a broker just for ease but recommendations about a good one would be helpful also.

I'll keep you updated here as such. Indeed, a good broker is essential. At the other hand, as mentioned earlier here in the forum, not all brokers are willing to stick out their necks (too much). Hence, as soon as it gets tricky, they may pull out or abstain.

Main point is under what conditions to import the motorcycle. Is it a straight forward import or does it come together with the household?

Where it went wrong in my situation is that I showed too many documents, which in fact where not of there concern. That was due to the lack of a proper broker. When I thought I had one, he kept on saying: I'm trying to help you, but I'm not your broker ...
Basically, as I now understand much better, what you need is the official export form from EU (if applicable) together with a verified value estimate of the vehicle. The latter is disputable, but since some time they now use EU databases for that. Whether that is valid for a motorcycle I cannot tell for now.

BTW, where are you going to pass the border and proceed on the imports with the customs? That, apparently, seems to make a difference too ....

Anyway, I'll keep dropping my updates here. Please help and keep the fingers crossed with me :)

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #71 on: 17:23 24-Feb-2019 »
The bike will be coming from the US. I'm going to travel there for a couple months then bring it across the pond with Air Canada or Lufthansa in the belly of the same bird (special rates for motorcycles) I'm on and tour Europe some on my way home.
My port of entry is wide open.  I'll have receipts for the bike and such.

Offline Pantherdk

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #72 on: 10:39 25-Feb-2019 »

Can you tell how they determined the value of the car ?

Offline BobLviv

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #73 on: 13:13 25-Feb-2019 »
Can you tell how they determined the value of the car ?

It used to be a kind a guess work, whereby the influence of the broker, sometimes with a bit of "motivation money", could properly lower it.

Nowadays, that became more difficult, since the Customs have access to and use amongst others a German online database with the day value of many cars. It's a rather solid database, as one may expect when it's been used in Germany ;) Still, you need a good broker :)

Offline Pantherdk

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #74 on: 15:19 25-Feb-2019 »
Yes thats was also my Guess..

But what if you have an real invoice from a seller of the car

Im still considering to move my BMW X5 onto Ukranian plates in the future.
The car will be sold out from a Company to Me/My wife Private, the carprice would be under market Price due to the sunroof not can open (its an 2K euro Repair probably)

So what would they do in this case, and yes A broker is probably needed to get at least the speed up.