Author Topic: Registering a car in Ukraine  (Read 7871 times)

Offline BobLviv

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 173
  • -Receive: 139
  • Feel free to contact me about anything interesting
Re: Registering a car in Ukraine
« Reply #75 on: 15:50 25-Feb-2019 »
Yes thats was also my Guess..
But what if you have an real invoice from a seller of the car
Im still considering to move my BMW X5 onto Ukranian plates in the future.
The car will be sold out from a Company to Me/My wife Private, the carprice would be under market Price due to the sunroof not can open (its an 2K euro Repair probably)
So what would they do in this case, and yes A broker is probably needed to get at least the speed up.

If you do have a real invoice where you believe the indicated price value is (still) valid at the time you present it to the Customs, it could be that it will be accepted. Still, as I do understand it, through a broker that real amount is negotiable. Additional damage shown on the vehicle could lower the price. A good broker will use such argument.
Make sure that whatever document you are to present, is really needed to add to your case. In addition, make sure that the presented document cannot be interpreted in any other way than what you had in mind. Again, a good broker should protect you here.

I don't think for now I can speak freely here, but I can assure you that with the smallest unexpected detail of information the whole deal could be blown up. Literally.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
« Reply #76 on: 19:07 25-Feb-2019 »
Over 2,800 cars with foreign registration legalized in Ukraine under new rules ? Fiscal Service 16:34, 25 February 2019 ECONOMY 65 0 In the grace period, UAH 13.5 billion (US$ 500 million) in customs payments were channeled into the national budget.

Customs of the State Fiscal Service (SFS) of Ukraine from November 25, 2018 to February 22 cleared over 218,000 motor vehicles with foreign registration plates under new preferential rules, that is a 50% discount on excise tax. "The grace period for the reduced excise tax rate for customs clearance of vehicles ended on February 22. All declarations submitted by citizens before 24:00 on the last day of the grace period will be processed and registered by the SFS within the preferential regime...

Since the beginning of the grace period for customs clearance of cars (November 25, 2018), more than 218,000 vehicles have been legalized by customs as of February 24, 2019," the SFS press service said. Read also Protesters against new duties on imported vehicles blocking traffic at border checkpoints in Western Ukraine Over the said period, UAH 13.5 billion (US$ 500 million) in customs payments were channeled into the national budget, the report said. In total, 700 vehicles with foreign registration plates have undergone customs clearance procedures on February 22 alone, it said. Citizens were most active in terms of customs clearance of their vehicles in Kyiv region (24,103 cars), Volyn region (15,443 cars), Zakarpattia region (12,094 cars), Lviv region (11,163 cars), and Chernivtsi region (10,652 cars)," the SFS press service said on February 25.

As UNIAN reported earlier, the laws of Ukraine on introducing amendments to the Tax and Customs Codes regarding the reduction of excise tax on passenger cars and increased control over the movement and use of cars with foreign registration plates came into force on November 25. The legislation introduced basic excise rates depending on the type of the engine and its displacement. Used cars that had already been brought into Ukraine's customs territory without customs clearance before the introduction of the said laws were subject to a 0.5 coefficient to calculate the tax rate for customs clearance within 90 days after the laws became effective. Owners of cars with foreign registration plates repeatedly held protests in Ukraine. They demanded that the government reduce the cost of customs clearance of their cars and stop putting pressure on them.

Read more on UNIAN: https://economics.unian.info/10459335-over-2-800-cars-with-foreign-registration-legalized-in-ukraine-under-new-rules-fiscal-service.html
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Pantherdk

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 63
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #77 on: 23:13 25-Feb-2019 »

If you do have a real invoice where you believe the indicated price value is (still) valid at the time you present it to the Customs, it could be that it will be accepted. Still, as I do understand it, through a broker that real amount is negotiable. Additional damage shown on the vehicle could lower the price. A good broker will use such argument.
Make sure that whatever document you are to present, is really needed to add to your case. In addition, make sure that the presented document cannot be interpreted in any other way than what you had in mind. Again, a good broker should protect you here.

I don't think for now I can speak freely here, but I can assure you that with the smallest unexpected detail of information the whole deal could be blown up. Literally.

Thx.

Yes I will use a broker if I decide to go this way, just didnt have time and option to fix it this time so will look at it Again in some months when the brokers also are more hungry for business.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #78 on: 09:45 26-Feb-2019 »
Would it help if the bill of sale were notarized? We all know how much value they seem to have in the 'blue stamps'...
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Pantherdk

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 63
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #79 on: 18:40 26-Feb-2019 »
Would it help if the bill of sale were notarized? We all know how much value they seem to have in the 'blue stamps'...

I would ofc do that because the car is from bulgaria where they also use notary alot.
And i couls get it foe 25 euro so why not do that.

Offline BobLviv

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #80 on: 10:24 27-Feb-2019 »
I would ofc do that because the car is from bulgaria where they also use notary alot.
And i couls get it foe 25 euro so why not do that.
In my opinion it is difficult to predict. It may depend on the particular customs office involved. In addition, the customs appear to do what they believe is right. Whether that is rightful ....
BTW, there seems to be a new way of working. That is, the request will be put into the computerised system with all the necessary info. Then the system randomly allocates a customs officer to deal with it. That officer may be anywhere in Ukraine and is as such "unknown". It's seems to be a way to fight corruption.

Offline VGera

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 137
  • Is everything already bad, or still getting worse?
« Reply #81 on: 10:32 27-Feb-2019 »
Congratulations Laimon!

Just writing to amend all that I many times posted here and to many of you in PMs.

You are now absolutely free to choose at which customs office to clear your car (be it border, your local customs office or kyiv).

No brocker knows in advance the customs value, that will be defined by the customs. This is negotiable - yes. If you have a true and legal invoice - surely it is a benefit and will give you/your brocker a strong position. The brocker that tells you exact customs value upfront - plays dirty games with customs and will save you 200-300 euros but he will never be YOUR brocker.

Cars/bikes from across the ocean: if you bring it inside a container to Odessa - the transport costs will be added to your customs value. If received in EU and entered ukrborder "on wheels" - no see freight added.

Documents to be agreed with the brocker upfront - good idea. Having dox in hand try to consult few possible agents at different customs offices. The approaches may slightly differ.

Any questions - let me know.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #82 on: 12:07 27-Feb-2019 »
I've read about "De-registering" a vehicle from Europe in order to bring it into Ukraine, but how would that work for one from the US?  ???

It's not done there.  :-[  I'll have the title, (proof of ownership) and current registration of the bike.  Do overseas cars/bikes need to be de-registered also?

Offline VGera

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #83 on: 13:57 27-Feb-2019 »
  I'll have the title, (proof of ownership) and current registration of the bike. 

Can you send a copy of the dox available (or sample of the dox to probably be available)? I will ask proper guys.

Offline VGera

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #84 on: 14:33 27-Feb-2019 »

This is how EXPORT stamp looks like on a salvage title. I believe that it is possible to get the same when you export a car with a cert of ownership. This stamp proves to be sufficient. If any new information arises I will keep you updated.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #85 on: 00:31 28-Feb-2019 »
I believe that stamp is the mark of export by the US Customs showing that it's exported. On the US end that appears to be all that is needed.

Offline VGera

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #86 on: 14:07 28-Feb-2019 »
I believe that stamp is the mark of export by the US Customs showing that it's exported. On the US end that appears to be all that is needed.

At least in Kyiv customs and when laid upon salvage title - YES.

Offline BobLviv

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #87 on: 18:19 20-Mar-2019 »
It is with pleasure that I can announce the successful finalisation of my car import.
As mentioned earlier, after the duty free import failed due to the lack of proper acting by my presumed broker, the car got stuck at the customs premises. Whatever was demanded and provided appeared not to be sufficient, satisfactory or whatever to release the car. They wanted to see money, this was clear.
Thanks to the help of a perfect team of lawyers we managed to go onto a different track, but not duty free. Still it took time and effort. Where the car was turned-in second half of October, it spent all winter tight up to finally be released beginning of March. At least I did not use my winter tires this time ;)
I'll save you the financial calculations but it was a lot for "duty free"  >:(
Having the right or being in a legally rightful position does not mean you'll succeed that way.
I would like to thank my fellow expats here and the others who have supported, assisted and sympathised with me and this case.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #88 on: 19:37 20-Mar-2019 »
Oh, Oh, Oh ,can I be next??  Please Please Pretty Please???   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)