Expatriate Life > Health and Medical - and vets

Health Insurance and care

(1/5) > >>

Hairball:
I wanted to fill in my fellow expats, and those who are looking for insurance. I had a serious medical emergency this year. I was rushed to the hospital twice last month. It turns out that I was having liver failure. The cause, fungal infection. Either I breathed some spores or I ingested them....From where? we don't know since we travel a lot. I have been doing infusion therapy every day for about 40 days....my arms are black and blue beyond the rainbow colors. I have had so much testing, and maybe have seen more than 20 doctors....So far the only cost to me has been medicine, since my policy has a cap on that....and the food that my family brought to me in the hospital...I think I am about 900 out of pocket expenses. The meds in the US would be over a 100K so far.
The point I wanted to make is about insurance....I have a premium policy that cost me about 60 dollars a year...I see people trying to short change the system....You never know when something like this is going to happen to you. I have to say I am very happy with the quality of care I get here.

Carlusha:
HB, firstly and most importantly, I hope you are well on the mend.

Secondly, it would appear your insurance company deserves a recommendation on the forum.

frank1010:

--- Quote from: Hairball on 11:14 02-Aug-2017 ---I wanted to fill in my fellow expats, and those who are looking for insurance. I had a serious medical emergency this year. I was rushed to the hospital twice last month. It turns out that I was having liver failure. The cause, fungal infection. Either I breathed some spores or I ingested them....From where? we don't know since we travel a lot. I have been doing infusion therapy every day for about 40 days....my arms are black and blue beyond the rainbow colors. I have had so much testing, and maybe have seen more than 20 doctors....So far the only cost to me has been medicine, since my policy has a cap on that....and the food that my family brought to me in the hospital...I think I am about 900 out of pocket expenses. The meds in the US would be over a 100K so far.
The point I wanted to make is about insurance....I have a premium policy that cost me about 60 dollars a year...I see people trying to short change the system....You never know when something like this is going to happen to you. I have to say I am very happy with the quality of care I get here.

--- End quote ---

Hope you are better! Sounds quite serious ... Is this a standard medical insurance or a kind of travel insurance? If it is the latter I have a similar insurance which would cover any kind of emergency treatment without limits and in case of something complicated they would repatriate me by medic flight. Cost is 20 euro per year and the insurance company is AXA. But this covers only emergencies whilst travelling for a stay of 30 days ...

Ron-n-Sveta:
yes hb share the information pls. and really hope the doctors doing good for you.

BobLviv:
@hairball  Shocking to hear :( Wish you a quick recovery to return to normal and enjoyable life again ;)
And yes, if you are able to share the details on the insurance cy concerned, I think they deserve a mention here in the forum.

@Frank1010 I think one has to be careful with insurances based on "short" stay abroad. Be it health, accident or car insurance, be properly aware of the small print that might limit or even make obsolete the insurance if you stay much longer out of the country where the insurance was taken. e.g. my car insurance limits my stay abroad to a max of 2 months. Hence, I have postpone it for now and took a local minimum one here in Lviv.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version