Author Topic: Marrying a Ukrainian Citizen  (Read 929 times)

Offline Pesco169

• Now, married to a wonderful Ukrainian woman 👍
  • Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • Old enough to know better, and young enough .....
Marrying a Ukrainian Citizen
« on: 12:32 06-Sep-2017 »
I am in Ukraine, I want to marry a Ukrainian citizen, we want to live in Ukraine.
Could someone advise on the simplest way to accomplish this.

Thanks Pesco169

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss passionately, hug slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. 😉

Online Tnic

• Rogue Moderator at large
  • Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4013
  • -Receive: 1729
  • Gainfully unemployed
Re: Marrying a Ukrainian Citizen
« Reply #1 on: 12:53 06-Sep-2017 »
As far as the marriage is concerned, you'll need:

- (if married previously) an apostilled copy of the divorce decree (or death certificate if applicable)
- A translated and notarized copy of your passport.

Have your blushing bride to be go to the ZAGS office with jurisdiction and ask them what they require for your situation.

Kyiv is one of several cities that have same day marriage as well.  Google it for the office you would like to use.

EDIT:  Found my One day Marriage thread.
http://www.expatua.com/forum/index.php?topic=16963.msg120182#msg120182
« Last Edit: 13:57 06-Sep-2017 by Tnic »
Recent science has shown that saliva causes cancer, but only swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2451
  • -Receive: 1860
« Reply #2 on: 14:18 06-Sep-2017 »
You'll have more hurdles to stay here.  Search for TRP, Visa D
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Pesco169

• Now, married to a wonderful Ukrainian woman 👍
  • Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • Old enough to know better, and young enough .....
« Reply #3 on: 10:53 12-Sep-2017 »
Thanks for the information 👍
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss passionately, hug slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. 😉

Online Tnic

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #4 on: 12:34 12-Sep-2017 »
I am in Ukraine, I want to marry a Ukrainian citizen, we want to live in Ukraine.

Thanks Pesco169

Forgot to mention.  There IS no simple way for anything in Ukraine.  Prepare yourself for paper chasing and little blue stamps.
Recent science has shown that saliva causes cancer, but only swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3104
  • -Receive: 4822
  • What's the future ever done for me?
« Reply #5 on: 14:25 12-Sep-2017 »

Thanks Pesco169

Forgot to mention.  There IS no simple way for anything in Ukraine.  Prepare yourself for paper chasing and little blue stamps.

Tru dat. It will drive you crazy. But take your fiance with you at all times to make sure you bot get an accurate list of documents you will need, make duplicates (at the very least) and plenty of passport photos!
« Last Edit: 05:02 13-Sep-2017 by Fraucha »
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #6 on: 20:51 12-Sep-2017 »
How would they know if you had been married before or how many times?

Could one simplify by just claiming "never married?"

What if married 2 or 3 times, would the paperwork need to be done on all? I have a friend who has been married 4 times.
Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Online Tnic

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #7 on: 02:12 13-Sep-2017 »

What if married 2 or 3 times, would the paperwork need to be done on all? I have a friend who has been married 4 times.

Good point Dan.  If you're already here then it might be worth a go, but its not a big deal to get a certified copy of the divorce doc and have it apostilled before you head over.

You only need the most recent divorce doc.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 02:10 05-Feb-2018 »

Good point Dan.  If you're already here then it might be worth a go, but its not a big deal to get a certified copy of the divorce doc and have it apostilled before you head over.

Can those documents or copies of them be made in Ukraine if I bring the originals there?

Online Tnic

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #9 on: 05:14 05-Feb-2018 »

Can those documents or copies of them be made in Ukraine if I bring the originals there?

Documents can only be apostilled by the State's (or Authority with jurisdiction for our Intl. friends) Sec State where it was issued.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 15:13 07-Feb-2018 »
I am slow so let me ask farther.

I would go to the court house and get an Apostilized copy of the divorce decree.
  IS that the same thing as notorized?
  Does that need to be translated?

Passport: Who can do the translation and how is a copy obtailed. Can it be dont at the local passport office?
It would seem the translator would need some credentials?

I wonder if the passport copy and translation could be done at the US embassy in Kiev?

Documents can only be apostilled by the State's (or Authority with jurisdiction for our Intl. friends) Sec State where it was issued.

Online Tnic

• Global Moderator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • Gainfully unemployed
« Reply #11 on: 15:43 07-Feb-2018 »
I am slow so let me ask farther.

I would go to the court house and get an Apostilized copy of the divorce decree.
  IS that the same thing as notorized?
  Does that need to be translated?

Passport: Who can do the translation and how is a copy obtailed. Can it be dont at the local passport office?
It would seem the translator would need some credentials?

I wonder if the passport copy and translation could be done at the US embassy in Kiev

I'll try to type slower so you can keep up.  :D

The US Embassy doesn't do translations or Apostilles.  They do provide notarial services, but not much beyond that.

An Apostille is for all intents and purposes, an International Notary and is recognized by signatories of the Hague Convention of which UA is one.

The court will give you a Certified (for legal use) Divorce Decree or a Judgement (depending on the State).  You will have search your State's .gov site and find the contact/mailing info for their Apostille dept (in the Sec of State's office).  There will likely be a downloadable form you can fill out to send with your decree and the payment.  Both the Court and the Sec State will charge a nominal fee.

Translations of your PP should be done here.  Most translation services either have a Notary on site or will hand carry to one nearby whom they have an arrangement with.  The translation will be bound with thread (in booklet format) and carry the coveted little blue stamps and statements of certification of the translator and Notary.

Your lady should be able to find a translator easily.
« Last Edit: 15:46 07-Feb-2018 by Tnic »