Author Topic: Winter is coming!!! Something to do!  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
Winter is coming!!! Something to do!
« on: 09:10 15-Sep-2017 »
Thanks Ned!!!

Yeah winter is indeed on it's way, it happens every year. I am NOT a snow and ice person, lucky for me I live in Ukraine right? I went ice skating once, and took a gun just incase I fell down here on the ice and broke something, then I could be put down like a horse rather than go to a Ukrainian hospital.

Question:  So, what to do in the winter? Well lucky for you all I am a lazy bastard and have looked into this for ya.
Answer: Sex! Yeah, duh!
Answer: Drinking! Been there done that, bored.
Answer: Eating! Aw, we gonna do that anyway, much like drinking. Plus it makes ya fat.
Answer: Join a gym and exercise! Frak you.
Answer: E-sports!!

E-sports? WTH is that you ask... well here is a quick link and keep in mind that the numbers are significantly higher this year  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESports.

But wait, you say, I don't want to be a E-sport player, even if some of them make enough to by a small country once in awhile.

But, one day, I was poking around this E-sport thang and was told by my teen friend that I am "way behind the times bitch..." And it did not take long to find some streaming games to watch. There are many and I am only going to suggest ONE. One that you can play at home for pretty much free and does not require you to join a team, make money or go crazy. I figured since I have played, tested and helped fix some of World of Warcraft for the past 14 years I would at least look at my Battlenet Page (App) that connects me to all of my Blizzard games instantly. One of the games is HEARTHSTONE.

Hearthstone was the game I first watched via live streaming video from Hamburg, it was the European Championships, the finals were between the Czech Team and..... Ukraine. So, being a good salo eater I sat down and watched the finals. Alas, Ukraine lost to the Czechs, who took home one million dollars. I don't know what the Ukrainians took home but you can bet it wasn't a loaf of bread and a hunk of butter. These boys made some serious bucks playing an electronic fantasy card game!

I was duly confused as the what the hell was going on but Hearthstone looked fun. Soooooooo.....Hearthstone is on my Blizzard App Page (Battle.net), it is FREE to play, and judging by the amount of viewers watching the finals I had just watched (69,000 people) I gathered it was popular. I started the game, and it downloaded in a few minutes. It is a streaming live game directly from Blizzard's servers, all your stuff is kept in the cloud. (trust me this is a good thing).

I opened the game, read the instructions on how to play, opened my first Hero (one of nine you are given) and went to the Introductory Instructional game section. Picked up the mechanics in less than a minute. So, we have a card game, with fantasy figures and some numbers and some powers, you are dealt out a set of cards, you play your cards to beat your opponent. Just like any card game. But this one is more closely related to the old Magic The Gathering (Magic) card game, in other words, it works the same but except in the World of Warcraft World. If you know anything about gaming in the past you would know Magic was both game world changing and game world killing, nearly killing wargames by taking all the players and recruiting legions of kids around the planet into the game world....they never left Magic and slowly as the board game community dwindled the computer came along and smashed face to face wargames into the ground. RIP - SPI, Avalon Hill, TSR :-( if they didn't go out of business they had to go digital. But I am off topic again...

Back to Hearthstone. It is amazingly easy to play and I feel like the dork I am for not understanding it while I was watching it. And, a lot of fun, and cheap, if not free.  Free meaning you can play for weeks and never spend a single dime. There is no monthly gaming fee unlike WoW where it is about $15.(which is pretty cheap actually)  But I would suggest spending 5 Euros to get the Welcome Pack of ten packs of basic cards (50 cards, 5 cards per pack)  to help round out the 90 the Intro game gives, you. As you progress you will be awarded free packs and cards. $5 in the US Server, but since I run on the Euro server for this game I bought in Euros. No big deal it is only five bucks... This is a one on one turn based card game, it does not get any simpler than that....until you you start and each card's special ability immediately comes into play, fun ensues. Each game takes five to ten minutes to play. No huge time commitment here.

You can play this game solo, or you can play with other players in your region. (there are 70 million active players, yes I said 70 million). I have a US Blizzard Account, but I chose to open this up in the European server since I figured I would have more people awake when I wanted to play head to head. You may play on the North American server, European server or Asian Server...but NOT China's servers, those boys are not allowed to play with us...talk to the Chinese Communist Party about this) Playing other players is really fun and you will advance your characters faster and get more cards into your decks. The interesting thing is that you do not get to talk to your opponent, because who needs that poop? It is annoying to watch chat channels, and it does lead to people being assholes. So play solo (against the AI), or player vs Player (PvP). A.I. is pretty good, it almost never makes an error. Blizzard has been around long enough to know that a bad random number generator (RGN), one that can be screwed with, is a very bad thing for any company. I trust these guys, they always strictly adhere to fairness with their RNGs and if a drop rate is announced in WoW you can bet your bottom dollar that the drop rate is held. Hearthstone is the easiest...the AI does not have to control multitudes of swarming soldiers or monsters to target and attack you...just cards.

How many cards are there? You ask. Er, a couple hundred or more. You can win cards, or buy additional packs to build up your collection. Packs are 2.99 Euro each or $2.99 in the North American store, and as you buy multiple packs the price drops. There are some Adventures that cost extra if you want to play those, cards are awarded for completing missions and adventures. I bought these, just because. Cards come in  STANDARD or WILD catagories, standard is or just about everything day to day, Wild is for playing .... wild! You know, anything goes and that is usually reserved for ranked play or special events.

The great thing about the number of cards is this: You can only have in your entire collection TWO of each card (expect Legendary you get one). Blizz keeps track of your collection and IF you happen to get a third card or more of whatever you have, the option of turning that card to DUST, which you collect to CRAFT cards you do not have. Pretty cool actually, I have made a few cards from Dust. AND get this, if you have 18 different decks built up, you can use the same cards in each deck...let me explain. You start with nine Character classes...Rogue, Druid, Warrior, Paladin, Hunter, Warlock, Mage, Priest, Shaman. Each character has 30 cards in his deck. And if you have ONE of for example MURLOC TIDECALLER in your master collection each one of the nine can have it in their deck also, if you have two of Murloc Tidecallers then each one can have two...if you have three...the Crafting section will put it up for Dust. You may adjust your hand of 30 with the available cards you have, on the playing board you can have no more than 10 in your hand, 30 in your deck to draw from, no more than seven minions in play ON THE BOARD at one time. Your turn starts - a card is drawn, you play the cards(minions) to the board as you see fit and either they die or continue on. Your turn is over, opponent does the same, rinse and repeat until there is a winner.

You purchase cards with real money OR GOLD. 100 gold gets you one pack of your choice from the store. Gold is earned daily, by winning games (win three games get 10 gold) or completing daily things like win three games with a ROGUE or something, usually that gets you 40 gold (plus the 10 for winning three=50g). The gold is always awarded when you PvP. Cards are won by your NINE classes as the progress to level 20. 

So you have a few options besides SOLO, PvP, and Purchased Adventures. There is a Tavern Brawl that has different requirements each time, sometimes you get a pre-built deck with stuff you have never seen, this really helps to learn about different cards and how they affect you. And Arena Play, that cost $1.99 to get in or 150 gold, you get a free pass to the Arena for three games. At the end of three your freebe is over dude. You can play Standard or Ranked level 25 play with Wild cards for free until you are blue in the face.

This is a pretty simple game, lots of fun, takes no time at all to play a single game, is kinda addictive, doesn't tax your processor to death like a WoW RAID encounter. No pressure to move on to other levels. Will take time to master.

A few last things before I put links. Just like poker, there may be a poop load of good cards in the deck, and if you play them the way you want you will have a strong hand and then someone will have a better sequence....in this game no matter what you have in the 30 cards in your deck, you only get what you get when you get it. And there are times I get all my expensive cards way too early and there is nothing I can do about it except pray my opponent is a noob. There are times when as the game progresses I really need card XXXX but it hasn't been dealt yet...There are times when I wanna kill the RGN. But, in the end it is all fair, and fun. So come winter, I have something to pass the time....as long as I remember to get up every 30 minutes to walk around...

Blizz takes care of all the accounting, keeps track of everything, and links you to your regional store when you need it. There are TWO stores for each region...the linked-in Hearthstone Store or the Blizzard Store linked to your Battle.net (a larger product selection in this store). When you select a region to play Hearthstone in, and you collect cards but later decide to switch regions...YOUR CARDS DO NOT COME WITH YOU nor do your wins and standings. So select your region carefully. Select your Language carefully also. You can NOT trade cards with other players!! Or sell your cards since you do not have direct access to them. You win what you win, you buy from Blizzard off it goes to the Cloud.

https://us.battle.net/account/download/
https://eu.battle.net/account/download/

Battle.net is your account with Blizzard. It is free to join. I am at this point unable to give you much else on that page as I have been linked in for so long I actually can not see the first download page anymore. You can also watch live games from Blizzard events off the Battle.net page or watch on TWITCH etc.

Join, log in and download Hearthstone and give it a try, let me know what ya think!

No, I am not in Blizzard's nor TWITCH's pay.
Blizzard Entertainment is owned by Activision

Edited for spelling and other stuff.

« Last Edit: 12:08 15-Sep-2017 by Fraucha »

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
Re: Winter is coming!!! Something to do!
« Reply #1 on: 16:01 15-Sep-2017 »
better to be outside chopping wood
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 17:02 15-Sep-2017 »
I got a teen son to do that poop   :D

Offline EnglishMKyiv

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 284
« Reply #3 on: 06:53 16-Sep-2017 »
Learn how to play the guitar instead much more fun and it is real not imaginary
We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 10:47 16-Sep-2017 »

Been there done that!

Tnic

« Reply #5 on: 13:19 16-Sep-2017 »

My bride is still young looking and hot (Seriously!  Men young enough to be her son still stop her on the street and ask for her number).  I think I'll play with her this winter.   ;D

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 300
« Reply #6 on: 07:18 17-Sep-2017 »
My bride is still young looking and hot (Seriously!  Men young enough to be her son still stop her on the street and ask for her number).  I think I'll play with her this winter.   ;D
A special focus on Trump achievements, a unique writing "style"...
I have to be the first one to say it : Welcome to the forum Mr President !

PS : please, don't send the CIA to eliminate Sosednik, he's just a lost soul ;)

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 07:19 17-Sep-2017 »
As long as we are off topic:

EAT SALO, BITCHES

Tnic

« Reply #8 on: 12:40 17-Sep-2017 »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Kord

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 541
  • -Receive: 341
« Reply #9 on: 10:19 18-Sep-2017 »
Thanks Ned!!!

Yeah winter is indeed on it's way, it happens every year. I am NOT a snow and ice person, lucky for me I live in Ukraine right? I went ice skating once, and took a gun just incase I fell down here on the ice and broke something, then I could be put down like a horse rather than go to a Ukrainian hospital.

Question:  So, what to do in the winter? Well lucky for you all I am a lazy bastard and have looked into this for ya.
Answer: Sex! Yeah, duh!
Answer: Drinking! Been there done that, bored.
Answer: Eating! Aw, we gonna do that anyway, much like drinking. Plus it makes ya fat.
Answer: Join a gym and exercise! Frak you.
Answer: E-sports!!

E-sports? WTH is that you ask... well here is a quick link and keep in mind that the numbers are significantly higher this year  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESports.

But wait, you say, I don't want to be a E-sport player, even if some of them make enough to by a small country once in awhile.

But, one day, I was poking around this E-sport thang and was told by my teen friend that I am "way behind the times bitch..." And it did not take long to find some streaming games to watch. There are many and I am only going to suggest ONE. One that you can play at home for pretty much free and does not require you to join a team, make money or go crazy. I figured since I have played, tested and helped fix some of World of Warcraft for the past 14 years I would at least look at my Battlenet Page (App) that connects me to all of my Blizzard games instantly. One of the games is HEARTHSTONE.

Hearthstone was the game I first watched via live streaming video from Hamburg, it was the European Championships, the finals were between the Czech Team and..... Ukraine. So, being a good salo eater I sat down and watched the finals. Alas, Ukraine lost to the Czechs, who took home one million dollars. I don't know what the Ukrainians took home but you can bet it wasn't a loaf of bread and a hunk of butter. These boys made some serious bucks playing an electronic fantasy card game!

I was duly confused as the what the hell was going on but Hearthstone looked fun. Soooooooo.....Hearthstone is on my Blizzard App Page (Battle.net), it is FREE to play, and judging by the amount of viewers watching the finals I had just watched (69,000 people) I gathered it was popular. I started the game, and it downloaded in a few minutes. It is a streaming live game directly from Blizzard's servers, all your stuff is kept in the cloud. (trust me this is a good thing).

I opened the game, read the instructions on how to play, opened my first Hero (one of nine you are given) and went to the Introductory Instructional game section. Picked up the mechanics in less than a minute. So, we have a card game, with fantasy figures and some numbers and some powers, you are dealt out a set of cards, you play your cards to beat your opponent. Just like any card game. But this one is more closely related to the old Magic The Gathering (Magic) card game, in other words, it works the same but except in the World of Warcraft World. If you know anything about gaming in the past you would know Magic was both game world changing and game world killing, nearly killing wargames by taking all the players and recruiting legions of kids around the planet into the game world....they never left Magic and slowly as the board game community dwindled the computer came along and smashed face to face wargames into the ground. RIP - SPI, Avalon Hill, TSR :-( if they didn't go out of business they had to go digital. But I am off topic again...

Back to Hearthstone. It is amazingly easy to play and I feel like the dork I am for not understanding it while I was watching it. And, a lot of fun, and cheap, if not free.  Free meaning you can play for weeks and never spend a single dime. There is no monthly gaming fee unlike WoW where it is about $15.(which is pretty cheap actually)  But I would suggest spending 5 Euros to get the Welcome Pack of ten packs of basic cards (50 cards, 5 cards per pack)  to help round out the 90 the Intro game gives, you. As you progress you will be awarded free packs and cards. $5 in the US Server, but since I run on the Euro server for this game I bought in Euros. No big deal it is only five bucks... This is a one on one turn based card game, it does not get any simpler than that....until you you start and each card's special ability immediately comes into play, fun ensues. Each game takes five to ten minutes to play. No huge time commitment here.

You can play this game solo, or you can play with other players in your region. (there are 70 million active players, yes I said 70 million). I have a US Blizzard Account, but I chose to open this up in the European server since I figured I would have more people awake when I wanted to play head to head. You may play on the North American server, European server or Asian Server...but NOT China's servers, those boys are not allowed to play with us...talk to the Chinese Communist Party about this) Playing other players is really fun and you will advance your characters faster and get more cards into your decks. The interesting thing is that you do not get to talk to your opponent, because who needs that poop? It is annoying to watch chat channels, and it does lead to people being assholes. So play solo (against the AI), or player vs Player (PvP). A.I. is pretty good, it almost never makes an error. Blizzard has been around long enough to know that a bad random number generator (RGN), one that can be screwed with, is a very bad thing for any company. I trust these guys, they always strictly adhere to fairness with their RNGs and if a drop rate is announced in WoW you can bet your bottom dollar that the drop rate is held. Hearthstone is the easiest...the AI does not have to control multitudes of swarming soldiers or monsters to target and attack you...just cards.

How many cards are there? You ask. Er, a couple hundred or more. You can win cards, or buy additional packs to build up your collection. Packs are 2.99 Euro each or $2.99 in the North American store, and as you buy multiple packs the price drops. There are some Adventures that cost extra if you want to play those, cards are awarded for completing missions and adventures. I bought these, just because. Cards come in  STANDARD or WILD catagories, standard is or just about everything day to day, Wild is for playing .... wild! You know, anything goes and that is usually reserved for ranked play or special events.

The great thing about the number of cards is this: You can only have in your entire collection TWO of each card (expect Legendary you get one). Blizz keeps track of your collection and IF you happen to get a third card or more of whatever you have, the option of turning that card to DUST, which you collect to CRAFT cards you do not have. Pretty cool actually, I have made a few cards from Dust. AND get this, if you have 18 different decks built up, you can use the same cards in each deck...let me explain. You start with nine Character classes...Rogue, Druid, Warrior, Paladin, Hunter, Warlock, Mage, Priest, Shaman. Each character has 30 cards in his deck. And if you have ONE of for example MURLOC TIDECALLER in your master collection each one of the nine can have it in their deck also, if you have two of Murloc Tidecallers then each one can have two...if you have three...the Crafting section will put it up for Dust. You may adjust your hand of 30 with the available cards you have, on the playing board you can have no more than 10 in your hand, 30 in your deck to draw from, no more than seven minions in play ON THE BOARD at one time. Your turn starts - a card is drawn, you play the cards(minions) to the board as you see fit and either they die or continue on. Your turn is over, opponent does the same, rinse and repeat until there is a winner.

You purchase cards with real money OR GOLD. 100 gold gets you one pack of your choice from the store. Gold is earned daily, by winning games (win three games get 10 gold) or completing daily things like win three games with a ROGUE or something, usually that gets you 40 gold (plus the 10 for winning three=50g). The gold is always awarded when you PvP. Cards are won by your NINE classes as the progress to level 20. 

So you have a few options besides SOLO, PvP, and Purchased Adventures. There is a Tavern Brawl that has different requirements each time, sometimes you get a pre-built deck with stuff you have never seen, this really helps to learn about different cards and how they affect you. And Arena Play, that cost $1.99 to get in or 150 gold, you get a free pass to the Arena for three games. At the end of three your freebe is over dude. You can play Standard or Ranked level 25 play with Wild cards for free until you are blue in the face.

This is a pretty simple game, lots of fun, takes no time at all to play a single game, is kinda addictive, doesn't tax your processor to death like a WoW RAID encounter. No pressure to move on to other levels. Will take time to master.

A few last things before I put links. Just like poker, there may be a poop load of good cards in the deck, and if you play them the way you want you will have a strong hand and then someone will have a better sequence....in this game no matter what you have in the 30 cards in your deck, you only get what you get when you get it. And there are times I get all my expensive cards way too early and there is nothing I can do about it except pray my opponent is a noob. There are times when as the game progresses I really need card XXXX but it hasn't been dealt yet...There are times when I wanna kill the RGN. But, in the end it is all fair, and fun. So come winter, I have something to pass the time....as long as I remember to get up every 30 minutes to walk around...

Blizz takes care of all the accounting, keeps track of everything, and links you to your regional store when you need it. There are TWO stores for each region...the linked-in Hearthstone Store or the Blizzard Store linked to your Battle.net (a larger product selection in this store). When you select a region to play Hearthstone in, and you collect cards but later decide to switch regions...YOUR CARDS DO NOT COME WITH YOU nor do your wins and standings. So select your region carefully. Select your Language carefully also. You can NOT trade cards with other players!! Or sell your cards since you do not have direct access to them. You win what you win, you buy from Blizzard off it goes to the Cloud.

https://us.battle.net/account/download/
https://eu.battle.net/account/download/

Battle.net is your account with Blizzard. It is free to join. I am at this point unable to give you much else on that page as I have been linked in for so long I actually can not see the first download page anymore. You can also watch live games from Blizzard events off the Battle.net page or watch on TWITCH etc.

Join, log in and download Hearthstone and give it a try, let me know what ya think!

No, I am not in Blizzard's nor TWITCH's pay.
Blizzard Entertainment is owned by Activision

Edited for spelling and other stuff.

tl;dr

so hearthstone is good or no???

Fraucha r u still in to Eve online?

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 05:08 19-Sep-2017 »
your answer was too short I didn't read it either.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1880
  • -Receive: 1612
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #11 on: 20:19 19-Sep-2017 »

I'm going to like this thread.  Just got home from Odessa (as in 5 min. ago).   Headache, ear infection, but this thread caught my eye on my one free-bee visit to the site on phone when not logged in properly. 

Keep this thread going; I'll be back in week to raise hell.   :D :D. Or just to chuckle a little.   

BTW to Fraucha; I passed by (not through) Bila Tservka -- was going to take a photo with a "Fraucha was here" motif.  Just couldn't do it; dog and wife in car and little off route.   
🇺🇸   Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.  🇺🇸

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: 04:52 20-Sep-2017 »
I need a goat cart full of salo.....makes for a better pic I think.

Played Hearthstone for a few hours yesterday, have to be careful to watch the time or things will not get done around the house or in the yard!
Playing Ranked Players is pretty fun, even if you get your ass handed to you, there is ample opportunity to see the decks others have built.
« Last Edit: 10:27 14-Nov-2017 by Fraucha »

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1880
  • -Receive: 1612
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #13 on: 17:23 20-Sep-2017 »
Played Hearthstone for a few hours yesterday

I don't know much about online games. 

Did you ever get a chance to download movies from that site I showed you?  (It was over a year ago, so no worries if you don't remember.)

If anyone else wants help finding English language movies online, hit me up.   It's good entertainment for the Winter. 
🇺🇸   Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.  🇺🇸

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
« Reply #14 on: 18:33 20-Sep-2017 »
https://gostream.is/   is one of the best ones that I've found.  It's morphed several times (123movies.tu and 123moviesHD.tu) and this is the current version.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff