Author Topic: Studying computer programming and Mandarin Chinese in Kyiv  (Read 992 times)

Offline TrueFaux

• Subscriber
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Hi Guys

This might be a bit of a specific question, but if anyone has any relevant personal experience or useful contacts, that would be very helpful.

I'm likely to relocate to Kyiv shortly for personal reasons, and may change from a career in finance/audit, in 2 possible directions: (i) to try to re-train from scratch as a computer programmer; and (ii) to study Mandarin.  (As long as the course is taught in English or Russian, but not Ukrainian, that would be fine.)

(i)
Did anyone here ever study computer programming at one of the universities?  From speaking to a couple of people, I suspect that the course might be a bit old-fashioned / not cutting edge, and would take years, with no option for a one-year diploma or anything like that.  So that would only be an option if I wanted to spend years, and if I really wanted a degree-level qualification.

I was advised that it would be better to try one of the few companies that train people up from scratch (but I expect they're not particularly looking to take on UK trainees). Or self-teach via online resources, short-term courses, etc.  I'm rather have something that leads to a more recognisable certificate, like a one-year diploma, but maybe that's not realistic.

(ii)
Similar questions re Mandarin - presumably there are degree courses available, but might be a bit old-fashioned, and would take years, with no option for a one-year diploma or anything like that?  Presumably there are shorter-term private courses, etc., though that might not lead to a recognisable qualification?

Any advice much appreciated... (Don't need any advice on alternative careers or locations, thanks - am interested specifically in the above areas, in Kyiv.)

Carlusha

I cannot answer your questions BUT I believe you will learn soon enough after your arrival that Ukrainian computer programming skills/expertise are sought globally.

Mandarin may as well be Chinese to me. Oh, sorry, it is! One for YoungKen to answer then.

Tnic

I cannot answer your questions BUT I believe you will learn soon enough after your arrival that Ukrainian computer programming skills/expertise are sought globally.

Yes, they need a new generation of Macedonian content farmers ready for the next election. 

Carlusha

Yes, they need a new generation of Macedonian content farmers ready for the next election.

Now, now! We have a topic specifically for US Politics!   ;)

Tnic

Aw, sucks Pa, I was jes funnin.  :D :D :D

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 300
I'm likely to relocate to Kyiv shortly for personal reasons, and may change from a career in finance/audit, in 2 possible directions: (i) to try to re-train from scratch as a computer programmer;
The challenge is that you will be in competition with thousands of Ukrainians that are trying to do the same to get $$ instead of hrv. But they will be speaking Russian & Ukrainian...
My wife has seen some marketing/financial director going for junior training in QA/dev just to get in the IT field

Did anyone here ever study computer programming at one of the universities?  From speaking to a couple of people, I suspect that the course might be a bit old-fashioned / not cutting edge, and would take years, with no option for a one-year diploma or anything like that.  So that would only be an option if I wanted to spend years, and if I really wanted a degree-level qualification.
I honestly don't know of any places teaching IT in english. My wife used to teach on evenings in one of the private IT school but in Russian. From our friends that studied in KPI or the NAU they all get very good jobs in IT (but with some years of study and the need to speak Ukrainian)
Your best bet is probably to do one of those IT Bootcamp in Europe/US for a few weeks/months and then move to Kyiv (and keep training online, trying to pick up some freelance job...)

In my opinion, starting directly from Kyiv would be simply crazy (and I work in IT, my wife too, and a good percentage of our friends too, so I know very well the domain & market)

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
Mandarin is taught in Kyiv at a couple of the Universities, of course you should be fluent in Russian since the books are written in Russian (NOT UKRAINIAN) most are published in 1990 or before. None of the teachers are Chinese they are Ukrainians. My best friend is gonna finish her 2nd year in Mandarin this coming year and this is off to China for a full 4-year Chinese University not connected with any Ukrainian University program.

So....forget learning it here. I am doing it on my own through HSK.

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline Tiancai

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 82
There's probably a Confucius Institute in Kyiv offering Mandarin course, and you can get some sort of diploma (although taking the HSK and getting a certificate would be more useful). Although it would make more sense to study Chinese in China, and some universities might even have programming courses in English. But if price matters more than quality to you, then Ukraine will indeed probably be the cheaper option.

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
There's probably a Confucius Institute in Kyiv offering Mandarin course, and you can get some sort of diploma (although taking the HSK and getting a certificate would be more useful). Although it would make more sense to study Chinese in China, and some universities might even have programming courses in English. But if price matters more than quality to you, then Ukraine will indeed probably be the cheaper option.

KNLU is Confucius Institute registered
Kyiv National Linguistics University

Offline Brudder_A

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 48
Hi Guys

This might be a bit of a specific question, but if anyone has any relevant personal experience or useful contacts, that would be very helpful.

I'm likely to relocate to Kyiv shortly for personal reasons, and may change from a career in finance/audit, in 2 possible directions: (i) to try to re-train from scratch as a computer programmer; and (ii) to study Mandarin.  (As long as the course is taught in English or Russian, but not Ukrainian, that would be fine.)

If you want to study from a Russian source why are you not think of going straight to Russia?

Also re-train as a computer programmer?  Bwahahahahaha I've been in the industry 37+ years and I'm constantly retraining (and adapting) ...

Offline speibl

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 50

Also re-train as a computer programmer? 

This fits the constant detoration of quality of SW.
BTW: Counting my university courses in programming, I have about 10 yrs more :-)
Still coding, though. Keeps the brain fit.

Offline TrueFaux

• Subscriber
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0

If you want to study from a Russian source why are you not think of going straight to Russia?

[/quote]

Brudder A - I didn't say I wanted to study from a Russian source, I said that "As long as the course is taught in English or Russian, but not Ukrainian, that would be fine". 

And as I'm seeking specifically to relocate to Kyiv, I added "(Don't need any advice on alternative careers or locations, thanks - am interested specifically in the above areas, in Kyiv.)"

But anyway, thanks for the advice.