Author Topic: Angela Merkel Wins, but Implications for Ukraine  (Read 1300 times)

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
Angela Merkel's Party comes out best with about one third of votes.  But, they had 10% more last time.  Her Party is very much pro-Ukraine/anti-Russia, at least in comparison with the the Kremlin-based midget friendly Social democrats, who also lost 10%.   The story is that Germany's right got more votes, and the extreme right got into the legislature.   The extreme right is the Kremlin-based midget friendly and Russia financed. 
Merkel will coalition to keep her job.  And that coalition will be weaker.   But, the opposition is also fractured.   
The outcome is O.K. for Ukraine, assuming no surprises in forming a Government.   
The EU already extended sanctions and Merkel will not make noises about ending them, post election. 
http://www.dw.com/en/german-election-results-disappointing-victory-for-angela-merkel-as-cdu-sinks-nationalist-afd-surges/a-40666430

Offline Paulenko

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 29
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Re: Angela Merkel Wins, but Implications for Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: 11:46 25-Sep-2017 »
To be honest, I am surprised that Merkel has won a 4th term in office and by quite a big margin as well. She and her party are clearly very popular in Germany, certainly more popular than I thought. I would of thought her decision to let in all those refugees a couple of years ago with many of them not properly vetted, would of turned a lot of Germans against her. The problems the immigrants have caused in Germany since then have been numerous. But I guess her popularity among the German people has overridden that.

For Ukraine, it is clearly a positive event that Merkel has held on to power. Ukraine needs as many allies as possible right now.

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 210
  • -Receive: 336
« Reply #2 on: 21:01 25-Sep-2017 »
The numerous problems due to the immigrants do not exist... This is an enemy scenario created by the extreme right in order to present themselves as the savior.... nevertheless it is scary that after Germanys history, this rightwing party got 13% of the votes... and most of these dumbass 13% explained their voting with a wish to show protest against the ruling parties... yeah of course you vote for the Nazis as a sign of protest. these voters have left their brain at the wardrobe before they went to the ballots.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2474
  • -Receive: 1869
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 210
  • -Receive: 336
« Reply #4 on: 09:53 27-Sep-2017 »
The number of links or sources determines the credibility of the statement that Germany has a refugee problem? a refugees in my opinion can never be a problem. The problem is the war stricken places where human rights are abused and which makes people escape... the problem is not the people trying to escape. all the refugees and migrants were declared a problem mostly by right wing parties and populists who tried to invent someting in order to win votes. according to them the problem is all these illegal criminals and Muslim terrorists, which shatter europe. The solution is blocking the borders, throw all illegal  migrants out immediately and stick to the pure blood of our nation..... The Nazis tried to tell Germans the same by the way. That is a problem in my opinion....

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 10:04 27-Sep-2017 »
 :D  No the problem seems to be that they aren't very nice people that seem bent on causing problems.  :D :D
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Online David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1001
  • -Receive: 1317
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #6 on: 10:46 27-Sep-2017 »
In some EU countries, there is a sensibility that there is free speech, despite that if you say the wrong thing about refugees, or even share a link with others, such communication can be breaking the law, just like in Russia.  And many people will be afraid or embarassed to say why life has changed in the largest urban areas,  in terms of crime and the freedom women have to go out at night with a sense of safety.   

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 107
  • -Receive: 289
« Reply #7 on: 12:08 27-Sep-2017 »
:D  No the problem seems to be that they aren't very nice people that seem bent on causing problems.  :D :D
Like every single one of them ?
Germans must really be masochist to keep electing Merkel party after allowing a million migrant in a couple of years.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1880
  • -Receive: 1609
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #8 on: 16:07 27-Sep-2017 »
Germans must really be masochist to keep electing Merkel party after allowing a million migrant in a couple of years.

She has large breasts.   

The Romans had the legend of the Capitoline Wolf; it was the founding myth of the city of Rome, in the 8th century BC. 

I've had a similar fantasy for a while; where I am Romulus and Cindy Crawford is the She-Wolf.

Merkel has that effect on Europe:

You can tell a lot about someone, just by how they eat a hot dog.

🇺🇸   Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.  🇺🇸

Carlusha

« Reply #9 on: 16:21 27-Sep-2017 »

He from over the pond with small hands would have a problem here, methinks!  ::)

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 16:32 27-Sep-2017 »

I can't write anything to that without it going over the line ...  :D :D :D :D :D

Who said anything about using your hands?

;) :D :D :D :D

Carlusha

« Reply #11 on: 16:48 27-Sep-2017 »

No one Reggie! It was a simple case of insinuation by forum! Does that make sense?  ::) :-\

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: 16:56 27-Sep-2017 »

No one Reggie! It was a simple case of insinuation by forum! Does that make sense?  ::) :-\

Yes it does.

💋

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: 17:08 27-Sep-2017 »
julienp, No you're correct.. I was painting with a broad brush. I'm sure that some are good folks but it's usually the 'vocal minority' that gets attention. 

But Frank1010's statement ," The numerous problems due to the immigrants do not exist..." is very flawed by a simple look at the news.

Offline sosednik

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 106
  • -Receive: 286
  • Героям слава! Смерть ворогам!
« Reply #14 on: 21:58 28-Sep-2017 »
Every large population has a fraction who are morally depraved and commit criminal acts.

The majority of German voters are well aware of conditions in their country, and did not become hysterical about an exaggerated threat.  Perhaps they benefit from not listening to compulsive liars like Steve Bannon.

Perhaps the majority of Germans show a moral maturity lacking in other countries.  Maybe they understand that the reason to do good is not that it is easy, or safe, or cost-free ... but because it is the right thing to do.

@AkMike:

I typed "Trump is the Kremlin-based midget's puppet" into google, and got:

About 1,140,000 results (0.97 seconds)

Is a large number of google hits evidence?