Author Topic: How To Sell Used Cars in Ukaraine from USA?  (Read 3551 times)

Offline NavyPilotCommander

• Navy Pilot Commander, Retired
  • Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Retired Navy Commander
How To Sell Used Cars in Ukaraine from USA?
« on: 13:01 08-Oct-2017 »
Looking for Professional Advice on the current laws in Ukraine to import cars from USA for resale?  Will only be re-selling one brand, model, color, Clean Titled and Accident Free (CARFAX Certified) of all years manufactured.  Also need a reference to calculate import tax, VAT, registration and resale costs?  Any advice / direction for current information would be helpful.

Offline Packman

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 348
  • -Receive: 112
  • www.fabbers.com.ua
    • Fabbers Desktop Factories
Re: How To Sell Used Cars in Ukaraine from USA?
« Reply #1 on: 17:57 08-Oct-2017 »
Not really my area of expertise but the FTA with Canada has come into force so it might be more advantageous to import from Canada, as I understand the duties are reduced.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
« Reply #2 on: 19:21 08-Oct-2017 »
Only cars with a Euro5 smog rating are allowed to be imported. I think that is roughly a California rating also. Then there is the glass issue. Euro cars have laminated side and rear windows like US front windsields. Those may need to be exchanged.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Vitaliy50

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 49
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #3 on: 09:07 09-Oct-2017 »
It's not really feasible to import anything even with the FTA with Canada. As mentioned lots of modifications required such as speedo, headlights, etc. Then there is the customs fee which is huge. In many cases it is 1/2 the value or the whole value of the car.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1880
  • -Receive: 1612
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #4 on: 10:10 09-Oct-2017 »

I just think a lot of Ukrainians will be ahead of you in this work (importing cars); and they are already using the expat community of Ukrainians in the US or Canada (or wherever -- they won't be interested in sharing profits with you). 

Or, you can try partnering with the people in UA that are already doing this.   Not an attractive situation for various reasons, but hey, that's what the situation probably is. 

Just food for thought.
🇺🇸   Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.  🇺🇸

Offline Vitaliy50

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 49
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #5 on: 12:55 09-Oct-2017 »

I just think a lot of Ukrainians will be ahead of you in this work (importing cars); and they are already using the expat community of Ukrainians in the US or Canada (or wherever -- they won't be interested in sharing profits with you). 

Or, you can try partnering with the people in UA that are already doing this. Not an attractive situation for various reasons, but hey, that's what the situation probably is. 

Just food for thought.

Just to add on to what Reggie said. You can partner with someone, sure. But who wants others to step on their toes?

Make friends with the head of customs & police chiefs and perspective customers who'd trust you with their money.

If you can find a buyer, write up a contract and demand pre-payment, then nothing is stopping you from importing whatever you want. Just make sure you do your homework. Do you want to sell the car with a guarantee? Or as is? Do you do a full Ukrainian registration or sell the car on foreign / transit plates? Of course the latter means more headaches for the buyer and no one wants headaches.

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
« Reply #6 on: 04:33 10-Oct-2017 »
Let's not mention parts availability when things get broken on these roads. Most USA car parts came from Russia, which of course is NOT happening anymore.
« Last Edit: 08:54 10-Oct-2017 by Fraucha »

Offline Ron-n-Sveta

• Vip Lounge member
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 50
  • we live here
« Reply #7 on: 06:08 10-Oct-2017 »
there has been an update. the main thing they are looking for now is the lights being ukraine norm. I also was told even the smog test is being reduced. later i will try find the email from my lawyer about it

http://mtu.gov.ua/ documents/ 582.html
« Last Edit: 06:13 10-Oct-2017 by Ron-n-Sveta »

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
« Reply #8 on: 08:56 10-Oct-2017 »
there has been an update. the main thing they are looking for now is the lights being ukraine norm. I also was told even the smog test is being reduced. later i will try find the email from my lawyer about it

Ukraine norm? I have xenon lights in my auto, but on my goat cart I have a oil lanterns, which is ok --- Old tech or new?

Carlusha

« Reply #9 on: 10:05 10-Oct-2017 »

Ron, your link should be:

http://mtu.gov.ua/documents/582.html  (no spaces)

and translated

Translated document

Offline Ron-n-Sveta

• Vip Lounge member
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 50
  • we live here
« Reply #10 on: 18:42 10-Oct-2017 »
this was how the ukraine lawyer sent to me. sorry