Expatriate Life > Education - Children

Internet Radio interests and law issues involved for streaming songs.

(1/3) > >>

concur:
Hello!
I want to start Internet Radio stations in English and Russian language and I want to stream them from my house 24/7. I've created a PC based version and Android/iOS version as well.

There're others there who might be doing this but I don't care as I know I've something to offer which would be liked and accepted and I want to do this for no non-sense commercial breaks + listeners could download the program and listen to it when they're offline for some reason + the streams would be ultra light with good sound quality.

I've few questions to for which I want answer before making system live.

#1. Almost all songs library that I have is not by right means. I myself arranged all this collection from few friends and mostly would be downloaded and might have digital marks confirming the source of origin which I am remove but is there's any issue in streaming them on internet?
#2. Do I have to obtain a permission to do such thing?
#3. If I hit some success then I can push a video stream App for SMART TV for songs with video - this I've done for someone before (was done not for Ukraine) and no permission was taken and any problem was not reported. Now since I am doing this I want to know is there any separate permission needed for this also? because the songs/video are not my material that I created.

Anyone knowing answer or having suggestion/recommendation for above 3 questions please do write.

Regards!

Reggie:
<<Do I have to obtain a permission to do such thing?>>

There's copyright law. 

Radio airplay is considered a public performance. Public performances generate performance royalties for songwriters, which are collected by the PROs (ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC). In the US, terrestrial broadcasters (AM or FM stations) do not pay performers or sound recording copyright owners; they only pay the songwriters.

Will someone come after you in the current climate of digital sharing?  Don't know.

Piracy is common these days; even more common in the Slavic world.

concur:

--- Quote from: Reggie on 20:56 30-Jan-2018 ---<<Do I have to obtain a permission to do such thing?>>

There's copyright law. 

Radio airplay is considered a public performance. Public performances generate performance royalties for songwriters, which are collected by the PROs (ASCAP, BMI, or SESAC). In the US, terrestrial broadcasters (AM or FM stations) do not pay performers or sound recording copyright owners; they only pay the songwriters.

Will someone come after you in the current climate of digital sharing?  Don't know.

--- End quote ---

Do you know anything specific about Ukrainian law?

Will someone come after me... well the new ISP guys 2 weeks back came to make the switch in the same climate... so climate doesn't seems to be an issue  :)

Ted:

--- Quote from: concur on 21:17 30-Jan-2018 ---
--- Quote from: Reggie on 20:56 30-Jan-2018 ---<<Do I have to obtain a permission to do such thing?>>

There's copyright law. 

--- End quote ---

Will someone come after me... well the new ISP guys 2 weeks back came to make the switch in the same climate... so climate doesn't seems to be an issue  :)

--- End quote ---

Concur list time you looked into this, I did also, and I seem to remember something about it being OK to play the music without paying royalties because it was not broadcast over the air (as in: for actual radio wavelength frequencies....but with technology being as it is etc. I see a huge grey area here), and something about having to get a license from the Ukrainian government. Time to dig again it seems!

concur:

--- Quote from: Fraucha on 06:06 31-Jan-2018 ---
--- Quote from: concur on 21:17 30-Jan-2018 ---

There's copyright law. 

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Concur list time you looked into this, I did also, and I seem to remember something about it being OK to play the music without paying royalties because it was not broadcast over the air (as in: for actual radio wavelength frequencies....but with technology being as it is etc. I see a huge grey area here), and something about having to get a license from the Ukrainian government. Time to dig again it seems!

--- End quote ---

:) Good Morning! Yes, I was not able to find any credible information that shows for steaming audio what is needed. I found articles about few group of people that started it here in Ukraine and elsewhere. In their article they mentioned that they went live without license. I wrote to them but I never heard back. Yes it is Grey and people are doing it, I don't know with or without license.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version