Author Topic: Whats required for iphone?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 94
Whats required for iphone?
« on: 15:47 07-Feb-2018 »
I want to pick up an iphone 6 which I can get on ebay fairly cheap now.

Will all UNLOCKED iphones work in Ukraine?

3G 4G does that matter?

Thanks.

I cant imagine I could find a more competitive price in UA so I thought I would get it on Ebay and test it for a few weeks.

Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Tnic

Re: Whats required for iphone?
« Reply #1 on: 15:50 07-Feb-2018 »
If your prospective iphone accepts SIM cards you should be good to go.  Most cities have 4g/3g service these days.

Someone more geeky than me will need to chime about the signal types.  GSM, etc.

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
« Reply #2 on: 16:47 07-Feb-2018 »

3G 4G does that matter?

Thanks.

I cant imagine I could find a more competitive price in UA so I thought I would get it on Ebay and test it for a few weeks.

Unlocked means unlocked. Buy a SIMM here and there ya go. 3g is here BFD. Some places have 4g. Your phone will select the "G" depending on which company you purchase a SIMM from.

Offline concur

• An Ordinary Man.
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
  • Wear your ego like a loose fitting garment
« Reply #3 on: 17:54 07-Feb-2018 »

3G 4G does that matter?

Thanks.

iPhone 6 (6, 6s & 6s plus) supports 41 bands covering all GSM (3G + 4G)/UMTS (3G) frequencies that are generally used around the world (including Ukraine (Telecom operators)) for 3G/4G (LTE) spectrum. G also depend upon the coverage offered at your location ( and of course it depend on type of SIM). All Ukrainian telecom operator operates at same GSM/UMTS frequencies, for best result check 4G coverage in your area before buying a 4G SIM.
Please ignore typos.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
― Gautama Buddha

Online K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 147
« Reply #4 on: 13:00 08-Feb-2018 »
Who has 4G in Ukraine?  I thought the 4G frequencies were just auctioned off a few days ago to the operators for the first time and the earliest 4G is planned to appear in Ukraine in April or so.

Offline julienp

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 108
  • -Receive: 289
« Reply #5 on: 13:02 08-Feb-2018 »
Who has 4G in Ukraine?  I thought the 4G frequencies were just auctioned off a few days ago to the operators for the first time and the earliest 4G is planned to appear in Ukraine in April or so.
There is indeed no 4G yet in Ukraine. But I think it meant that you could also use your phone in more civilized countries where 4G exists

Offline concur

• An Ordinary Man.
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 14:15 08-Feb-2018 »
They're very close of getting live with 4th gen. Operators have tested their setup even for 4.5G (pre 5G/LTE-A) and now have to see when lightning hits (I don't even get a 2G signal as of now, all frozen it seems  :)).
« Last Edit: 14:20 08-Feb-2018 by concur »
Please ignore typos.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
― Gautama Buddha

Offline Sailor291

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #7 on: 14:37 08-Feb-2018 »

3G 4G does that matter?

Thanks.

Unlocked means unlocked. Buy a SIMM here and there ya go. 3g is here BFD. Some places have 4g. Your phone will select the "G" depending on which company you purchase a SIMM from.

Well, I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy 6.  It was originally on Verizon, I have a T Mobile sim card.  Living in the U.S. I can tell you unlocked does not mean completely unlocked.  It does most things but not all.  Most specifically, T Mobile has unlimited text and data in Europe, not for me.  I get nothing.  All because my phone is still trying to get data on Verizon while out of the country.  I have been told there is nothing i can do. 

Offline concur

• An Ordinary Man.
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 15:30 08-Feb-2018 »

Well, I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy 6.  It was originally on Verizon, I have a T Mobile sim card.  Living in the U.S. I can tell you unlocked does not mean completely unlocked.  It does most things but not all.  Most specifically, T Mobile has unlimited text and data in Europe, not for me.  I get nothing.  All because my phone is still trying to get data on Verizon while out of the country.  I have been told there is nothing i can do.

Check what LTE band Galaxy 6 supports (you can check phone box/manual or check using model serial#). Check with T-Mobile what LTE band they uses and make a setting change manually. It seems a LTE setting issues for free data that you mentioned. As of now Verizon doesn't lock both prepaid and postpaid 4th gen devices after activating it seems.

Anyways If had a good deal with eBay for iPhone 6, I would go for it because no matter what 4G will come in Ukraine and even if phone is locked it can be unlocked here too cheaply  :)

Good luck!
Please ignore typos.

― Gautama Buddha

Offline Eddie

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #9 on: 18:13 08-Feb-2018 »
Sailor291 - Well, I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy 6.  It was originally on Verizon, I have a T Mobile sim card.  Living in the U.S. I can tell you unlocked does not mean completely unlocked.  It does most things but not all.  Most specifically, T Mobile has unlimited text and data in Europe, not for me.  I get nothing.  All because my phone is still trying to get data on Verizon while out of the country.  I have been told there is nothing i can do.

Yes unlocked can mean many different things.  As far as an iphone goes, the only way to truly get an unlocked one is to buy from Apple direct.

We actually spend a month or so in Ukraine every year and have stayed with T-mobile specifically because of the unlimited free text and we have not even been charged for data either.  Won't work if you stay out of the states for more that a certain period (120 days or something), but is nice if you travel back and forth alot.

One other thing...with my Galaxy S7, I am able to download the transliterated google maps look under "offline maps" and they will work off gps when you are out of cell phone range down to every last bush trail that passes as a sorry excuse for a road in Ukraine.  This is the only thing I use to navigate on our travels in Ukraine.  It works very well even with no cell reception.  You can only download a certain geographic area, but is is pretty large 200 km x 300 km.  Not sure if the iphone will do that.
« Last Edit: 18:21 08-Feb-2018 by Tnic »

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 19:22 08-Feb-2018 »
Sailor291 - Well, I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy 6.  It was originally on Verizon, I have a T Mobile sim card.  Living in the U.S. I can tell you unlocked does not mean completely unlocked.  It does most things but not all.  Most specifically, T Mobile has unlimited text and data in Europe, not for me.  I get nothing.  All because my phone is still trying to get data on Verizon while out of the country.  I have been told there is nothing i can do.

Yes unlocked can mean many different things.  As far as an iphone goes, the only way to truly get an unlocked one is to buy from Apple direct.

We actually spend a month or so in Ukraine every year and have stayed with T-mobile specifically because of the unlimited free text and we have not even been charged for data either.  Won't work if you stay out of the states for more that a certain period (120 days or something), but is nice if you travel back and forth alot.

One other thing...with my Galaxy S7, I am able to download the transliterated google maps look under "offline maps" and they will work off gps when you are out of cell phone range down to every last bush trail that passes as a sorry excuse for a road in Ukraine.  This is the only thing I use to navigate on our travels in Ukraine.  It works very well even with no cell reception.  You can only download a certain geographic area, but is is pretty large 200 km x 300 km.  Not sure if the iphone will do that.

You can buy a fully COMPLETELY unlocked NEW iPhone here in Ukraine, not just from Apple. (trust me on this) The only thing you can't do is leave a voice mail like you do in the USA because carriers here, as far as I can tell, are not set up for that. You can still leave a voice message in VIBER or Messenger so really not a big deal. SIRI works here in any language, Maps works here as well as Navitel, Skype, WeChat, Telegram, etc. I have a iPhone 6s+ 128g, that I bought here and it was genuine Apple. I use iTunes out of the USA so I have direct access to everything everyone in the USA has.  My daughter just bought a X and a series 3 iWatch.

SIMM Sellers here will make micro simms for free here. I recharge my Lifecel here off my PrivatBank account. I never ever run out of time for anything.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 23:45 12-Feb-2018 »

You can buy a fully COMPLETELY unlocked NEW iPhone here in Ukraine, not just from Apple. (trust me on this) The only thing you can't do is leave a voice mail like you do in the USA because carriers here, as far as I can tell, are not set up for that. You can still leave a voice message in VIBER or Messenger so really not a big deal. SIRI works here in any language, Maps works here as well as Navitel, Skype, WeChat, Telegram, etc. I have a iPhone 6s+ 128g, that I bought here and it was genuine Apple. I use iTunes out of the USA so I have direct access to everything everyone in the USA has.  My daughter just bought a X and a series 3 iWatch.

SIMM Sellers here will make micro simms for free here. I recharge my Lifecel here off my PrivatBank account. I never ever run out of time for anything.

How are apple computers and phones priced there compared to US market?  I thought about getting an apple laptop but if the prices are not much different, maybe I wait and buy it there.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: 04:23 13-Feb-2018 »
Does anyone have expereience with using a non-apple phone with an apple computer?

Is there anything that is more difficult to do as far as up loading photos/ video or interacting with Itunes?

I am wondering if maybe I should just get another brand phone.

To behonest, I have never bought a cell phone, it seems family members always upgrade and have given me their last model. But in Ukraine I will need one with a Sim card so my existing one wont work, hense the need to get another.
My computers are MAC and I dont want a conflict between operating systems.

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: 04:45 13-Feb-2018 »
Apple computers seem to be priced at Apple value plus shipping and customs.  Check out iStore, which has the best prices https://www.istore.ua/   anyplace else in Ukraine is either a larger chain store with higher overhead or completely jacks the price up.
Compare the prices at Apple's Store.

Any phone works here as long as you can change the sim card, you can buy sim cards for any of the national phone services here for next to nothing. Phone access here is cheap.  Buying an iPhone here or the USA ain't gonna kill ya, but the iPhones I buy here work fine, and an extra plus is if you already have an Apple I.D. at iTunes, you will have access to the full iTunes store in the USA and no problem.

My advice: buy this here at iStore and you are golden (128gb because you will need the memory...trust me)  https://www.istore.ua/catalog/item/apple-iphone-7-plus-128-gb-silver-iphone_7pl_128_silv/
Go withe the big screen because we are fu ck ing old. Screw that little tiny phone made for the Kremlin-based midget sized dwarves.

Go to LIFE or Kyivstar, etc. buy a sim with a phone number (I paid 45UAH) , add a couple hundred UAH of time on it and DO NOT SIGN UP for anyone's "special monthly package". Bam that's your phone number (+380) XXXXXXXXX. Done.

Plug it into your Apple computer register it yada yada yada and you are done in 10 minutes. Easy Peasy.
You will receive iOS updates like you are supposed to without any problems. Thank you for your patronage as your Apple purchase funds my retirement.

It's Apple, nothing can be more butt simple when it comes to it.

For you Apple haters out there....fu c k off.

Carlusha

« Reply #14 on: 09:30 15-Feb-2018 »

Any phone works here as long as you can change the sim card, you can buy sim cards for any of the national phone services here for next to nothing.

You also need to ensure the phone is unlocked and therefore able to accept the UA SIM. Perhaps that is what Fraucha is saying above.