Author Topic: Whats required for iphone?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 94
Re: Whats required for iphone?
« Reply #15 on: 16:01 19-Feb-2018 »
Apple computers seem to be priced at Apple value plus shipping and customs.  Check out iStore, which has the best prices https://www.istore.ua/   anyplace else in Ukraine is either a larger chain store with higher overhead or completely jacks the price up.
Compare the prices at Apple's Store.

Any phone works here as long as you can change the sim card, you can buy sim cards for any of the national phone services here for next to nothing. Phone access here is cheap.  Buying an iPhone here or the USA ain't gonna kill ya, but the iPhones I buy here work fine, and an extra plus is if you already have an Apple I.D. at iTunes, you will have access to the full iTunes store in the USA and no problem.

My advice: buy this here at iStore and you are golden (128gb because you will need the memory...trust me)  https://www.istore.ua/catalog/item/apple-iphone-7-plus-128-gb-silver-iphone_7pl_128_silv/
Go withe the big screen because we are fu ck ing old. Screw that little tiny phone made for the Kremlin-based midget sized dwarves.

Go to LIFE or Kyivstar, etc. buy a sim with a phone number (I paid 45UAH) , add a couple hundred UAH of time on it and DO NOT SIGN UP for anyone's "special monthly package". Bam that's your phone number (+380) XXXXXXXXX. Done.

Plug it into your Apple computer register it yada yada yada and you are done in 10 minutes. Easy Peasy.
You will receive iOS updates like you are supposed to without any problems. Thank you for your patronage as your Apple purchase funds my retirement.

It's Apple, nothing can be more butt simple when it comes to it.

For you Apple haters out there....fu c k off.

Thanks for your detailed info.
How about my question of :  Iphones interacting with windows based computers and vis-versa. If I were to buy a non apple phone and plugged it into a Windows computer, do photos/ videos upload just as easily as it would on a mac?

One of the problems I have had with cam-corders is the videos are in a different format and do not interact with Imovie without being converted first through a program. Can be quite a drag if many short clips are to be uploaded.
Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
« Reply #16 on: 17:20 19-Feb-2018 »
Apple computers seem to be priced at Apple value plus shipping and customs.  Check out iStore, which has the best prices https://www.istore.ua/   anyplace else in Ukraine is either a larger chain store with higher overhead or completely jacks the price up.

Any phone works here as long as you can change the sim card, you can buy sim cards for any of the national phone services here for next to nothing. Phone access here is cheap.  Buying an iPhone here or the USA ain't gonna kill ya, but the iPhones I buy here work fine, and an extra plus is if you already have an Apple I.D. at iTunes, you will have access to the full iTunes store in the USA and no problem.

My advice: buy this here at iStore and you are golden (128gb because you will need the memory...trust me)  https://www.istore.ua/catalog/item/apple-iphone-7-plus-128-gb-silver-iphone_7pl_128_silv/
Go withe the big screen because we are fu ck ing old. Screw that little tiny phone made for the Kremlin-based midget sized dwarves.

Go to LIFE or Kyivstar, etc. buy a sim with a phone number (I paid 45UAH) , add a couple hundred UAH of time on it and DO NOT SIGN UP for anyone's "special monthly package". Bam that's your phone number (+380) XXXXXXXXX. Done.

Plug it into your Apple computer register it yada yada yada and you are done in 10 minutes. Easy Peasy.
You will receive iOS updates like you are supposed to without any problems. Thank you for your patronage as your Apple purchase funds my retirement.

How about my question of :  Iphones interacting with windows based computers and vis-versa. If I were to buy a non apple phone and plugged it into a Windows computer, do photos/ videos upload just as easily as it would on a mac?

One of the problems I have had with cam-corders is the videos are in a different format and do not interact with Imovie without being converted first through a program. Can be quite a drag if many short clips are to be uploaded.

My son has an iPhone and uses it with iTunes on his PC. No problems.

Non Apple iPhones into Windows computers....that's for the unwashed to answer.

Carlusha

« Reply #17 on: 22:44 19-Feb-2018 »

My son has an iPhone and uses it with iTunes on his PC. No problems.

Non Apple iPhones into Windows computers....that's for the unwashed to answer.

Agreed. We prefer Windows PCs and laptops and can confirm set-up, backup, saving photos etc is butt simple through iTunes for both iPhones and iPads.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: 17:14 21-Feb-2018 »
Itunes can handles photos and videos too?

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: 17:19 21-Feb-2018 »

Thanks to this link I can see the price is not much different than Best buy, so no pressure to bring one with me.

I used to run a few Youtube channels which was a hobby and a little revenue, I might resume doing that which is why I am trying to think ahead and bring what I cant get there.

Carlusha

« Reply #20 on: 22:55 21-Feb-2018 »
Itunes can handles photos and videos too?

Yes to both.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: 20:24 31-Mar-2018 »
This is from a listing on Ebay detailing what will work with what carrier.

I am on verizon now, if I get one that is an unlocked verizon model will it work in Ukraine?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhone-6-GSM-Unlocked-AT-T-T-Mobile-Verizon-16GB-32GB-64GB-128GB-Smartphon/282893005212?epid=203704539&hash=item41ddbcb19c:m:mHH6EcJbqxXr3zLmnEO4D9g:sc:UPSGround!28104!US!-1

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: 20:43 31-Mar-2018 »

I am on verizon now, if I get one that is an unlocked verizon model will it work in Ukraine?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhone-6-GSM-Unlocked-AT-T-T-Mobile-Verizon-16GB-32GB-64GB-128GB-Smartphon/282893005212?epid=203704539&hash=item41ddbcb19c:m:mHH6EcJbqxXr3zLmnEO4D9g:sc:UPSGround!28104!US!-1

I dunno, it was easier to just buy the iPhone in Ukraine from iStore in Kyiv.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: 01:20 01-Apr-2018 »

Not sure I can get one in keiv for 200?

Tnic

« Reply #24 on: 04:09 01-Apr-2018 »
IIRC (and I could be wrong) the mobiles here operate on GSM.  So, just about any (unlocked) mobile that uses a SIM card will work here.

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-difference-between-gsm-and-cdma.htm

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: 05:28 01-Apr-2018 »

$200. don't be foolish. We don't have those Fraked up plans in Ukraine like the USA......>>Look, here you buy an official Apple Unlocked iPhone for full retail, or you buy a used one of dubious battery life. There really is NO WORK AROUND for such a simple deal.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: 17:47 01-Apr-2018 »

$200. don't be foolish. We don't have those Fraked up plans in Ukraine like the USA......>>Look, here you buy an official Apple Unlocked iPhone for full retail, or you buy a used one of dubious battery life. There really is NO WORK AROUND for such a simple deal.

There was no consideration of buying a phone through a US carrier plan.  Since phones seem to become obsolete before they fail, I would be a used phone off Ebay (to bring to Ukraine (200.)  Any used product comes with a risk but they have a 30 (or longer) warranty which should detect any battery problem etc.

If the phones carrier (Verizon or Sprint) would both work in Ua as long as it was unlocked, I would get the verizon version since I am now on that plan and it would allow me to test the newly bought phone.

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1030
  • -Receive: 1340
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #27 on: 19:02 01-Apr-2018 »
I always buy phones off ebay as do some of the others on the board.  An iPhone 6+ is probably about $200 that way.  But, in Ukraine people use expensive phones up more, so it is certainly understandable that there will be an expectation that a used phone is a dubious deal, in UA.
I have bought probably ten used iPhones on ebay in the U.S. over the years.  I think all of them have been good, if sometimes of dubious origins.

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: 04:44 02-Apr-2018 »
If you are going to buy a $200 phone of of ebay in the USA then what is the problem? Is it UNLOCKED? Then yeah, it WILL work here. Obsessing over the phone even before you get here is not worth your headache, you are going to have more important things to worry about.

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1030
  • -Receive: 1340
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #29 on: 04:48 02-Apr-2018 »
And don't forget to bring a duck-head!