Author Topic: LVIV, info meeting for expats 22 Febr 2019  (Read 297 times)

Offline BobLviv

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 173
  • -Receive: 139
  • Feel free to contact me about anything interesting
LVIV, info meeting for expats 22 Febr 2019
« on: 10:49 10-Feb-2018 »
Info meeting for expats in Lviv and surroundings:
All info @ http://dk.ua/10-faqs-for-foreigners-living-in-ukraine/

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1880
  • -Receive: 1612
  • 100% Against jellied eels
Re: LVIV, info meeting for expats 22 Febr 2019
« Reply #1 on: 11:38 10-Feb-2018 »

* Bob, I don't know your personal involvement in the event, so I don't want to hurt your feelings, and don't intend to offend you.  Maybe you are just posting an event; I hope so.

It would be useful if the organizers of the event answered the following questions.  First their advertisement; then the questions:

Legal Company DK-PRAVO, Nexia DK invites you to take part in the English-speaking event for foreigners residing in Ukraine:
10 FAQs for foreigners living in Ukraine: Do you know that ??

Do you know that we are the co-authors of the main law for foreigners?
Do you know that Migration Service of Ukraine is reorganized?
Do you know that foreigners are allowed to stay more than 90 days?
Do you know about benefits of taxation for foreigners?
Do you know new rules of crossing the state border of Ukraine?

Payment UAH 500. For early birds ? UAH 400.

-- What law did these people co-author? 

The "main law"?  Are they serious?  A professional and competent law firm would detail the law (especially if they wrote it and it is something they are proud of). 

Secondly, if they are asking people to attend an event on this subject, maybe they should  provide a bit of information so the audience can formulate a few intelligent questions and to determine if it is something they would be interested in.   

-- "Do you know the benefits of taxation for foreigners"? 

Yes, I do.  There are none. Foreigners get benefits in Ukraine for paying taxes?   Or did they mean the benefits of tax avoidance in Ukraine?  I'll concede that government officials here are experts at the latter.  Let's not make a joke of it any more than is required. So, a law office wants to sell their tax services at a cocktail party.   

First, Ukraine will have to be honest, competitive, and lawful environment for business; then (maybe) after years of rehabilitating its reputation, there may be tax issues to discuss.   The events that enter into my mind are scenarios like the Danish company that had its building seized in Odessa and the French Winemaker who subjected to terrorist threats and abuse in an effort to take over his business. 

-- "Do you know new rules of crossing the state border of Ukraine?" 

If I had to guess, they are probably the same as the old rules:  Drug dealers, sex workers and cross-border gypsies enter Ukraine for free; Educated Western expats with talent and know-how to offer Ukraine's progress pay fines, avoid cops looking for bribes at the airport, and are forced to play time-consuming bureaucratic games to stay or work in Ukraine.

I'm sorry, but this is a sad description of what can only be, at best, a wine-&-cheese schmoozing event, and at worst, a 3 hour advertisement for a law firm.  I don't live in Lviv, but if I did, I wouldn't waste my valuable time or 500 UAH to listen to a rambling advertisement for a law firm that can't even formulate an acceptable description of the event or topics.

They should come here and discuss the event.

🇺🇸   Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.  🇺🇸

Offline BobLviv

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 173
  • -Receive: 139
  • Feel free to contact me about anything interesting
« Reply #2 on: 13:03 10-Feb-2018 »

* Bob, I don't know your personal involvement in the event, so I don't want to hurt your feelings, and don't intend to offend you.  Maybe you are just posting an event; I hope so.

Fair question, especially seen in relation to the rest of the comments. The answer: I have no relations with them and I am just (re)posting the invitation I got.

I visited a similar event about 2 years ago, as a newcomer here, and I felt pleased with the provided info at that time. Hence, why not share this one and allow those who might be interested to know about it ;)

It would be useful if the organizers of the event answered the following questions.  First their advertisement; then the questions:

-- What law did these people co-author? 

The "main law"?  Are they serious?  A professional and competent law firm would detail the law (especially if they wrote it and it is something they are proud of). 

What I remember of earlier advertisement by them through social media, they at that time claimed to have been collaborating on a certain law about foreigners or what ever it was. If I remember well, they made particular suggestions on additions/changes. In the end they were quite happy that their apparent involvement had been rewarded by adoption of (part of) the proposals.

For the rest of your comments I can but honestly say that indeed I had some queries myself on the way it looks like it has been set up and advertised.

For me, my consideration to possibly meet up with them again then and there is apart of a good glass of wine the fact that it might be interesting to hear some general information from the invited (expert) speakers. Maybe even to get to know them in person by meeting them. For what it is worth.

Finally, yes, it is without doubt a commercial event advertising a law firm established in both Lviv and Kiev.

P.S. Of course there are several ways of getting information for that huge amount of issues that one may be confronted with while one is getting around here as a newcomer. One may approach a real law firm or consultancy firm, or may be happy to bump onto a forum like ours here ;) 

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1880
  • -Receive: 1612
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #3 on: 13:21 10-Feb-2018 »
I have no relations with them and I am just (re)posting the invitation I got.

Fair play Bob.  No worries.  You are good dude in my books. 
I get it that you are just reposting the invite. 
Have a great weekend!   :)
🇺🇸   Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.  🇺🇸