Author Topic: Safety & Tasers in Ukraine?  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Ukie94

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Safety & Tasers in Ukraine?
« on: 02:08 13-Feb-2018 »
Hello!
I'm planning to move back home to Ukraine for a few months. My hometown is in western Ukraine (Chernivtsi oblast) and I've been getting mixed messages about safety. Just how safe is it over there? I ask this because I'm a 5'5, 20-something female who doesn't know any self-defense (yet lol).
I was considering buying a taser but I'm not sure what's a normal price range and which website(s) are good.
Thanks in advance for any help :)

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 94
Re: Safety & Tasers in Ukraine?
« Reply #1 on: 04:39 13-Feb-2018 »
Yeah, thats actually a grerat question.

Keep in mind, you must have the mindset to use an instrument of defense.
Even people that are armed with a gun can be hessitant to take action with it until it is too late and the person has sprung on you. You know how it goes, someone approaces you and you are not certain what his intent is, so you are hesitant to pull out your tazer and over react.   Tazers are a close distance tool so their limit is use in very close situation.

I have never felt unsafe anywhere in Urkaine, if you are from Ukraine, I dont see why you would suddenly need a TAZER.  But go on Youtube and watch some vids and learn more about them.
Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
« Reply #2 on: 04:49 13-Feb-2018 »
Women:  A fast hard punch to the Adams Apple of any male will totally disable him or kill him in one punch.
Walk away as he chokes on his own blood.

End of self defense class.

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 210
  • -Receive: 337
« Reply #3 on: 06:39 13-Feb-2018 »
Every tool of self defense hss its pros and cons, strengths and  weaknesses. If you have  or want such a thing you should  be mentally prepared to  use it. Next is the question of legality... In many countries it is not allowed to carry a taser or even pepper spray.  Anyway if you feel unsafe a course in self defense would be  highly  recommended rather than  buying tools that  can  easily be used against you.

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
« Reply #4 on: 08:13 13-Feb-2018 »
There is a large maglite type flashlight that you can buy online here. It's a good heavy club and flashlight and with a switch can discharge 50k volts. They shipped by Nova Poshta. It's a bit big for a purse, however. As the other gentlemen have noted, a weapon isn't any good without knowledge and a willingness to use it. Crime is high now but there's also a lot you can do to avoid it. The only thing that is likely to happen is your purse being snatched and your tazer will be gone then.

Listen to Fraucha, if you are threatened, disable them with extreme prejudice. As a petite woman, your best option is to be vicious with your fingernails and go for eyes, testicles, throat, etc.

Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline Ukie94

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 08:20 13-Feb-2018 »
Yeah, thats actually a grerat question.

Keep in mind, you must have the mindset to use an instrument of defense.
Even people that are armed with a gun can be hessitant to take action with it until it is too late and the person has sprung on you. You know how it goes, someone approaces you and you are not certain what his intent is, so you are hesitant to pull out your tazer and over react.   Tazers are a close distance tool so their limit is use in very close situation.

I have never felt unsafe anywhere in Urkaine, if you are from Ukraine, I dont see why you would suddenly need a TAZER.  But go on Youtube and watch some vids and learn more about them.

Thanks for the answer :)
You're right - I was born in Ukraine and lived there for the first few years of my childhood before moving to the US. I've never really ""lived"" there (i.e. my teenage and young adult years were spent in the States) so I'm not quite sure how to handle these kinds of situations (gopniks, if someone tries to rob me, etc).

Women:  A fast hard punch to the Adams Apple of any male will totally disable him or kill him in one punch.
Walk away as he chokes on his own blood.

End of self defense class.
Thank you, I'll prepare my knuckles for combat :P

Every tool of self defense hss its pros and cons, strengths and  weaknesses. If you have  or want such a thing you should  be mentally prepared to  use it. Next is the question of legality... In many countries it is not allowed to carry a taser or even pepper spray.  Anyway if you feel unsafe a course in self defense would be  highly  recommended rather than  buying tools that  can  easily be used against you.
I'll try this suggestion as well... I was browsing this forum and there were a few threads about tasers, but they were a few years old and I wasn't sure if the laws still apply. Looks like tasers are legal, but I could be wrong.

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 09:06 13-Feb-2018 »
Most likely the only crime you will ever be exposed to is pickpocketing. And, with due respect, statistically you are more likely to be hit by a bullet in the US than being robbed in Ukraine....

Offline David Rochlin

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1026
  • -Receive: 1337
  • Statue of the Motherland
« Reply #7 on: 09:14 13-Feb-2018 »
The riskiest thing you can do to invite robbery is to get on a bus.  Usually thieves don't become a violent threat until the victim resists or asks for her stuff back .

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 10:07 13-Feb-2018 »
Most likely the only crime you will ever be exposed to is pickpocketing. And, with due respect, statistically you are more likely to be hit by a bullet in the US than being robbed in Ukraine....

I was robbed in Ukraine 3 times, shot in the USA ZERO. Your statement is bullpoop.

Offline EnglishMKyiv

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 284
« Reply #9 on: 10:24 13-Feb-2018 »

I was mugged 5 times in London over a period of 9 years including a knife wielding assailant which the police were not interested in investigating  even though I had the attacker's blood all over my jacket.

I have lived in Ukraine for 11 years and never been attacked, in fact I have never once felt unsafe or found myself in a dangerous situation, to me Kyiv is far more safer then London.

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting.

Tnic

« Reply #10 on: 11:36 13-Feb-2018 »
Everyone's covered all the bases. 

I would only add that your best defense (other than an overwhelming offense) is to avoid areas and situations where trouble might find you.

Offline Ukie94

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 08:04 15-Feb-2018 »
Thank you so much, everyone!! I really appreciate your tips and advice 😊

Offline frank1010

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: 07:12 16-Feb-2018 »

I was robbed in Ukraine 3 times, shot in the USA ZERO. Your statement is bullpoop.

How about those 17 killed in Florida recently? How about the victims of the Las Vegas shooting (http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-41504887/las-vegas-shooting-how-to-treat-hundreds-of-gunshot-victims)? How about the thousands of gunshot victims in the US every year? All bullpoop?

Online K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 147
« Reply #13 on: 08:45 16-Feb-2018 »
Fraucha, where/how/when were you robbed?  Just trying to learn from your unfortunate experience

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: 08:59 16-Feb-2018 »
Fraucha, where/how/when were you robbed?  Just trying to learn from your unfortunate experience

Once in a restaurant, and twice on the Metro...pick-pockets.
All about 2-3 years ago in Kyiv. But make no mistake, Kyiv is no worse than any other large city around the world where criminals operate.