Author Topic: Safety & Tasers in Ukraine?  (Read 1010 times)

Online youngken

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 30
Re: Safety & Tasers in Ukraine?
« Reply #15 on: 12:33 21-Feb-2018 »
Such kind of gun is good to rob other people. It has happened in my place :D
If it is so easy to buy in a country, this country could be a dangerous place :'(
What happen if the "victim" fall down and hit some object causing serious injury or killed? Will the user be sued as well?

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1880
  • -Receive: 1612
  • 100% Against jellied eels
« Reply #16 on: 17:07 21-Feb-2018 »
What happen if the "victim" fall down and hit some object causing serious injury or killed? Will the user be sued as well?

Ukraine apparently has bad self defense laws.
Someone told me a while back that even if an intruder is in your house here, they might hold you responsible.  And that's before getting to the question of gun ownership. 
🇺🇸   Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.  🇺🇸

Tnic

« Reply #17 on: 19:32 21-Feb-2018 »

Ukraine apparently has bad self defense laws.
Someone told me a while back that even if an intruder is in your house here, they might hold you responsible.  And that's before getting to the question of gun ownership.

Funny.  Back in Krivoy Rog our upstairs neighbors got a middle of the night visit from me after one too many loud parties above our bedroom.  I insisted the cops got called and when they came to check it out (two days later on a weekday), the wife told them how close I was to cold cocking them (in THEIR flat).  The reply, "why didn't he?  That's the only thing they understand."  I call that a green light.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: 21:08 21-Feb-2018 »
Funny.  Back in Krivoy Rog our upstairs neighbors got a middle of the night visit from me after one too many loud parties above our bedroom.  I insisted the cops got called and when they came to check it out (two days later on a weekday), the wife told them how close I was to cold cocking them (in THEIR flat).  The reply, "why didn't he?  That's the only thing they understand."  I call that a green light.

I'm actually glad you told that story. 
It's the same type of behavior as when they almost ran over Kyivpic's child.
I've seen this type of thing here too many time to ignore.   
Unfortunately, and regrettably, (not trying to sound macho in the slightest), but the only thing a lot of people here understand is force or the threat of force.  And they will test you, to see if you will get in their grill and make them back down when they're doing something that is unlawful.

Tnic

« Reply #19 on: 05:39 22-Feb-2018 »

I'm actually glad you told that story. 
It's the same type of behavior as when they almost ran over Kyivpic's child.
I've seen this type of thing here too many time to ignore.   
Unfortunately, and regrettably, (not trying to sound macho in the slightest), but the only thing a lot of people here understand is force or the threat of force.  And they will test you, to see if you will get in their grill and make them back down when they're doing something that is unlawful.

Funny you should mention "get in their grill".  I had to do just that with a surly Lviv taxi driver one night in the street.  Big dude too.  And I do mean IN his grill (as in an inch off his nose) and loudly asking if he wanted some shyt.  He ended up pulling a club out from under his seat and I charged right in again.  He backed down and left.

Another reason I don't like it here.  Makes me too aggressive.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: 10:03 22-Feb-2018 »

Funny you should mention "get in their grill".  I had to do just that with a surly Lviv taxi driver one night in the street.  Big dude too.  And I do mean IN his grill (as in an inch off his nose) and loudly asking if he wanted some shyt.  He ended up pulling a club out from under his seat and I charged right in again.  He backed down and left.

Another reason I don't like it here.  Makes me too aggressive.

In public I usually try to avoid conflict, unless it's a matter of life and limb.
At the house, it's a zero tolerance policy because I know if I let one idiot through the gate without permission, tomorrow there will be 2.   

Even when I drive, I pretend all cars around me are radioactive and try to keep them as far away as possible.   

There is just too much of a culture of lawlessness here.   You can tell which ones will act this way; it's the same people that don't wait their turns in banks; or cut in front of you when you are at the register and trying to pay at a store.

One day, while driving, some pedestrians looked at me in a really surprised way:  I asked my wife, 'Why do they look so surprised?'  She said 'because they're not used to a car stopping and letting pedestrians cross.'  They just stopped and looked for 15-20 seconds at the crossing - shocked someone was going to stop safely and let them get across at the proper crossing point. 

Tnic

« Reply #21 on: 13:47 22-Feb-2018 »
I forgot to mention the taxi incident was at 1 or 2 in the morning.  He was pretty surprised when I didn't back down (did I mention he was a big dude?), but he put on a good show and I really didn't give a shyt at that point after he was so rude to my wife.  I was also sober, btw.

Carlusha

« Reply #22 on: 14:26 22-Feb-2018 »

One day, while driving, some pedestrians looked at me in a really surprised way:  I asked my wife, 'Why do they look so surprised?'  She said 'because they're not used to a car stopping and letting pedestrians cross.'  They just stopped and looked for 15-20 seconds at the crossing - shocked someone was going to stop safely and let them get across at the proper crossing point.

Let us turn that one round. I do not drive in Ukraine. I therefore have to make regular use of the crossings. Should anyone stop, I mouth ?Spasibo? and accompany that with pretend doffing of my invisible hat. That elicits similar surprise but by the motorist.

Tnic

« Reply #23 on: 16:15 22-Feb-2018 »

Let us turn that one round. I do not drive in Ukraine. I therefore have to make regular use of the crossings. Should anyone stop, I mouth ?Spasibo? and accompany that with pretend doffing of my invisible hat. That elicits similar surprise but by the motorist.

Folks are actually pretty good about stopping here in K-torsk, but I usually give em spasibo and wave, just the same.

Had one impatient dude (turning right while we were crossing on the green) honk because he thought we were too slow.  I stopped and faced him and gave him a big ole HOWDY and smiled & waved (with all 5 fingers, mind you) then took my sweet time getting clear of him.  Several other pedestrians laughed, him not so much.   :D

Online youngken

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 30
« Reply #24 on: 16:32 22-Feb-2018 »
At the house, it's a zero tolerance policy because I know if I let one idiot through the gate without permission, tomorrow there will be 2.   

A few years ago when I was in Lviv, I rented a tiny semi-detached house with a grape tree inside. In Spring some men came to this tree to take blooming flower and gave to their lovers. In Autumn some kids and teens came to take the graph. I even gave the ladder and hold it for them to take. They were so easy to get satisfied and returned with nice smile :P

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: 20:49 22-Feb-2018 »
A few years ago when I was in Lviv, I rented a tiny semi-detached house with a grape tree inside. In Spring some men came to this tree to take blooming flower and gave to their lovers. In Autumn some kids and teens came to take the graph. I even gave the ladder and hold it for them to take. They were so easy to get satisfied and returned with nice smile :P

That's a nice story Ken.  I have no problem with kids or young lovers taking flowers from a tree.

I'm talking about bad guys that dump 1000 lbs of trash in your front yard and light it on fire 1 meter from the house when you are not home, or people that come into the parking area and break car windows to steal what they can at night.

Young lovers and kids can pick flowers.  No problem.