Author Topic: Transliterating English name to Ukrainian in terms of officiality  (Read 361 times)

Offline discovery911

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
So, I want to ask this question: my first name is John. Is it okay if I use "Ян" on official documents, such as a passport? Or should an equivalent of the name, such as "Іван"? Or shall I simply use the phonetic transliteration "Джон"? I would prefer to use Ян if at all possible.

On my birth certificate, my middle is Joseph, but my middle name is based off my father's name. So, if I was to fill in a patronymic, should it be "Йосифович/Йосипович", or simply Йосиф/Йосип?

Thank you.

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
So, I want to ask this question: my first name is John. Is it okay if I use "Ян" on official documents, such as a passport? Or should an equivalent of the name, such as "Іван"? Or shall I simply use the phonetic transliteration "Джон"? I would prefer to use Ян if at all possible.

On my birth certificate, my middle is Joseph, but my middle name is based off my father's name. So, if I was to fill in a patronymic, should it be "Йосифович/Йосипович", or simply Йосиф/Йосип?

Thank you.

You will use Джон. This is the accepted for John. As a John myself I went through this years ago. All Docs if you went to OVIR as an example, will write it so. Джон -- is NOT an transliteration.  Ян -- would be Yan.

Your passport will be in your native tongue, what idiot told you to change it on a passport? your passport from your home country is your OFFICIAL document around the world. DO NOT fu ck around with changing names. When and if you are issued PR here it will be in Ukrainian and the name will be Джон only there.

Do not fill in a patronymic. If you come from a country that does not use it then why would you alter your actual name? Which is John Joseph Doe?
Most official places will ask for your patronymic and you will have to tell them that you DO NOT have one and go by simply John Joseph, but by John Doe.
It makes them crazy, but nothing is more crazy for you than to have your last name used as an afterthought. My bank calls me John Frederick, thinking that Frederick is my patronymic, I hate it...my father's name was Rudolph which would make me John Frederick Rudolphovich XXXXXXXX??  When they call John Frederick, I never answer, I make them say John XXXXXXX.

Fu ck that. Take the Джон and insist on Джон J. Doe. Lucky for you though your middle name is the same as your dad's, but don't let anyone take away your last name. Unless it really is Doe, then you are really a John Doe and that kinda sucks.... :-)

Yeah Джон sounds like the mustard, and John is a toilet --- we are screwed either way.

« Last Edit: 11:00 08-Mar-2018 by Fraucha »

Offline Ron-n-Sveta

• Vip Lounge member
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 50
  • we live here
just a kindly reminder John and John. on prp and all my ukraine government legal documents my name is in both english and ukrainian.
prp
drivers permit
captains permit
registrations
banking papers ect..

Offline Ted

• I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3146
  • -Receive: 4876
just a kindly reminder John and John. on prp and all my ukraine government legal documents my name is in both english and ukrainian.
prp
drivers permit
captains permit
registrations
banking papers ect..

That's because your name is RON.
DUH!!!

Johns are more specialer and stuff.

Offline Reggie

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1880
  • -Receive: 1612
  • 100% Against jellied eels

Try "Reginald" in Ukrainian - looks like a solar powered calculator exploded: %Д!Ян$#@*&

« Last Edit: 10:30 08-Mar-2018 by Reggie »
🇺🇸   Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.  🇺🇸

Tnic

Try "Reginald" in Ukrainian - looks like a solar powered calculator exploded: %Д!Ян$#@*&

:D :D :D