Author Topic: How to attain command in speaking Russian?  (Read 1045 times)

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
Re: How to attain command in speaking Russian?
« Reply #15 on: 13:50 03-Feb-2018 »
*pronounce

Maybe you should concentrate on English.

I'm sorry for giving you a hard time but I think if you want to learn some Ukrainian, it's a good idea to be polite as an expat but Frak the Russian language. I refuse to utter it. It's filthy. It's one of the world's most repugnant cultures and language is culture so why learn the language of vodka, backwardness, thievery. larceny and murder because that's all Russian history and culture is. Their language should not be propagated, IMO.

You could have politely ignored the typo that I corrected & should have not thought extensively about the word that you wrote and back fired & raised smoke somewhere... as far as giving me a hard time, you're welcome  :)

I'm just brutally honest. I don't claim to be polite here.
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline concur

• An Ordinary Man.
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
  • Wear your ego like a loose fitting garment
« Reply #16 on: 13:59 03-Feb-2018 »
then be ready to have a taste of your own medicine and don't mention the word polite...  :) 
Please ignore typos.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
― Gautama Buddha

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: 14:02 03-Feb-2018 »
then be ready to have a taste of your own medicine and don't mention the word polite...  :)

Touche. Now you have my respect. You have a good command of English :)

Offline concur

• An Ordinary Man.
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: 14:09 03-Feb-2018 »
Touche. Now you have my respect. You have a good command of English :)

;D I was about to post scanned copy of my IELTS certificate
Please ignore typos.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
― Gautama Buddha

Offline concur

• An Ordinary Man.
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: 16:14 03-Feb-2018 »
Ah, you mean "суміш"? It is pronounced "sumish", very easily spoken.

Well actually I meant смесь not суміш but they are synonyms of mix. I recalled this it saved Million $ but in different languages a simple word mix is wasting lot of money it seems  :)
Please ignore typos.

― Gautama Buddha

Offline sosednik

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 106
  • -Receive: 286
  • Героям слава! Смерть ворогам!
« Reply #20 on: 17:28 04-Feb-2018 »
For what little it's worth, here's my experience ...

My Russian language has not progressed beyond a very basic level, because I haven't made the consistent time investment necessary to build up my vocabulary and grammar.  I got good enough that I could manage ordinary practical matters as a solo traveler, which was my main motivation for studying in the first place.

However, my pronunciation is way above average for a non-native speaker, and certainly better than 99% of native Russian speakers when they speak English!

I know I make some pronunciation mistakes, but people I first meet sometimes take me for a native speaker (up to the point where I make my first error in grammar or usage, which usually happens pretty soon).

This can be disadvantageous, because when people take me for a native speaker they reply in a rapid-fire stream of idiomatic Russian, which I can scarcely comprehend.

I developed my pronunciation by spending many many many hours with audio language lessons while driving ... all 3 levels of Pimsleur, and the Penton set titled (as I recall) "learn in your car".  It's a matter of listening _carefully_ to the modeled speech, and listening just as carefully to my own voice when I reply to the prompts of the lessons.

Some sounds in Russian are still a struggle for me, despite all my practice.  For example, I tend to mess it up when I say ot-prav-LYA-yet-sya at normal tempo.

Russian learners who haven't already mastered a closely related language almost always make a pig's breakfast of the soft consonants, like the L sound in the female name Ol'ga.

Getting soft consonants right isn't all that difficult, but it takes a conscious effort to learn to pronounce them distinctly.  For example, compare the sound of dolga (meaning a long time) to Ol'ga.

Or more amusingly, mat (filthy language) to mat' (mother).

Another approach, is to not even try ... I was speaking with an American who had business interests in Russia, and asked him if he spoke the language.  He pronounced his answer like "yeah knee punny my you" (you have to imagine a bit of southern drawl to get the full effect).

Speaking Russian can be really useful in Ukraine, but in rural western Ukraine where I was recently living, not so much.  As people had warned me years before, some western Ukrainians will refuse to speak to you in Russian, or will pretend that they don't understand it, even though everybody there knows it.

Good luck with your studies!

Offline concur

• An Ordinary Man.
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: 20:24 04-Feb-2018 »

I found this they've word treasure to learn from and this website also has useful stuff.
Please ignore typos.

― Gautama Buddha

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3095
  • -Receive: 4811
  • What's the future ever done for me?
« Reply #22 on: 05:28 05-Feb-2018 »
This site has an excellent Russian program, not FREE, but totally worth it.

https://www.russianpod101.com/

Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline concur

• An Ordinary Man.
  • Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: 14:27 06-Feb-2018 »
This site has an excellent Russian program, not FREE, but totally worth it.

https://www.russianpod101.com/

They have a live TV also :)
Please ignore typos.

― Gautama Buddha

Offline steveo

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 411
  • Growing older is no excuse for growing up.
« Reply #24 on: 12:34 10-Feb-2018 »
The only way to get better at speaking, is to speak, doesn't matter what language you're talking about.

About 85% of the people I speak to in Kyiv, speak to me in Russian, the other 15% speak to me in Ukrainian, but generally are understanding of the fact that when I try to respond, I speak in surzhyk, a mix of Russian and Ukrainian. I learnt Russian first, and the transition to speaking Ukrainian, especially as most people continue to speak Russian in my neighbourhood, has made me a bit nervous when I speak Ukrainian.

It's better for your speaking, to have friends with people who don't speak English. Many of my close friends here don't speak English, or very limited English, they are happy enough to speak to me, and if I occasionally help them out with a few phrases in English they really appreciate it. I teach English here, and to stop myself always teaching...after hours as well as in class, I get friends who do know English to talk to me in English and I speak in Russian/Ukrainian, that's the best way to keep speaking. 
Keep calm and let karma do its thing.

Offline bzz

• Subscriber
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #25 on: 18:38 27-Feb-2018 »
3 beer glasses is my absolute minimum to try to speak any Russian to locals. I don't think I was ever able to get where I want with these conversations. However for me it is a great way to have some fun from time to time.

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: 20:13 27-Feb-2018 »
3 beer glasses is my absolute minimum to try to speak any Russian to locals. I don't think I was ever able to get where I want with these conversations. However for me it is a great way to have some fun from time to time.

You have to be drunk to understand Russian. It's a horrible language/culture, that's why they drink vodka so goddamn much.

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3095
  • -Receive: 4811
  • What's the future ever done for me?
« Reply #27 on: 05:41 28-Feb-2018 »

You have to be drunk to understand Russian. It's a horrible language/culture, that's why they drink vodka so goddamn much.

3 Beers? That's not even alcohol dude. When in Rome...drink vodka, Russian becomes much easier to communicate with the monkeys.
Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #28 on: 17:02 19-Mar-2018 »
I can generally speak and be understood, my malfunction is understanding when others speak to me. ???

I repeat back what I think they said and wait for clarification.

I know I will never speak fluently (or even close) so I just work on vocabulary.
This way I can say all the basic things and get by.
But again, because most conversations take place in a context, they understand. Without context, single words might not be understood.
Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."