Author Topic: Moving to the Ukraine with kids  (Read 6855 times)

Online Fraucha

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3095
  • -Receive: 4811
  • What's the future ever done for me?
Re: Moving to the Ukraine with kids
« Reply #15 on: 15:12 12-Jun-2012 »
Then perhaps, this will sway you to Ukraine.

Salo.

What else is there in life? Booze? Sex? But raw pig fat......ahhhhh

Peace is the failure of the military to convince the government that it can and should kick its enemies ass.

Offline xcomiii

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #16 on: 16:46 26-Oct-2012 »
I'm a Norwegian and have stayed in Ukraine (Odessa) for around 1,5 years now. Here is my opinions:

1. Ukraine is not a country of tolerance. It is pretty bad, maybe not in Odessa (port city, lots of foreigners), but in the rest of the country it is. Coming from a maybe too well tolerant country (sex, race, religion etc) , I'm maybe not the right to ask about this.

2. Most kids are fine as long as basic needs are covered. Security? Well, I am much more careful in Ukraine than I am in Norway, but again - it's dependent on where you come from and even what part of city you are coming from (if you are from a big city like NY, London etc).
Some of my own experiences:
  • A 10 year old boy in a neighboring class to my stepdaughter just disappeared from school in a session break, parents are still looking for him. Missing children are in a much greater scale than for example Western Europe. 
  • 2 weeks ago, a man was killed in a pedestrian crossing by a regular city bus
  • Huge amounts of street dogs, some are pretty ill and aggressive, barking and attacking bicycles, baby strollers etc
  • The death rate by traffic accident are much higher in Ukraine vs most other Western countries, due to traffic, low road quality, car safety, low driving skills (most people I know bought the driving licence for around 2000 UAH without having a single driving lesson)

My point: Be careful but not paranoid, and be especially alert in the roads and traffic. Red light doesn't mean that a car will actually stop. Children should be followed to school everyday and not left alone even in a playground outside your house.

3. I don't know about international school, other that it's expensive. My step children are going to a regular Russian school, and in average it's ok, but the English lessons are ridiculous due the very low language ability of the teachers (none of the English teacher I have spoken to, didn't understand my English nor did I understand what they where talking about). Even my Russian is better than the average level of English for the English teachers. But be prepared to spend money for school, even if it's free. Sometimes they need to buy a new door, curtains, windows etc and they charge parents for this. And of course the stupid tradition of giving loads of flowers/presents/chocolate/money to teacher before every holiday (fall, christmas, winter, easter etc), otherwise the teacher may put your child on a low priority list. I really don't understand what a teacher needs 30 buckets of flowers for.

4. This will vary from city to city, Kiev being the most expensive of course. But 4000-5000 UAH in a month is an absolutely minimum.

5. If you get sick, you will get a doctor. But be prepared to pay for examinations, medical supplies, cotton swabs, medicine etc. Some doctors and nurses requires you to "donate money to the hospital", others don't charge you. Bring your own toilet paper if you need, as  many places don't have this (and trust me, when children need to go to toilet you don't want to be out of toilet paper). If you have any serious diseases like cancer, HIV or anything that needs surgery you have to pay. How much depends on the doctor.

6. All schools are teaching Ukrainian and Russian and English, some also have French or German. The difference between Russian and Ukrainian schools is what language the teachers are speaking in the other lessons, for example in math and science.

7. Almost everyone is smoking in Ukraine, that's a fact. In a party like you mention, it should be no surprise that everyone is smoking, using drugs etc, just like any other party in a Western country. Common sense goes a long way here.

Offline Claus

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2616
  • -Receive: 801
« Reply #17 on: 17:26 26-Oct-2012 »
@excomii:

Well, first of all it is not the Ukraine, just Ukraine.

There is (naturally) nothing crazy about moving to Ukraine; I and a lot of other people on this forum did that.

Naturally, here are racists and bigots, but less bad than in the USA. However, there is a rather huge opposition to diverse 'pride'. 'Demonstrativeness' will be scorned and fought.

Well, Odessa is a nice town, perhaps boring for kids. No more/no less dangerous for kids than Amsterdam. He of course referred to white slavery and killing-for-organs.

Please, if the issue is to teach your kids English, Ukraine is not the relevant place to go! I say so, even if my wife is a highly estimated English teacher with the very best diploma. Go to England!

Full time nanny? Easy to find if you accept that she speaks only Ukrainian. But - do not take in anybody not recommended by smbdy you trust.

Doctors here are simply competent and brilliant; but you have to live with the fact, that there is no such thing as a 'family doctor' or a 'GP'. Must go see the poli-clinica.

Language issue is too complicated to answer briefly. But very simplified - would you go to Canada to learn Mexican?

Yes, everybody smokes! Whenever you see a teenage girl in the streets, she's smoking a cigarette. Open use of drugs, less than in Amsterdam. Adult movies, why not? but nothing compared to Copenhagen.

Nice, tolerant place here, Kyiv I mean. As Europe in my early youth

« Last Edit: 14:04 27-Mar-2013 by Claus »
j'y suis, j'y reste!