Author Topic: Slavery in Poland  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Kord

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 541
  • -Receive: 341
Re: Slavery in Poland
« Reply #15 on: 15:37 21-Sep-2018 »
I know a guy who goes to Poland and works for a company driving a truck. He drives for 3 months at a time.
 I think he is living in that truck for 3 months.  ???

Maybe it has a sleeper cab? Many truck drivers sleep in their rigs.

Yeah that is assumed but 3 months alone in a truck is a bit much.

Maybe he was not always alone )

Doesn't have to be bad...

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 94
« Reply #16 on: 13:23 06-Jan-2019 »
I know a guy who goes to Poland and works for a company driving a truck. He drives for 3 months at a time.
 I think he is living in that truck for 3 months.  ???

Maybe it has a sleeper cab? Many truck drivers sleep in their rigs.

Yeah that is assumed but 3 months alone in a truck is a bit much.

Maybe he was not always alone )

Doesn't have to be bad...

Is that the cab of a truck? Been a long time since I climbed up in one. The last one I recall just kinda had a large mattress behind the seats. I drive by ones where the cab looks larger, never looked in one.
Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
« Reply #17 on: 16:34 06-Jan-2019 »
That's the 'sleeper' behind the cab. They can be as plush or as spartan as you want but it costs big time for the fancy ones. The uni-built cabs (sleeper and cab combimation) give mor floor space because the front seats swivel around and recline like a Lazy-boy. Much nicer to relax during you off duty hours out on the super slab.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline kyivkpic

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1605
  • -Receive: 1502
« Reply #18 on: 17:50 07-Jan-2019 »
That's the 'sleeper' behind the cab. They can be as plush or as spartan as you want but it costs big time for the fancy ones. The uni-built cabs (sleeper and cab combimation) give mor floor space because the front seats swivel around and recline like a Lazy-boy. Much nicer to relax during you off duty hours out on the super slab.

I've seen videos of the newest ones all decked like a RV with a sink, toilet and shower. What kind of trucking can actually make a profit with cost and maintenance of those things? What are private owner operators hauling to pay for it? I assume big companies don't buy them for hired truckers.
Твоя голова всегда в ответе за то, куда сядет твой зад.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 94
« Reply #19 on: 10:54 15-Jan-2019 »

I've seen videos of the newest ones all decked like a RV with a sink, toilet and shower. What kind of trucking can actually make a profit with cost and maintenance of those things? What are private owner operators hauling to pay for it? I assume big companies don't buy them for hired truckers.

No, I would think these are for Owner-operators. They are a significant portion of longhaul trucking.

Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
« Reply #20 on: 14:38 22-Jan-2019 »
Because of the lack of good drivers and their willingness to jump ship for better pay and conditions the fleets are forced to start paying more and providing better, nicer trucks for them. That seems to keep the drivers happier. :D
 Once I was offered a new truck to run around stateside by a small fleet owner but I had to commit for at least 3 months one winter. ( Mostly because I knew how to drive in winter conditions) It was my off season but the $.25 per mile offer just wouldn't cut it. I was required to off load what ever by myself (off duty because I was paid by the mile) or I'd hire workers / lumpers to do it out of my pocket.

Needless to say I passed on that offer but there were many back then that would have jumped on it.

I understand that things are changing, mostly for the better but now the electronic logs and the vast amount of government paperwork needed is crazy. And if you don't kow-tow to the government they fine you with some hefty dollar amounts.

I'd hate to be a young buck just starting out in this game now.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff