Author Topic: weapons permit renewals  (Read 949 times)

Offline William4

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 15
weapons permit renewals
« on: 16:06 23-Sep-2018 »
For general interest..

I have 2 registered weapons (in my wife's name) a shotgun and AK.  Never noticed, but the registration is good for 3 years then needs to be renewed.  Seems our permit expired in 2017 and so a police officer stopped by our house recently to check on status.  We had to go to a special department to renew.  Besides application and some UAH, had to give police 3 spent shell casings from each weapon.  Should receive new registration in 2 weeks or so.

So, if you have a weapons permit, you might wish to check when it expires.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 94
Re: weapons permit renewals
« Reply #1 on: 00:03 24-Sep-2018 »
Thats an interesting story.
Where did the AK come from (if you wish to tell). I  went in a gun store in fairly small city I casnt recall the nae and they had AKs and ARs in the rack. They seemed real. I know there is a mini industry of converting actual guns into air or gas guns.
Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Offline mizugami7523

• Subscriber
  • Expat VS
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #2 on: 04:55 24-Sep-2018 »
What are the laws concerning having a pistol in Ukraine? And reloading?
Money isn't everything......lack of money is everything

Offline William4

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: 07:21 24-Sep-2018 »
I bought the AK at a regular gun store in Kiev.  It was disabled so can't fire on automatic.  Though they told me it be restored to full glamour, but I haven't bothered.  I bought it new, but it was originally manufactured in late 60's.

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 94
« Reply #4 on: 10:45 26-Sep-2018 »
I bought the AK at a regular gun store in Kiev.  It was disabled so can't fire on automatic.  Though they told me it be restored to full glamour, but I haven't bothered.  I bought it new, but it was originally manufactured in late 60's.

Where was it made?  And what documents were needed to buy it?
Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
« Reply #5 on: 23:02 26-Sep-2018 »
Unless you're Ukrainian you're not allowed to own any firearms. Your wife can and you're allowed to 'borrow' it for up to 3 days with written permission. Low powered air guns are allowed but not the high pressured ones.
 Smooth bore(non rifled barrels) floberts might be OK but I'm not sure yet.

Reloading for high powered firearms and pistols is a no no but shotguns are OK.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Pantherdk

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 63
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #6 on: 00:03 27-Sep-2018 »
What is meant by "reloading" i understand whats the normal on this word is, but cannot be that your talking about here because how will you shoot without reloading

Tnic

« Reply #7 on: 04:44 27-Sep-2018 »
What is meant by "reloading" i understand whats the normal on this word is, but cannot be that your talking about here because how will you shoot without reloading

He's probably talking about reloading a primer, powder and bullet into the shell casing.  So reloading the ammo rather than the gun.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 07:44 27-Sep-2018 »
Right.. Basicly hand building new "reloaded " cartridges instead of using factory ones.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Jay

• Subscriber
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 888
  • -Receive: 314
« Reply #9 on: 10:46 27-Sep-2018 »
Right.. Basicly hand building new "reloaded " cartridges instead of using factory ones.

Used to do that  as a kid with my grandfathers  shotgun cartridges  -- remove the size 4 shot   and replace it with much lighter shot  that we retrieved by sieving soil at the local gun club ( when it was closed !!)
Repacked it in cartridge and back in box --just like brand new !
Grandfather was often complaining that his cartridges were not as effective as they used to be !!
The size 4 was particularly effective in our "gings" ( shanghai/slingshot/catapault) that we constructed into a really powerful weapon !
We also made a more powerful version  at a rifle size that had amazing range!

Our other piece of tech was  a "cannon" that utilised a now illegal firecracker called a penny bunger (  about 100mm X 20mm with a wick-- you lit and it went off with a serious bang)  . The  trick was matching the tube ( barrell) to the exact ball bearing size so that the cracker was all wadded to maximise the explosion. By trial and error-- we got this thing incredibly accurate -- and effective !

The very same penny bunger was a might effective letter box destroyer too !! :o
Needless to say--it is now on the banned list here -- and the celebration of Guy Fawkes day  near enough non existent these days !!

Offline Pantherdk

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 63
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
« Reply #10 on: 13:37 27-Sep-2018 »

Ahh thx...
That make more sense :)

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 15:40 27-Sep-2018 »
 :D :D   We called them Cherry bombs because of the color then there were the M-80's that were more powerful.  I used to have access to a 'seal bomb' used by commercial fishermen to drive off seals from the fishing nets.  Weighted so they sink and should give the seals and sea lions one heck of a head ache.

ince I had black powder handy I never tried to use firecrackers of any size to use in  a cannon of sorts. But I did burn many pounds of BP.

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: 22:06 11-Oct-2018 »
Note that these rules are for Ukrainians only..

To get a gun for self-defense or a hunting gun revolver, it is enough to collect three certificates: from doctors, about the lack of judgment and, in a specific case, about the ability to handle this weapon.

The details of obtaining weapons permits were disclosed by the Head of the Permit System for Preventive Activity Management of the State Enterprise of the State Enterprise in Cherkasy region Ruslan Lysenko , informs UNN-Center.

"To obtain permission for a gun gun, you need to collect a certificate of legality and medical certificate. Anyone who reaches the age of 18 can apply for such a means of self-defense. The same thing - for those who want to buy hunting smooth-bore weapons, only when they reach the age of 21. Those who plan to buy hunting rifles need to reach the age of 25 and undergo training and get a certificate of studying the material part of the weapon and the rules of handling it. These documents are handed over to us by citizens and receive permits ", - Ruslan Lysenko told.

Citizens must apply for such permissions either to the named department or to their district office at the place of residence. Medical certificate of the established sample can be arranged in a medical institution at the place of residence. In it, six people, including a narcologist and a psychiatrist, are certified to be worthy of a citizen's health. If there is a contraindication, such a certificate will not be given to a citizen.

Among other things, after acquiring a weapon, a citizen must arrange an insurance contract of civil liability in any insurance company and pay a state duty for the total amount of 107.40 UAH.

According to Ruslan Lysenko, a gas cartridge is a much better means of self-defense than the same gun. It's easy to snap it out quickly. So guns are usually bought by real hunters.

"There is also the possibility of acquiring traumatic weapons. But such weapons can only be purchased by 6 categories of citizens: law enforcement officers, servicemen, fish inspectors, civil servants, journalists and members of public organizations for the protection of public order, which carry the public safety service, "added Ruslan Lysenko.

The permit for the acquisition of weapons is issued for a period of 3 months, a storage permit - for 3 years. After this term has expired, the citizen must undergo a re-registration, that is, to re-enter the medical profession and allow the employees of the permit system to inspect their weapons and their storage location.

https://provce.ck.ua/cherkaschanam-dlya-otrymannya-myslyvskoji-rushnytsi-dostatno-troh-dovidok/