Author Topic: Perhaps this is where I introduce myself?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline captjag

• Subscriber
  • Expat Messenger
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • I'm new here - please be gentle with me!!
Perhaps this is where I introduce myself?
« on: 11:39 29-Sep-2018 »
Hello all;

I'm John. I currently live in Tulsa Oklahoma USA. I have been acquainted with the Russian speaking population of our city for 20 some odd years. I have traveled to Ukraine more times than I can remember and have been, and driven across country from Kiev to Sevastopol and Kharkiv to Kolomia. I was acquainted with a young lady from Kharkiv who had a son, Sergei, who was on a work exchange visa working in the Boston area when the war was going hot and heavy. They were going around cities with military busses collecting young men to take to the fight. She, Sveta, asked if I could help keep Sergei safe. I brought him to Tulsa and applied for a variance to his status to student and put him in school. Sergei lived with me for a little over 2 years. I had lost my son and only child some years earlier, so Sergei and I developed a special bond. This is how an Irish American became part of a wonderful family in Ukraine. I have visited them multiple times and now, have met someone there and we plan to be married. To me, Ukraine represents a wonderful place full of great people and a great culture. I love being there. I am a few years from retirement, but Larysa, my fiance', keeps trying to talk me into taking early retirement and moving with her in Kharkiv. Believe me, it is very tempting to get away from the fast pace life I live working in Aerospace and trying to develop my own commercial property here. But I am not ready because I want to develop a residence in Ukraine, possibly some business interests there as well as having a base in this country. I prefer to be free to move back and forth at will. So I am not ready yet. But, when I have my commercial property here remodeled and rented, Larysa and I will have our freedom. Contemplating these plans, there are many questions I need to answer for myself. Larysa can help me a lot but she can't answer some of the questions she never had reason to entertain in the past that has to do with trying to develop the kind of future that we will build together. My hopes in joining this forum is to answer any and all questions as time goes by so my transition is a safe, smooth and happy one. So...Hello all, let's talk!

Tnic

Re: Perhaps this is where I introduce myself?
« Reply #1 on: 14:19 29-Sep-2018 »
Greetings John from a retired USAF 1st Sgt.

Ask away.

You've been here enough to have a feel for what to expect living here, but you're sure to find a few surprises too.  Kharkiv is a big enough burg that you should be able to find most of the things that will keep you sane.  For the stuff you can't find there's always vodka.  Or Meest Intl shipping, but vodka's cheaper.  :D

Offline K24

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 137
  • -Receive: 150
« Reply #2 on: 15:46 29-Sep-2018 »
Welcome and good luck to you!

Offline Darren Jones

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 109
  • -Receive: 136
« Reply #3 on: 10:04 02-Oct-2018 »
Welcome, looks like you have had a hell of a Ukrainian journey so far