Author Topic: Any thoughts on filing taxes? Crapping a brick over here.  (Read 865 times)

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 94
So now tax time is coming up (US) and I am ill prepared.

My visa does not end until aug  and yet I have rather complicated taxes.
-Part of the year I had income as a subcontractor.
-part of the year my house has been rented.

Other income sources are not complicated.

I have never done taxes for a rental property, the service I am using of course has provided me with a "misc. income" document. But I am not sure how or what deductions I should take over than the mortgage.

Would it be possible to delay filing until I return by simply making a generous payment?

*Another concern is, at this filing I will have more income shown, when I file next year, assuming I extend my visa, I will have much less income which could prevent me from reaching the income requirement, should I get married.
Is it true they only consider income and not any savings, retirement or assets? 

Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
Are you paying quarterly taxes?  I've always filed an extension for taxes..  ( Most audits are scheduled by April 14) Filing later reduces any chance of an audit to a fraction of a percent.  Extensions are easy and your tax guy will know how.  No you don't pay tax unless you have some sort of income. IE  Stocks/bonds unless you get a dividend.

Are you paying a management company for keeping track of your rental property?  That's a deduction.,. Claim everything that your can if it's legit.. It's your money you're keeping.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Offline Danno99

• Subscriber
  • Expat VSOP
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 94
Are you paying quarterly taxes?  I've always filed an extension for taxes..  ( Most audits are scheduled by April 14) Filing later reduces any chance of an audit to a fraction of a percent.  Extensions are easy and your tax guy will know how.  No you don't pay tax unless you have some sort of income. IE  Stocks/bonds unless you get a dividend.

Are you paying a management company for keeping track of your rental property?  That's a deduction.,. Claim everything that your can if it's legit.. It's your money you're keeping.

WHILE  I am required to file quarterly I never have, and a few years they hit me with a penalty which was less than paying an accountant 4 times. 

How long can an extension be for?

On the rental property, naturally their fee would be deductible and I assume the mortgage and insurance for those months too?
Montaigne's axiom: "Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."

Offline AkMike

• Administrator
  • I live here
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2504
  • -Receive: 1921
I usually finished the paperwork in Aug. and file then.

You'll need to talk with your tax guy for the other answers `cause I had a different set up.
In Russia we only had two TV channels. Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you: Turn back at once to Channel One. Yakov Smirnoff

Tnic

Call the IRS and ask Dan.  They were very helpful with me and all was resolved over the phone.

Be prepared to wait on hold for an agent.
https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance

I'm inclined to agree with Mike (I know, shocking).  An extension is likely your best bet.

UKUA

I'm inclined to agree with Mike (I know, shocking). 

:o Shock, horror  :o ;D