Business and jobs > Setting up a business

Setting up a charitable organization to benefit Ukrainians

(1/3) > >>

captjag:
I am considering setting up a charitable organization in USA for the benefit of the homeless in Ukraine. Anyone who can point me to information that is pertinent would be appreciated. I have connections in Kharkiv and spend a lot of time there. Chances are, this will be where we launch the program. Thanks

David Rochlin:
Why do you want to start one rather than raise funds or volunteer with some existing Org ?  For example, I think "The Way Home" raises funds in the U.S. for a number of Orgs and causes in Ukraine.  I donated to one of them called "This Child Here," (now defunct) that was based in Odessa.
http://streetkidsodessa.com/

Anyway, since "The Way Home" appears to be still around and raising money in the U.S. for ages, maybe contacting them and discussing with their people might be a good model and source of information.

UKUA:

--- Quote from: David Rochlin on 01:34 15-Oct-2018 ---Why do you want to start one rather than raise funds or volunteer with some existing Org ?  For example, I think "The Way Home" raises funds in the U.S. for a number of Orgs and causes in Ukraine.  I donated to one of them called "This Child Here," (now defunct) that was based in Odessa.

Anyway, since "The Way Home" appears to be still around and raising money in the U.S. for ages, maybe contacting them and discussing with their people might be a good model and source of information.

--- End quote ---

Yes, "The Way Home" is an excellent charity, open and honest. Like David, I have donated to the original "This Child Here" many times over the years.

They have a number of projects on the go designed to keep the youngsters off the streets as well as providing work experience for the older children.

Danno99:
I had a meeting with someone running a fairly large org doing a number of such services, he wanted me to start a vocation school for the adults they assist. As much as I would like to help, I dont know what help I could be with minimal language skills.
He took me to a building behind a residence center which would be ideal, inside there were a few old tools one being this mammoth jointer with a cutter head maybe 18" wide.

Maybe it filled the role of a surface planner, though I dont know how you could apply constant pressure. 

UKUA:

--- Quote from: David Rochlin on 01:34 15-Oct-2018 ---Why do you want to start one rather than raise funds or volunteer with some existing Org ?  For example, I think "The Way Home" raises funds in the U.S. for a number of Orgs and causes in Ukraine.  I donated to one of them called "This Child Here," (now defunct) that was based in Odessa.

--- End quote ---

David, for some reason, I lost touch with the Pastor Robert who was running the now seemingly defunct, "This Child Here". The largest project was the import of used bicycles donated by kind Americans. I believe he was upset and angry with me as I assured him all would be OK. However, the odious Odessa customs at the time tried to screw him for an inflated value and therefore exorbitant taxes and add-ons were expected. This made the whole scheme too expensive, so it was abandoned and the bicycles were left in the port. Some frackers have no souls, no feelings for those less fortunate than themselves, no remorse and live day-by-day with a screw you attitude. Frack them.

Should you see anyone riding American bicycles, perhaps they are family and friends of the then customs department.

We are looking at least 14/15 years ago.

Danno's post of today reminded me I should at least attempt to ascertain how the charity fares today. I located this:

This Child Here

Pastor Robert Gamble is the Executive Director and I can see he has returned to the States but the charity continues to be active.

From the site:

People change people.
Not stuff, not giveaways.
Education changes people but there's always that teacher.
Faith changes people but who was it that led you to faith?
When I first moved to Odessa, Ukraine, I crawled under abandoned buildings and stepped down ladders under manhole covers into the sewer systems to find street kids. I wanted them to leave the streets come to the shelter. They knew it, but rarely did.
We learned that street kids came from orphanages. That's when we started sending teams of three to work in orphanages to help kids build trust and supportive community.

We did this also in public schools with kids at risk to go to the streets. We sent people to change people.
The government of Ukraine must have decided that people change people when they announced they would close all orphanages and move kids to foster care. Soon we had classrooms with foster parents. Now every foster family in the city of Odessa is trained by us. We teach them to be people who change people.

And all was well until there came a war, a revolution and then a war between Ukraine and Russia.
That's when we started doing things that make for peace.  We have a Peace Camp for refugees by the sea during in the summers.

Families come, parents and children. We teach teenagers how to manage conflict.

It's quiet now on the eastern front;they have a cease-fire. Nothing moves.
But I will tell you what is happening and it is not good: resentment, distrust, and animosity between pro-Russians and pro-Ukrainians living in Ukraine. Neighbors are divided; families are divided.

We are working to train people who will change people.

It has been over eleven years since I first moved to Ukraine. Those who have supported This Child Here have touched the lives, changed the lives of many, many people, not just hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of youth and children we have worked with, but the lives also of those who work with those youth and children.

We have great people working for This Child Here. Government agencies want us. Faith based programs want us. The people that work for This Child Here are the best and the brightest. They are smart, committed and caring. They work out of love for what they do.

That gratitude I see in their eyes when I am working with them... to be able to do what they love and get paid for it.... I am passing that on to you.

Robert Gamble, Executive Director :  robertgam@gmail.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version